Quitting smoking!

I have tried many times. It comes from within. You either really really want to...and can...or you really really don't wanna...so you lose the battle. I guess I really really don't wanna yet.

I have tried many times. It comes from within. You either really really want to...and can...or you really really don't wanna...so you lose the battle. I guess I really really don't wanna yet.

I think sometimes people really want to quit but just can't quite do it. It's a tough habit to beat. Sometimes people just need a little help.

I really think that book made the difference for me. Each day I read a chapter and it would tell me exactly what I needed to hear that day.

Nobody ever listens to me, of all the people I tell about that book I think they're all still smoking. My boss is trying to quit AGAIN. I finally brought him my own personal copy and offered to lend it to him, but I want it back (it changed my life for the better, and even though I don't need it anymore, it's special to me). He agreed to borrow it. I'm really praying it will make the difference for him.

Last edited:
My own husband smokes. He refuses to try the book, also.

I understand that people have to find their own way, but jeez, if someone with an addictive personality who has smoked heavily for 30 years quits cold turkey and remains quit 12 years later, you'd think people would at least be curious about the book.

It's not magic...you still have to want to quit and use some willpower. But it gives you tools and information that really help. It's kind of like taking a course on quitting smoking...and your homework is to quit smoking while you go through the course material! :)

Last edited:
I never smoked cigarettes until I went to boot camp in July of 82, and because that was one of the few breaks we were allowed, I picked up the habit there.

Smoked anywhere from a half pack to a full pack everyday, but ended up quitting with the assistance of Nicorette gum when my OIC made me PRT coordinator, and stayed off of cigarettes for the next 3-4 years.

However............in '98 I had to go home for emergency leave due to the fact that my Grandmother was dying, and I had to go to her funeral. I was pretty upset over that (my Grandparents were the ones that raised me after my mother died when I was 8), and started smoking again, and went back up to a pack/day.

A few years back, I noticed that my teeth hurt everytime I smoked a cigarette, and I got tired of it one day and quit cold turkey.

Quitting using Nicorette gum is a good way to go, it eases you off the nicotine gently, but quitting cold turkey is the way to go, because the bad cravings only last for around 5 days, and afterwards can be fixed by eating a small bit of chocolate or sucking on a hard candy.

After you've gone for a month without cigs? You're gonna be wondering why you didn't do it earlier.

Good luck. I know it's a bitch to do.

time to go spark one up......you coming? :lol:

Depends on what you're gonna spark up......................

If it's brown, no thanks, I'm good.

However...............................

If it's sticky and green with little red hairs and stinks to high heaven, I'm in!
now my mouth is watering....it's been about a decade or so since I last spoke with mary jane...

Exactly one year ago today, my friend and I went to a "Laser Therapy Smoking Cessation" plan. We lasted for 3 days and we then bought Ecigs and found they were more than adequate. We've never looked back, I can't even imagine smoking a real cigarette again.

Ecigs saved my life.

Are you still smoking e-cigs, speckle?

Yes, I still "smoke" Ecigs and likely always will. They satisfy the addiction, I like the flavorings and while completely quitting would no doubt be best, I'm grateful to escape the tougher, smellier part of the habit not to mention the 75% cost reduction.

Be careful with those e-cigs. Just heard on the local news that a lot of toddlers and children are getting into their parents nicotine refills and poisoning themselves. Doesn't help that the liquid nicotine is flavored like candy and fruit.

Quitting smoking is very difficult. I a poster somewhere that stated "Kissing someone who smokes is like licking an ashtray". That notion stuck with me for a while and since I like kissing it was a nice prompt to quit smoking.

I was *made* to have to quit. I got a toe full of gangrene. It was only a little toe, but I was fond of it and attached to it so I did not want it amputated.

Gangrene pain is worse than natural childbirth. Your tissue dying while still being 'you' HURTS.

So I threw away all cigs, lighters, matches and ashtrays.

I went Kojak. I had a Tootsie Roll Pop or Hershey's kiss to suck on day and nite.

After a month my mouth was very sore and I quit the candy, too.

That was 10 1/2 years ago.

Using nicotine in any. form is a risk for gangrene. You must end the addiction 100%.

I have 10 toes, clean lungs and a whole liotta money not used to feed an addiction.

