Raising Your Child as an Atheist.

Note that if you are a Christian it is a sin not to raise your child up in the church.....

yep they have everything covered from death to birth. they are the masters of brainwashing and mind control

Wow, now i understand you a little better and I'm sorry you had a shitty childhood. It sounds like why your mother I'm sure loved you she looked upon her motherly duties as something she had to do but not wanting to do it.

Not putting your mother down for my mom I bet makes Mommy Dearest look like a saint but I just wanted to say so often people have kids when they are not ready, and therefore many times they go about raising them as a Chore instead of looking at it differently.

What the Hell are you talking about?

What is wrong with people? Seriously.

My mother just doesn't raise her children to do whatever the Hell they please in her house. No, we could not cuss at her in public. No we didn't get to "decide" if we went to church or not, just like we didn't decide to take baths, brush our teeth, and go to school.

There were somethings I could not do in my house. There were some things I had to do in my house. I had to do chores. I had to clean. I had to bring home good grades. And I HAD to go to church. She went to work, paid the bills, took care of me when I was sick, while she suffered from heart disease, and still does.

There was ORDER and peace in that house, because we knew our role as children and she knew her role as a parent.

I sat in a church with a suit on every Sunday. Three hours, no air conditioning in central Mississippi, Mt Zion Apostolic Faith Church. I'm no where near as religious as she is and I'm not apostolic anymore I'm Seventh Day Adventist and attend a Shabbat Class at a WCG church instead of church on Sunday. She's fine with it. She grew up far more structured then I did. Her father was the son of a Pentecostal preacher. Her parents woke up every morning at 4 in the am and all of her 14 brothers and sisters had to study the Bible with them and pray before going to school.

You can mock that way of life and call it indoctrination all you want but it taught me and her both structure, discipline, responsibility, love and compassion for family, and respect for adults, tradition, and authority. I'm not saying you have to be religious to teach those values to your children, but letting your children do whatever the Hell they please does not teach them discipline. And to accuse parents who take their children to church of somehow brainwashing their children is bullshit. Period.

:clap2:

forcing your religion on your children without offering them alternatives is indoctrination.

period.

any denial of this is bull shit.

What the Hell are you talking about?

What is wrong with people? Seriously.

My mother just doesn't raise her children to do whatever the Hell they please in her house. No, we could not cuss at her in public. No we didn't get to "decide" if we went to church or not, just like we didn't decide to take baths, brush our teeth, and go to school.

There were somethings I could not do in my house. There were some things I had to do in my house. I had to do chores. I had to clean. I had to bring home good grades. And I HAD to go to church. She went to work, paid the bills, took care of me when I was sick, while she suffered from heart disease, and still does.

There was ORDER and peace in that house, because we knew our role as children and she knew her role as a parent.

I sat in a church with a suit on every Sunday. Three hours, no air conditioning in central Mississippi, Mt Zion Apostolic Faith Church. I'm no where near as religious as she is and I'm not apostolic anymore I'm Seventh Day Adventist and attend a Shabbat Class at a WCG church instead of church on Sunday. She's fine with it. She grew up far more structured then I did. Her father was the son of a Pentecostal preacher. Her parents woke up every morning at 4 in the am and all of her 14 brothers and sisters had to study the Bible with them and pray before going to school.

You can mock that way of life and call it indoctrination all you want but it taught me and her both structure, discipline, responsibility, love and compassion for family, and respect for adults, tradition, and authority. I'm not saying you have to be religious to teach those values to your children, but letting your children do whatever the Hell they please does not teach them discipline. And to accuse parents who take their children to church of somehow brainwashing their children is bullshit. Period.

:clap2:

forcing your religion on your children without offering them alternatives is indoctrination.

period.

in-fucking-deed!

period.

in-fucking-deed!

You sound like a prime example of indoctrination without any religion being involved. Imagine that.

you are being illogical, irrational, unfair and insulting.

accusing someone of being indoctrinated simply because they are intelligent enough to see that most children are being INDOCTRINATED by their parents into whatever religion they happen to have been indoctrinated in by THEIR parents (who got it from THEIR parents...who got it from THEIR parents....) is absurd.

and I must say...rather typical of people like you....

You sound like a prime example of indoctrination without any religion being involved. Imagine that.

are you going to debate his or my points or just stick to ad hominem?

