Rand Paul is not a certified Doctor

I'd like to get right to the bottom line here: this story has fuck-all to do with Rand Paul's qualifications for the office for which he's campaigning, and as such, is an utterly pathetic attempt at mudslinging by his opponents.

Ok lets get at that. What are Rand Pauls qualifications to be a US senator?

Has he held any other public office?

He is of course a military veteran?

How are those qualifications for public office? If all we had running for office are former office holders we'd have a pretty sorry lot to choose from. And what does being a veteran have to do with it? If he had done a couple tours in Iraq or Afghanistan he'd somehow have the knowledge to deal with everything that comes up for a U.S. Senator? Unlikely.

And, of course, you leave an out for the head of the ABO by making a claim that it's somehow different to be certified by the same group you're the head of so long as you were certified before you became the head.

I would make that distinction.

When Dr. Clarkson was certified he had no control over the process. I see nothing wrong with him becoming the President of the organization at a later date. I would suspect that whoever was the President would be certified.

I would expect Dr. Rand to be certified by his own board, in fact, I would find it odd if he was not. However, having control of such an organization requires extra scrutiny to make certain that all your I's are dotted and all your T's are crossed. As long as Dr. Rand has met the qualifications of the board at the same standards as all others who are certified from the board there is no problem at all.

As Cecilie has stated above none of this has anything at all to do with the job he is being "interviewed" for. One last thing, he is licensed by the state. One would be led to believe that as long as he is licensed he is qualified to do the job of the profession that he is in. Qualified and competent to do so.

Immie

And yet you are not operating under the assumption that Rand only started his own certification board to make it easier on himself to get certified, as it is apparent so many others are.

No, I am not, but I will admit to that having been in the back of my mind.

Immie

I'd like to get right to the bottom line here: this story has fuck-all to do with Rand Paul's qualifications for the office for which he's campaigning, and as such, is an utterly pathetic attempt at mudslinging by his opponents.

How are those qualifications for public office? If all we had running for office are former office holders we'd have a pretty sorry lot to choose from. And what does being a veteran have to do with it? If he had done a couple tours in Iraq or Afghanistan he'd somehow have the knowledge to deal with everything that comes up for a U.S. Senator? Unlikely.

Just remembering digs against Hillary and Obama and other lefties from the Paulists.

And in any case we still have a very sorry lot to choose from.

When Dr. Clarkson was certified he had no control over the process. I see nothing wrong with him becoming the President of the organization at a later date. I would suspect that whoever was the President would be certified.

I would expect Dr. Rand to be certified by his own board, in fact, I would find it odd if he was not. However, having control of such an organization requires extra scrutiny to make certain that all your I's are dotted and all your T's are crossed. As long as Dr. Rand has met the qualifications of the board at the same standards as all others who are certified from the board there is no problem at all.

As Cecilie has stated above none of this has anything at all to do with the job he is being "interviewed" for. One last thing, he is licensed by the state. One would be led to believe that as long as he is licensed he is qualified to do the job of the profession that he is in. Qualified and competent to do so.

Immie

And yet you are not operating under the assumption that Rand only started his own certification board to make it easier on himself to get certified, as it is apparent so many others are.

Immie

With no evidence? That's a shame.

Just remembering digs against Hillary and Obama and other lefties from the Paulists.

I think you're confusing Ron Paul supporters with some other group that thinks those "issues" are relevant.

Kevin, I don't know how to make this any clearer.

It is a conflict of interest to be certified by the group you are the president of...in both cases, the president should not be certified unless he was certified before he became president.

And, of course, you leave an out for the head of the ABO by making a claim that it's somehow different to be certified by the same group you're the head of so long as you were certified before you became the head.

Immie

Not only is he duly licensed to practice by his state, but no one has yet alleged that there have been any complaints against him made to the state medical board, or censures issued by them. As far as I'm concerned, that closes the conversation . . . particularly when conversing about "character" with people who wouldn't recognize it if it crawled up their pants leg.

Immie

Immie

The OP's article made it clear why Paul chose to start his own group, and it had nothing to do with any problems getting himself certification with the ABO. Even his opponents haven't dared to imply that (because they know they would be opening themselves up to a libel suit, and rightly so), but they would just LOVE it if people would infer that from their stomping and screaming about absolutely nothing.

I think you're confusing Ron Paul supporters with some other group that thinks those "issues" are relevant.

Not here in KY. TYhe Rand Paul supporters are mostly ex 2X Bush voters.
Remember the thread is about Rand Paul. I know it is easy to get confused in political dynasties.

I live here, I know.

KY tea Partiers are virtually all ex Bush supporters.

Last edited:

Immie

Not only is he duly licensed to practice by his state, but no one has yet alleged that there have been any complaints against him made to the state medical board, or censures issued by them. As far as I'm concerned, that closes the conversation . . . particularly when conversing about "character" with people who wouldn't recognize it if it crawled up their pants leg.

I thought about suggesting that those who were so convinced that his character was in question because of this should look up to see if there had been any complaints against him. I chose not to because I figured it wouldn't do any good.

With no evidence? That's a shame.

No evidence except for human nature.

Immie

And yet it's clear from the fact that he had been certified by the ABO in the past, that him being unable to become re-certified unlikely.

