Quitting smoking!

pacer

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2013
For those who are trying to quit smoking and for those who have quit but are finding it difficult, this thread could be a source of encouragement and support.

I smoked for over 40 years. On New Year's eve of 2009, I was watching t.v. and every time I had the urge to have a cigarette, I would sniff the cigarettes but not light up. I was determined to quit smoking the following morning, New Years Day.

The next morning, I went out for coffee at a coffee shop rather than having coffee at home. I did this every day for several weeks in order to break the habit of having a cigarette with coffee. I quit drinking beer altogether at home for approximately three months since beer and cigarettes go hand in hand. I did not substitute the cigarette with food or sweets and lost weight because I had so much more energy to do things.

I am now off the cigarettes for almost four and a half years. :)

Last edited:
I quit cold turkey from a two pack a day habit back in 1977 when there were no patches, no gum, and no electronic cigarettes. It was not my first attempt, but I did it.

Just don't make excuses and do it. Just refuse to smoke another one.

I quit cold turkey from a two pack a day habit back in 1977 when there were no patches, no gum, and no electronic cigarettes. It was not my first attempt, but I did it.

I quit cold turkey, too, PredFan. No patches, no gum, etc. I tried quitting a good many times before I finally ran out of excuses.

I quit cold turkey, too, PredFan. No patches, no gum, etc. I tried quitting a good many times before I finally ran out of excuses.

I have never regretted it either. Occasionally I will have weird dreams that I started back up again, only to be depressed that I "couldn't do it" after all. Then I wake up, lol.

In truth, I've actually thought briefly about taking up smoking those electronic cigs. Only vapor, seems harmless.

For those who are trying to quit smoking and for those who have quit but are finding it difficult, this thread could be a source of encouragement and support.

I smoked for over 40 years. On New Year's eve of 2009, I was watching t.v. and every time I had the urge to have a cigarette, I would sniff the cigarettes but not light up. I was determined to quit smoking the following morning, New Years Day.

The next morning, I went out for coffee at a coffee shop rather than having coffee at home. I did this every day for several weeks in order to break the habit of having a cigarette with coffee. I quit drinking beer altogether at home for approximately three months since beer and cigarettes go hand in hand. I did not substitute the cigarette with food or sweets and lost weight because I had so much more energy to do things.

I am now off the cigarettes for almost four and a half years. :)

Good for you and all the rest of us who stopped smoking because we wanted to help our bodies help ourselves to prolong our lives. In about 6 years your lungs should return to their congenital pink color. I have read it takes ten years, although the likelihood of all other conditions smoking causes are reduced much more quickly. Mine are the color of my lips...

My father quit after he had a heart attack at the age of 47. He stopped cold turkey after he had two stents placed in his heart. He was not over weight but he smoked. Today he is 62 and the picture of health and kicks my butt in golf. Never think it's too late to quit. It's not as hard as you think to change your life. There is happiness after cigarettes. Please quit.

In truth, I've actually thought briefly about taking up smoking those electronic cigs. Only vapor, seems harmless.
I have too thought about trying smoking the e-cigarettes but I think if I did, it would be too easy to start back smoking.

I have too thought about trying smoking the e-cigarettes but I think if I did, it would be too easy to start back smoking.

Not to mention the nicotine factor, and the expense of another habit on which to become dependent.

I smoked since the age of 12, when I stole a smoke from a camp counselor. This was in the mid-50s, it was very easy to buy cigarettes (25¢) by saying "my Dad sent me to the store".

I quit several times and only once did it work - sort of. This was Schick Aversion Conditioning (puff/shock/puff/shock). I stopped for 12 years but I substituted with mountains of weed and other drugs that were smoked. Finally, I bought a pack and fr the first time in 12 years, my homicidal urges were quelled.

Exactly one year ago today, my friend and I went to a "Laser Therapy Smoking Cessation" plan. We lasted for 3 days and we then bought Ecigs and found they were more than adequate. We've never looked back, I can't even imagine smoking a real cigarette again.

I think to make this work, you must quit for 3 days until you start planning how to kill everyone you know. Then, start with a high nicotine content Ecig and work your way down in Ecig strength until you find your lowest level.

I had lost hope of ever quitting and the Ecig was the answer to my prayers for relief. I found where they are cheap and come in 4 different strengths. If anyone wants to PM me, I'll send you the link. I am NOT affiliated with the supplier.

Ecigs saved my life.

Not sure why, but I never picked up the habit, yet I can enjoy occasional tobacco use. I like a good cigar on a golf course. I can smoke a fag with a buddy from time to time. I'll even pick up a pipe every once in a while. Been many, many months since I've done so, but I do like tobacco...just never got hooked.

I guess it's like alcohol for me. I can have one or two glasses of wine a week, maybe an occasional bourbon or a nice ale, but I've been truly intoxicated only twice in my life. The first time as a teenager (awful) and one time in college when a professor tried to teach us how to drink like a Greek. I made it home only to puke, but got an A in his International Business class!

