Raising Your Child as an Atheist.

Think you might be going just a *tad* overboard here?

No.

all people should have the right to decide for themselves.

nobody should be brainwashing their children into embracing illogical and irrational beliefs and fears.

when it comes to "creationism" v "evolution" MOST cons seem to believe that children should be exposed to BOTH sides and then allowed to decide for themselves...

why not expose ALL children to all sides of EVERY issue and let them decide for themselves...

pot smoking v drug war
sex before marriage v abstinance
religion v atheism
homosexual rights v antigay bigotry

---------------

from your own personal perspective...

would you prefer to have been brainwashed into being whatever religion your parents are
or
to have been given th eopportunity to thinkn and decide for yourself?

do you want your children to grow up with the ability and intellect to think and decide for themselves (about ALL things including religion)
or do you just want to brainwash them?

i would bet you can not put forth an equal argument on any issue.....

???
like what?

marriage forever v short term marriages?
illegal prostitution v legalized and regulated prostitution?
guns?
tobacco?
licquor?
sky diving?
mountain climbing?
rugby?
soccer?

like what?

Are you condemning you child because of your beliefs? Would it not be better to let him or her experience religion on their own, without influence from the parents.

How many Christian parents would allow their kids to on their own investigate atheism or other paths of spiritual practice like Buddhism without their parental influence? Is parental influence a form of condemnation for a child's spirit?

I accidently stumbled upon an episode of reba a few months ago

her son announced he didn't believe in god

reba threw a BIG KN HISSY FIT!

she was NOT GOING TO ALLOW him the right to decide for himself

god damn it....he was GOING TO BELIEVE OR ELSE!!!

Are you condemning you child because of your beliefs? Would it not be better to let him or her experience religion on their own, without influence from the parents.

My future children will certainly be allowed to attend whatever church they like if they want to, I'll even give them a ride until they are old enough to drive. I'm not forcing any particular belief about god or lack thereof on them.

You mean like the way Christians, Muslims, Jews and any other religion brainwash their children into taking on their own beliefs before they can even walk! It ain't a one way street, pal, so why present it as one? Or are you one of those people who believes that only your way is the right path and anyone who doesn't conform is wrong?

How can you raise children to believe the "occult" is real? That "Casper" really does exist?

It'd be hard to imagine anything more private than how to raise a child with respect to religious (or not) beliefs. As long as the parent does not endanger the child (e.g., handling snakes, not getting vaccinated, etc.) I don't care what you teach them to believe.

As for Creationism, it is religion, not science. Don't afflict all of the kids in a public school with the nonsense you choose to believe.

How does abstaining from immunizations endanger children?
Here's a short list of the diseases children are routinely vaccinated against in the US:

Hepatitus B, diptheria, pertussis, tentanus, rolavirus, polio, flu, measles, mumps, rubella, and on and on.

When a child is not vaccinated he or she is vulnerable to these diseases. Most can be deadly and many can maim for life. That child is also a public health threat to anyone in the community who may lack anti-bodies. This may include adults as well as children.

For the most part I disagree. I was vaccinated for most of those diseases, but I've nver taken a flu shot. Never gotten the flu either. Some parent's don't trust the pharmaceutical companies that make those vaccines. When this swine flu hysteria bullcrap came out, I refused to take the shot, didn't catch swine flu or any flu for that matter. I'm one of those people who doesn't like taking drugs, unless it's totally natural like marijuana.:lol: Some have legitimate religious grievances with vaccines.

No.

nobody should be brainwashing their children into embracing illogical and irrational beliefs and fears.

when it comes to "creationism" v "evolution" MOST cons seem to believe that children should be exposed to BOTH sides and then allowed to decide for themselves...

why not expose ALL children to all sides of EVERY issue and let them decide for themselves...

pot smoking v drug war
religion v atheism

---------------

would you prefer to have been brainwashed into being whatever religion your parents are
or

My mother use to say it like this: "because it's my FUCKING house".

When children pay bills, rent, car notes, mortgages and buy their own food and clothes then they can decide what the Hell they believe for themselves. Until then if the cost of having a parent that loves you enough to pay your got-dayum snotty asses phone bills, put a roof over your head, put clothes on your back, food in front of you to eat, work their asses off everyday, pay taxes, stay up with your ungrateful behinds when your sick, and help you finish projects for school at the last minute is that you have to go to church once or twice a week and sit through a sermon my goodness freaking DEAL with it.

I cannot believe any Mississippi lady curses out her children like this. But the sentiment is almost universal..."Because I said so."

A Mississippi lady with no children wouldn't. A Mississippi lady with three boys and two girls might slip up and say anything.:lol:

No it isn't.