There is no debate. You have no right to tell me how to raise my children. Period.

did i tell you how? we just asked why you want to indoctrinate your kids instead of letting them use their brains and thinking abilities to the fullest

in-fucking-deed!

accusing someone of being indoctrinated simply because they are intelligent enough to see that most children are being INDOCTRINATED by their parents into whatever religion they happen to have been indoctrinated in by THEIR parents (who got it from THEIR parents...who got it from THEIR parents....) is absurd.

id rep you more but it says Ive given out too much and wait 24 hours

in-fucking-deed!

accusing someone of being indoctrinated because they have faith...

back at ya, brother. Is hypocrit in your vocabulary?

what would you do if your kid one day came home and said they wanted to be a religion other than yours?

That's a complete misunderstanding of the Buddha's path.

That wasn't an attempt to understand the Buddhist path. It was, however, an entirely accurate rendition of his early history.

The spin you added that the Buddha was a 'deadbeat dad' is not a accurate rendition of the history of Shakamuni Buddha. The Buddha did leave his wife and child to pursue enlightenment. Yasodhara, the Buddha's wife, although grieving for her loss, understood and respected the Buddha's decision and chose to take up her own spiritual discipline in his absence. The Buddha's only son, Rahula, ordained as a monk and studied meditation under his father achieving the level of arhat. Yasodhara, the Buddha's wife ordained as a nun and is considered a Buddhist saint.

You're applying twenty first century concepts to an event that occurred 2500 years ago.

I think slavery is abominable, and apply that same reasoning in rejecting the biblical idea that its ok to beat your slave as long as he or she comes to within three days.

It is accurate. Do you think that poor woman, screwed once and left to raise her son at the in-laws would have CHOSEN to become a nun if not for the insensitivity to HER feeling displayed by her husband? Sure she "accepted" it, what choice was she given? And the boy, a monk because that was the only connection he could make to his father. BAH! People are not deities, and one fairy tale is as outrageous as the next.

That wasn't an attempt to understand the Buddhist path. It was, however, an entirely accurate rendition of his early history.

The spin you added that the Buddha was a 'deadbeat dad' is not a accurate rendition of the history of Shakamuni Buddha. The Buddha did leave his wife and child to pursue enlightenment. Yasodhara, the Buddha's wife, although grieving for her loss, understood and respected the Buddha's decision and chose to take up her own spiritual discipline in his absence. The Buddha's only son, Rahula, ordained as a monk and studied meditation under his father achieving the level of arhat. Yasodhara, the Buddha's wife ordained as a nun and is considered a Buddhist saint.

You're applying twenty first century concepts to an event that occurred 2500 years ago.

I think slavery is abominable, and apply that same reasoning in rejecting the biblical idea that its ok to beat your slave as long as he or she comes to within three days.

It is accurate. Do you think that poor woman, screwed once and left to raise her son at the in-laws would have CHOSEN to become a nun if not for the insensitivity to HER feeling displayed by her husband? Sure she "accepted" it, what choice was she given? And the boy, a monk because that was the only connection he could make to his father. BAH! People are not deities, and one fairy tale is as outrageous as the next.

People are not deities, but some people react to life's challenges in extraordinary ways. The Buddha, his wife and his son are examples of remarkable human beings.

We'll have to just agree to disagree on this, Barb.

Unless someone developed thier own philosophy faith based or not..they have been indoctrinated..period.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
Are you condemning you child because of your beliefs? Would it not be better to let him or her experience religion on their own, without influence from the parents.

Religion is not an experience. It is a toxic, utterly deranged and malevolent lie-based construct that addicts its believers to lies. Some god myth addicts wish to literally spread their disease to other humans, and choose children because of their vulnerabilities.

In a Truth-based society, it would be a serious criminal offence to attempt to addict a child to religion.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
Are you condemning you child because of your beliefs? Would it not be better to let him or her experience religion on their own, without influence from the parents.

Religion is not an experience. It is a toxic, utterly deranged and malevolent lie-based construct that addicts its believers to lies. Some god myth addicts wish to literally spread their disease to other humans, and choose children because of their vulnerabilities.

In a Truth-based society, it would be a serious criminal offence to attempt to addict a child to religion.

So your saying it would be better to condemn the child because of something you believe.

You really need to step away from your biblebabble for just a second..don't worry...you can go right back to your trance...just not right this second....:lol::lol: The "Faith" of which you speak was taught to you..if not beaten into your brain by those that must propagandise as thier lifes mission. Teaching is indoctrination. That is all...you can go back to your coma now.

Forum List

Back