Not to mention the nicotine factor, and the expense of another habit on which to become dependent.
Not to mention also my place and clothes no longer stink of cigarettes, the furniture doesn't stink, and my curtains are not yellow. :)

I think you can get them without nicotine, I could be wrong though.

Ecigs saved my life.

Very cool. My wife works for an ecig company. The bullshit laws the nanny state do gooders are trying to pass (and have passed in some states) to ban ecigs will, as always, end up doing FAR more harm than good.

I smoked since the age of 12, when I stole a smoke from a camp counselor. This was in the mid-50s, it was very easy to buy cigarettes (25¢) by saying "my Dad sent me to the store".

I quit several times and only once did it work - sort of. This was Schick Aversion Conditioning (puff/shock/puff/shock). I stopped for 12 years but I substituted with mountains of weed and other drugs that were smoked. Finally, I bought a pack and fr the first time in 12 years, my homicidal urges were quelled.

Exactly one year ago today, my friend and I went to a "Laser Therapy Smoking Cessation" plan. We lasted for 3 days and we then bought Ecigs and found they were more than adequate. We've never looked back, I can't even imagine smoking a real cigarette again.

I think to make this work, you must quit for 3 days until you start planning how to kill everyone you know. Then, start with a high nicotine content Ecig and work your way down in Ecig strength until you find your lowest level.

I had lost hope of ever quitting and the Ecig was the answer to my prayers for relief. I found where they are cheap and come in 4 different strengths. If anyone wants to PM me, I'll send you the link. I am NOT affiliated with the supplier.

Ecigs saved my life.
Are you still smoking e-cigs, speckle?

Not sure why, but I never picked up the habit, yet I can enjoy occasional tobacco use. I like a good cigar on a golf course. I can smoke a fag with a buddy from time to time. I'll even pick up a pipe every once in a while. Been many, many months since I've done so, but I do like tobacco...just never got hooked.

I guess it's like alcohol for me. I can have one or two glasses of wine a week, maybe an occasional bourbon or a nice ale, but I've been truly intoxicated only twice in my life. The first time as a teenager (awful) and one time in college when a professor tried to teach us how to drink like a Greek. I made it home only to puke, but got an A in his International Business class!

Alcohol! I believe 100% that addiction to alcohol is genetic. I have drunk enough alcohol to float an aircraft carrier but never got addicted. Now at 58, I don't drink much because A, it's a been there done that kind of thing, and B, I'm too old to tolerate much of a hangover. My family I'd a bunch of hard drinkers, no alcoholics at all. Must be in the genes.

Alcohol! I believe 100% that addiction to alcohol is genetic. I have drunk enough alcohol to float an aircraft carrier but never got addicted. Now at 58, I don't drink much because A, it's a been there done that kind of thing, and B, I'm too old to tolerate much of a hangover. My family I'd a bunch of hard drinkers, no alcoholics at all. Must be in the genes.

My Dad was like that. Drank multiple martinis at lunch. Drank at home. Yet, he was a WORKAHOLIC. Ass up at the crack of dawn. Worked hard, made a successful of himself. Never ONCE saw him with a hangover.

I just don't enjoy the alcohol buzz like he did. LOVE good wine, but a glass with dinner...MAYBE two is perfect for me.

Are you Irish/Scottish/Welsh by chance?

Years ago I quit smoking for six years. After six years of being a non smoker I accepted that I never liked being a non smoker and went back to cigarettes. I ran up a 2 1/2 pack a day cigarette use. Then a guy who worked for me started vaping. He let me use of of his e-cigs. That was the day I had my last cigarette. I never missed it, no withdrawals, nothing. It was totally painless. I never once missed cigarettes. Never had a stray thought that I wished I could have a cigarette. Even the smell is vile to me now.

Vaporizer juice comes in all strengths including no nicotine at all. I know several non smokers that picked up vaping no nicotine juice because they like the taste. I have two vaporizers. One with nicotine and one with a strong flavored juice like peppermint without any nicotine at all. Sometimes I use cherry, bubble gum, cream, or root beer.

The cost is an average of $30.00 a month. Vape tanks and batteries last a long time. They don't need to be replaced every month.

I quit smoking 12 years and 3 months ago. Cold turkey. It was my third serious attempt to quit.

I had smoked for 30 years, a pack and a half or more a day. *shudder*

I didn't use nicotine gum or patches, pills or ecigs (they didn't have ecigs back then). All I used was this book:

The book is out of print but you can order copies of it online at Amazon and other places, or even find it at your local used book stores. You read a chapter a day for 21 days as you quit smoking. I guess you can cut back gradually, but as the book tells us, statistics show that those who quit cold turkey are much more successful at quitting than those who try to cut back gradually.

I'm glad they didn't have ecigs back then, or I would probably have tried them and got hooked on those. I prefer not being hooked on anything.

And I know I'm a true nonsmoker now, because if my beloved dog dying didn't get me smoking again, nothing will. Same with drinking. I am really contemplating whether life is worth living anymore, but having a cigarette or a drink is the last thing on my mind.

Forum List

Back