Read It and Weep, Libs

I get the feeling you didn't read your own post. This is not a win for the Reps, yet. We'll have to see how it all works out first.

Yeah.
The Democrats are going to sweep all the races based on their support for the popular Obamacare initiative and moves to boost this economy to the most productive we've ever seen. The wildly popular Pres Obama will wow crowds and win the day, even for candidates who are multiple points down in the polls.
You want more of this shit I'm smoking?

Gerrymandering is a loss for the American people. It should be illegal.

How do you propose to set district lines then?
how about as close to geographic lines as possible taking into account city/county lines

Who gets to place the lines? It has to be based on population - each district to represent a certain amount of people. County lines don't do that - one county could have 5 times as many people as the next one.

Whoever gets to place the lines has an advantage. That's what Gerrymandering is.

How do you propose to set district lines then?
how about as close to geographic lines as possible taking into account city/county lines

Who gets to place the lines? It has to be based on population - each district to represent a certain amount of people. County lines don't do that - one county could have 5 times as many people as the next one.

Whoever gets to place the lines has an advantage. That's what Gerrymandering is.
if you re-read my post, and think more clearly, you will get the meaning of what i said
of course districts have to be population based
but how about drawing those lines using city/county lines as guidelines and geographic lines as well
granted you will not ALWAYS be able to draw the lines and stay withn the others, but at least TRY and lets not make a district that has parts that dont even touch each other

if you re-read my post, and think more clearly, you will get the meaning of what i said
but how about drawing those lines using city/county lines as guidelines and geographic lines as well
granted you will not ALWAYS be able to draw the lines and stay withn the others, but at least TRY and lets not make a district that has parts that dont even touch each other

Actually, there is a law, at least in NY, that every district must be continuous - no parts that don't touch.

I do understand what you're saying - but the point that I'm trying to make is that no matter what, SOMEONE has to draw the lines. Even if they stick on county lines, or city lines - some counties have less than a district's worth of people, and some have more - SOMEONE has to decide how to split a county, or add 2 counties together.

And as long as SOMEONE is deciding, they'll make those decisions based on politics.

Actually, there is a law, at least in NY, that every district must be continuous - no parts that don't touch.

I do understand what you're saying - but the point that I'm trying to make is that no matter what, SOMEONE has to draw the lines. Even if they stick on county lines, or city lines - some counties have less than a district's worth of people, and some have more - SOMEONE has to decide how to split a county, or add 2 counties together.

And as long as SOMEONE is deciding, they'll make those decisions based on politics.
yes, but i remember in TX they had that law, so they made a district that followed the I-35 and ballooned out on certain areas to get the people they wanted in that district and the only thing those areas had in common was democrats
LOL
that shouldnt be allowed either

yes, but i remember in TX they had that law, so they made a district that followed the I-35 and ballooned out on certain areas to get the people they wanted in that district and the only thing those areas had in common was democrats
LOL

No, they do that in NY too. There are some districts that have portions that only include lakes, or public parks - in order to make them continuous. Except the district lines are drawn by the State Senate, which has been Republican controlled from the 1940s - 2008, so they're mostly gerrymandered to help Republicans.

LOL

No, they do that in NY too. There are some districts that have portions that only include lakes, or public parks - in order to make them continuous. Except the district lines are drawn by the State Senate, which has been Republican controlled from the 1940s - 2008, so they're mostly gerrymandered to help Republicans.
i dont want lines drawn to help ANYONE
they should be as neutral as possible

LOL

The point is, there's no such thing as an impartial person to draw the lines - what do you do when there are 2 equally valid options, one favoring Dems, the other favoring Reps?

The point is, there's no such thing as an impartial person to draw the lines - what do you do when there are 2 equally valid options, one favoring Dems, the other favoring Reps?
how about find another option?

That's the point.

Someone has to make the decision. And NO ONE is completely impartial. No matter what lines are drawn, one or both parties will complain that it helps the other side more.

There's no easy answer to this.

That's the point.

Someone has to make the decision. And NO ONE is completely impartial. No matter what lines are drawn, one or both parties will complain that it helps the other side more.

no one said there was an EASY answer
but it takes people of integrity to compromise on issues like this

That's the point.

no one said there was an EASY answer
but it takes people of integrity to compromise on issues like this

And there's a staggering shortage of people of integrity in politics, on both sides of the aisle.

Forum List

Back