I come from a family of alcoholics and never drink. It guarantees that i will never begin that addiction.

I never regret quitting and you will not either.

Regards from Rosie

I quit for over a month...and still was all tensed up, couldn't sleep, body jerking, nerves jangling. I mean, come on. I hear it's 3 days, then a week, then two weeks. I didn't have not one for a whole month and I was climbing the walls.

I'll quit when I hafta. That's how hubby quit. He was in ER for a week due to sepsis and pneumonia. So his was cold turkey but he was also drugged up.

I won't do the "easing off". I will go cold turkey. But only when I get what he got. Sleep my way thru it.

Be careful with those e-cigs. Just heard on the local news that a lot of toddlers and children are getting into their parents nicotine refills and poisoning themselves. Doesn't help that the liquid nicotine is flavored like candy and fruit.

You know the liquid isn't really flavored right? When you vape it there's a taste but the liquid itself doesn't taste like candy or fruit. It's very bitter and makes you want to spit for 30 minutes or so. The bottles themselves are quite small with an eyedropper tip. That puts a real question on these reports that kids are drinking the stuff.

In truth, I've actually thought briefly about taking up smoking those electronic cigs. Only vapor, seems harmless.
I have too thought about trying smoking the e-cigarettes but I think if I did, it would be too easy to start back smoking.

Not to mention the nicotine factor, and the expense of another habit on which to become dependent.

And, why get addicted again?

My own husband smokes. He refuses to try the book, also.

I understand that people have to find their own way, but jeez, if someone with an addictive personality who has smoked heavily for 30 years quits cold turkey and remains quit 12 years later, you'd think people would at least be curious about the book.

It's not magic...you still have to want to quit and use some willpower. But it gives you tools and information that really help. It's kind of like taking a course on quitting smoking...and your homework is to quit smoking while you go through the course material! :)

My mother smoked for 50 years, 2-3 packs a day and one day just up and quit. She always said that she discovered that we have been told we're helpless against that addiction, that we can't quit by ourselves, we have been told that so many times, we're afraid to even try.

I suspect she was right.

It was hard for me to quit but damn - its just SO worth it. I never ever want to stink like that again. I never want to hack and cough and spit up snot and want to leave a program early just so I can smoke. And, damn, I never want to stand around outside to smoke.

One of our own posters just recently posted that he has a type of cancer that is caused by smoking. Smokers might want to read his posts.

If you smoke, don't try to hide the stench under perfume and/or gum. Just believe me - that really makes it so much worse.

And, it looks like they're more dangerous than just harmless vapor.

I quit for over a month...and still was all tensed up, couldn't sleep, body jerking, nerves jangling. I mean, come on. I hear it's 3 days, then a week, then two weeks. I didn't have not one for a whole month and I was climbing the walls.

I'll quit when I hafta. That's how hubby quit. He was in ER for a week due to sepsis and pneumonia. So his was cold turkey but he was also drugged up.

I won't do the "easing off". I will go cold turkey. But only when I get what he got. Sleep my way thru it.

When I was withdrawing, I actually dreamed about cigarettes.

You know the liquid isn't really flavored right? When you vape it there's a taste but the liquid itself doesn't taste like candy or fruit. It's very bitter and makes you want to spit for 30 minutes or so. The bottles themselves are quite small with an eyedropper tip. That puts a real question on these reports that kids are drinking the stuff.

You know what?

Just for once, this is the one thing you can't make up excuses and lies about.

Just deal with the fact that smoking and ecigs are dangerous and harm people.

If you ever get tired of shelling out the money for cigarettes give e cigs a try. Njoy kings are exactly like a cigarette. They are too expensive to use regularly but you will get the idea . Then you can get a decent vaporizer. It's the additives in cigarettes that are so deadly. Nicotine is as dangerous as caffeine. In the amounts vaporized it's harmless. Especially since you can get different strengths all the way down to zero.

You know what?

Just for once, this is the one thing you can't make up excuses and lies about.

Just deal with the fact that smoking and ecigs are dangerous and harm people.

Just as soon as Ecigaretts harm someone I'll agree with you. After all its not like Ecigaretts killed anyone or put anyone in the hospital like marijuana does.

Forum List

Back