Okay, so how is it that apparently forced to go to church as children (because I certainly didn't want to go) and both of us ended up having religious views that conflicted with our parent's later on?

I'll give you a hint...:eusa_shhh:

...because forcing your children to go to church isn't "brainwashing" them.
some brainwash better than others.

they have a name for that. Backslider.

On the level of religious fundamentalism, my church was about as deep as it got without going into cult mode.

In regards to being taken to church, you have nothing to complain about. Unless they took you up to a mountain top and tried to sacrifice you to some demon-god in my opinion there was no real harm done.

How many Christian parents would allow their kids to on their own investigate atheism or other paths of spiritual practice like Buddhism without their parental influence? Is parental influence a form of condemnation for a child's spirit?

I would. They'd still have to go to Sabbath class on Saturday's though. Why? "Because I said so". If they formed some religious beliefs at age 14 that they think they're mature enough to accept then waiting 4 years until they're 18 and out of the home that rests on the Sabbath like the scriptures tell us to do they are welcomed to do what they please.

Last edited:
No.

pot smoking v drug war
religion v atheism

---------------

or

do you want your children to grow up with the ability and intellect to think and decide for themselves (about ALL things including religion)
or do you just want to brainwash them?

And you're not getting a head start by automatically referring to it as "brainwashing", and "illogical"?

Did you ever stop to think that people believe what they do for reasons only *they* know, and which, quite frankly, are nobody elses business?

Hate to break it to you, cupcake, but I've stood on *both* sides of the coin.

How's about you just live, and let live without being insulting?

Just sayin...

I don't think so.

indoctrinating little children into FEARING a deranged god IS brianwashing.

And that's any of your business how?

When you were growing up, how many of your classmates or close friends attended church?

Apparently alot, because most atheist were from christian families.

Are you condemning your child with any belief, they are not always right.

They can decide what they want when they grow up. Parents raised me with their religion but when I grew up they left it up to me, and it was bye bye church.

I mean its likely raising them 'athiest" is simply the parents claiming they don't believe in god. Some religious people do far more to indoctrinate and force kids to live a certain lifestyle and feel guilty about having normal biological feelings, especially those that go nuts over having sexual thoughts. Notice I said some, not saying all, so please no assumptions

Here's the fun part.

A true Atheist does *not* raise their child to become an Atheist, but DOES, in fact, allow their children to decide on their own, in their own time.

I, on the other hand, was *forced* to go to sunday school, and to church.

Who's condemning who?

Where do you get this shit from, or do you just like stirring some imaginary pot?

Yup, me too, never liked it. Would stay in bed pretending to be asleep hoping my dad wouldn't get up and we would skip church that morning. But he was cool enough that once I was confirmed he left it up to me, and I never went again. Many parents aren't so open minded and cool about that.

I know my mom's friend can't even see her only grandson (because they are nutty mormons who can only converse with other mormons. who she helped many times when he ran away from his parents and were in trouble. Shame as she helped the kid out and gave him a roof over his head when he renounced his mormonism and his parents kicked them out. That type of shit is far more damaging than an athiest not raising the kid in any religion

My children have way more important things to worry about in their very young lives besides what my opinions are on religion.

Why doesn't everyone stay the Hell out of people's homes?

That goes for the liberals and they're silly little PhD wielding doctors who don't want me to take a switch to my future child for the purpose of correction.

And the religious right-winged nutjobs who think they know everything and that because they go to church they're children will be a-okay.

You're ALL a bunch of loons.

Don't you get it? People don't want you in their homes. Shit.

Speaking of loons, WTF does having a discussion and posting opinions on a message board have anything to do with being in anybody else's business? People who don't to state their opinion don't have to, there is no butting into anybody's private lives posting on a message board
:cuckoo:

And you benefit from the silly PhD wielding doctors who have discovered knowledge that not only allows you to type on your computer, but also be alive and stay alive when you get sick and things go wrong

I'm a Catholic raised atheist (or agnostic, I ca never decide which), but I send my kids to Catholic school, mostly for the quality education. It is up to them to decide their own religious beliefs.

If they ask me to take them to church, I do. If they don't want to go, they don't have to (except in the case where my older son teased my younger son into believing that he was going to hell if he didn't go to mass - I dragged his butt to mass whether he liked it or not)

I believe that a mildly religious upbringing is good for children. They learn the basics of moral behavior. Explaining the mandate for moral behavior based on humanistic philosophy is a bit above the heads of 7 & 9 year olds - I'm not even sure that I could explain it).

Besides churches provide nice little services for important occasions - Baptisms, Weddings etc...it's nice.

I'm fairly certain that my sons will not be religious, but it's very important to me that they are morally descent people.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlyR9U1pQ70]YouTube - casper the friendly ghost theme[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

New Topics

Forum List

Back