Yes, I agree with this, that was why the thought was only in the back of my mind. When this thread started, I had no problem at all about the fact that he was certified by the NBO and not the ABO. Then I went to find what the difference in the certifications were if any and could not find a website for the NBO. Not having a website is not proof of it not being a reputable organization, but I would think an organization that large (seemingly so) would have one, if for no other reason than that patients would be able to find certified doctors in their field.

The fact that I searched through 10 pages on the Yahoo Search Engine and the only references I could find about it were from Ophthalmologists who said they had never heard about it, or copies of the article from the OP, set read flags off in my head. No one in the profession has heard of it? That is hard to believe anyway, none of that is proof of any wrongdoing, just suspicious.

Immie

Immie

The OP's article made it clear why Paul chose to start his own group, and it had nothing to do with any problems getting himself certification with the ABO. Even his opponents haven't dared to imply that (because they know they would be opening themselves up to a libel suit, and rightly so), but they would just LOVE it if people would infer that from their stomping and screaming about absolutely nothing.

The OP gave Paul's reasons for choosing to start his own group. Which may or may not be factual. Do you think Paul would tell us if he was denied certification because he had failed a written exam, or failed to maintain continuing ed standards? I doubt it.

One must decide whether or not he is trustworthy. I stated it was in the back of my mind. That simply means that I accept his statements, but leave room for further information.

Immie

Last edited:

Not here in KY. TYhe Rand Paul supporters are mostly ex 2X Bush voters.
Remember the thread is about Rand Paul. I know it is easy to get confused in political dynasties.

I live here, I know.

KY tea Partiers are virtually all ex Bush supporters.

No, I got confused because you referenced "Paulists" complaining about the lack of military background of Hillary and Obama, and since that took place in the context of a discussion regarding an election I assumed you meant those claims were made by Ron Paul supporters about Hillary and Obama during the Presidential campaign. And since bringing up that non-issue about Hillary or Obama at this point in time really makes no sense.

Immie

The OP gave Paul's reasons for choosing to start his own group. Which may or may not be factual. Do you think Paul would tell us if he was denied certification because he had failed a written exam, or failed to maintain continuing ed standards? I doubt it.

One must decide whether or not he is trustworthy. I stated it was in the back of my mind. That simply means that I accept his statements, but leave room for further information.

Immie

And yet if there were some actual troubles with him getting re-certified you would think the ABO would point that out, if only to make themselves look better in response to Paul's claim that they're a group that discriminates.

Immie

And yet if there were some actual troubles with him getting re-certified you would think the ABO would point that out, if only to make themselves look better in response to Paul's claim that they're a group that discriminates.

Of course you would.

Remember, I said it was only in the back of my mind and a lot of that is because I have become very skeptical of the honesty of politicians in general lately.

By all evidence, there is nothing wrong here, but then I think back to, "I did not have sex with that woman... Ms. Lewinsky" and Lord knows how many other lies we have been told by politicians to cover their asses lately and well... my faith in politicians is waning.

And as far as I can tell... Rand Paul is a politician.

Immie

Immie

Of course you would.

Remember, I said it was only in the back of my mind and a lot of that is because I have become very skeptical of the honesty of politicians in general lately.

By all evidence, there is nothing wrong here, but then I think back to, "I did not have sex with that woman... Ms. Lewinsky" and Lord knows how many other lies we have been told by politicians to cover their asses lately and well... my faith in politicians is waning.

Immie

Well there's nothing wrong with a healthy distrust in politicians and government in general.

Of course you would.

Immie

Well there's nothing wrong with a healthy distrust in politicians and government in general.

Healthy distrust is one thing, but I think I'm getting to the point where I simply see evil in all of them and quite frankly, I don't think that is fair.

Fair or not, it is the way I feel.

Immie

Of course you would.

Immie

Healthy distrust is one thing, but I think I'm getting to the point where I simply see evil in all of them and quite frankly, I don't think that is fair.

Fair or not, it is the way I feel.

Immie

The history of government shows that that assessment is more than fair.

There are lots of other Democrat politicians, and lots of other scandals since you've been here. Feel free to link me to ANY time you've EVER pitched a hissy fit over ANY Democrat's "lack of character".

Once again it's not Ravi's job to disprove your claims it would be your job to back them up.

Although it's interesting that your claims suddenly jumped from "you defended Clinton" to "you never went after the Dems hard enough"

You wanna talk character how about someone who makes wild unfounded claims to smear people.

Last edited:
Actually, I went back and looked, I had missed the change. You were discussing Clarkson and I was discussing Paul.

He does not, IMO, make himself look suspicious because the average patient that enters his office is not going to look into his certification. "Wow, Dr. Rand is certified by the National Board of Ophthalmologists, he must be good". That is all that they care about. Quite truthfully, I don't think I would explore the meaning behind the certification, in fact, I know I would not. Because two of my children had eye surgery from an Ophthalmologist and I don't even know for a fact that she was certified. I know she was highly recommended by a friend of mine who is an Optometrist, but I could not say for sure that she is certified by either the ABO or the NBO although, my guess is that she is.

Immie
That's what makes it so suspicious, IMO...he knows no one is going to check his credentials so he shouldn't perpetuate this fallacy.

Any idea why people put initials after their name? Any idea why people get certified by these things?

E

G

O

period!

Immie

PS, I hope you do not have initials after your name! :lol:

Ego has nothing to do with anything.

Now what's all the talk about meaningless titles?

-The Reverend James Teunis Beukema

Forum List

Back