Quiet

CarlS85

Rookie
Aug 10, 2012
I have recently started a book, almost done with it, called Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking and I find it quite fascinating. I was a Psychology major when I first started college several years ago, but left the field. I still find it intriguing and when I saw this book at the local library I decided it was worth a read.

It is a study of the Introvert personality, and its place and impact on the extremely extrovert centered society we, as Americans live in. It explains a lot about what causes introversion, such as high reactive tendency towards stimuli, and also explains a bit about the opposite, low reactive tendency towards stimuli, and why these two things cause someone to become an Introvert or an Extrovert. It also discusses things such as a study that determined that a child reactions to stimuli as an infant can be quite telling as to what kind of personality, i.e. introverted or extroverted, they will have as an adult.

Has anyone here ever heard of or read this book? Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on the topic of introversion? Basically I just wanted to start a thread to get people talking about it. It is truly a fascinating topic when you get into it.

Uncle Ferd alla time yellin' at the neighborhood kids to BE Quiet! whenever Granny tries to take a nap...

Quiet Is Crucial to Your Health: The Dangers of Urban Noise
9/17/2015 | The noise is so loud, Kollyn Zeder often doesn't let the children in her home daycare play outside, worried it might damage their hearing. Windows stay shut, even though she wants fresh air. Often she can't hear her own TV. "They fly so low over the homes, you can wave to the pilots and they wave back," she said. " It's roaring, roaring, roaring."
The noise from Naval Air Station Oceana, a master jet base in Virginia Beach, Virginia, dominates almost every aspect of her life. And new studies say it may be affecting her health in ways she doesn't realize. While her situation is extreme, her plight typifies what many Americans in urban settings endure: constant loud noise with little recourse for stopping it and few policies for controlling it in the first place.

The U.S. lags behind Europe in taking noise seriously as a public health and quality of life issue even as new studies show noise increases risk for coronary heart disease and hypertension. As the number of urban residents skyrockets, it's becoming an increasingly important public health issue: the world's urban population is going to more than double over the next roughly 100 years with 75-80 percent of people eventually living in cities, according to the New York University Stern Urbanization Project. "With increasing urbanization, we have more noise," said Rick Neitzel, assistant professor of Environmental Health Sciences at the University of Michigan School of Public Health. "In this country, we don't place a lot of value on hearing and the ability to hear. Maybe we don't care about our hearing, but we don't want to have a heart attack."

2015-09-15-1442361208-8736533-indownoise-thumb.jpg

One sign noise is getting more attention is work being done by Nirupama Bulusu, an associate professor of computer science at Portland State University. She is developing an app to map urban noise pollution using smartphones. Urban planners will be able to use Ear-Phone data collected from people's phones to make decisions about roads and light rail as well as residential and commercial development. "It's the modern smartphone as a critical sensor," said Bulusu. "If you can use it to monitor noise pollution and air pollution...it can be incredibly transformative."

The sound of revving engines pours through one San Francisco resident's single-pane windows overlooking Route 101, making it so difficult to sleep, he is desperate to leave. "You can have all the money in the world but if you don't have peace and quiet, you're in trouble," said Philip, who didn't want his last name used. "When you're sitting down in the evening after a long day of work and you hear the hum of traffic and car horns and people shouting, it doesn't make life fun."

More Quiet Is Crucial to Your Health: The Dangers of Urban Noise

I have recently started a book, almost done with it, called Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking and I find it quite fascinating. I was a Psychology major when I first started college several years ago, but left the field. I still find it intriguing and when I saw this book at the local library I decided it was worth a read.

It is a study of the Introvert personality, and its place and impact on the extremely extrovert centered society we, as Americans live in. It explains a lot about what causes introversion, such as high reactive tendency towards stimuli, and also explains a bit about the opposite, low reactive tendency towards stimuli, and why these two things cause someone to become an Introvert or an Extrovert. It also discusses things such as a study that determined that a child reactions to stimuli as an infant can be quite telling as to what kind of personality, i.e. introverted or extroverted, they will have as an adult.

Has anyone here ever heard of or read this book? Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on the topic of introversion? Basically I just wanted to start a thread to get people talking about it. It is truly a fascinating topic when you get into it.

Not heard of it, but, was told by someone that I was an introvert.
I thought I was anti-social because, I really don't enjoy socializing, because, it zaps me (I feel exhausted after socializing) - was told that some people get energy from others (extroverts) and some get energy from being alone (introverts) - I LOVE my alone time. I guess that's why like email and message boards.

Forum List

Back