Question for other business owners: Are you going to offer health insurance?

Mini 14

Jun 6, 2010
I own a small chain of pawn and gun shops. We currently employ 37 people under two parent companies but are moving under one by the end of the year.

We cancelled our health coverage earlier this year, and began to offer insurance allowances for employees who met the qualifications and purchased their own coverages. The allowances are 1/3 of what the premiums used to run us, and are adjusted as rates rise.

When Obamacare is in full effect (or as soon as the requirement for coverage is in effect), and citizens are required to have insurance, we plan to require proof of current insurance as a condition of employment (if you don't have proof of insurance, you cannot be employed by any of our companies).

What are you doing at your small businesses, and do you have plans for reactions to implementation of full Obamacare?

As companies have/are quickly getting out of the pension business - they will get out of the healthcare business.
By the end of 2011, most large corporations will have made the declaration that they will no longer continue healthcare coverage to retirees by a certain date...likely 2015.
Many companies have already made that declaration. This will make it absolutely impossible for the vast majority of people to retire before the age of 67.
The next logical step is to pull away from healthcare coverage completely. It is not probable - it is certain.
And if you do not prepare for this - you will be very sorry later.

Last edited:
As companies have/are quickly getting out of the pension business - they will get out of the healthcare business.
By the end of 2011, most large corporations will have made the declaration that they will no longer continue healthcare coverage to retirees by a certain date...likely 2015.
Many companies have already made that declaration. This will make it absolutely impossible for the vast majority of people to retire before the age of 67.
The next logical step is to pull away from healthcare coverage completely. It is not probable - it is certain.
And if you do not prepare for this - you will be very sorry later.

The larger corporations will be the last to bail, as they will have to battle in the courts for the right to do so. But as the law is, companies who employ less than 100 are free to do as they please (though the law does provide a "reward" for small business offering benefits, but it doesn't come close to making the costs appealing).

My State will not enhance the Federal limitation of 100, and my business plan calls for growth, but only to about 75 employees, so we will never fall under the requirement to offer benefits.

Smart money obviously will not offer benefits unless required. My question is really aimed at other small business owners to see if they are already adapting, and if they are making plans for further adaptations as the law comes on line (assuming it is repealed).

Forum List

Back