question about sneaking.

Grace

Rookie
Jan 29, 2011
There is a board I want to take a peek at. Can I be seen by admins if I go incognito via a new window on Google Chrome?
(No, this is not pertaining to any spin offs of USMB. Different galaxy).

The only thing they'll see is your current IP address. If you reboot, go to the site, shut down and reboot again, your ip will change every time. DHCP.
I haven't run Windoze in ages. Do you know how to check your current ip ? If so, re-boot and see if it changes.

There is a board I want to take a peek at. Can I be seen by admins if I go incognito via a new window on Google Chrome?

A couple of different points...

Viewing your browsing history on your local computer
Incognito mode in Chrome and Private Browsing in FireFox does not make you invisible to network administrators. Regular browsing can leave evidence on your computer of where you have been recently. Incognito and Private Browsing only means that the browser will not save (or will remove) from one session to another: cookies, browsing history, cache files, form autofill/passwords, and download history.

Viewing network traffic
Incognito or Private Browsing does nothing to prevent network administrators from monitoring or logging network traffic as those modes are only applicable to the local browser window. The admins can then review those logs to determine what sites a particular computer has visited.

Viewing your screen
I'm kind of the computer go to guy for my department, so actually I work pretty closely with our IT folks on a number of issues. Mostly I'm a software guy, but will to limited hardware repairs when needed. Using certain Remote Desktop applications IT folks can tap into your computer, if it is on the network, and view a live copy of your screen.

DHCP v. Static IP
Someone mentioned DHCP before where the network assigns a temporary IP Address which may be reassigned once a computer is rebooted, or not. Admins, can run the general network with DHCP, but assign a static IP to individual computers on a case by case basis. This can be done (IIRC) at the network level based on the MAC address of the individual computer. Think of the MAC Address as the network serial number of the interface device physically installed in the computer. To change that you would have to physically change the network card. If IT assigns a static IP, it becomes even easier to track activity.

We use assigned static IP's in a DHCP network environment to control access to certain sensitive databases.

Key Logging
Finally there is key logging software that can be installed on your computer that you may not know about. It keeps a log of all the keystrokes that are typed and then that log pulled by IT. Usually they can be pretty long and boring, but the text files do allow for test searches for certain keywords.

Hope this helps. Honestly is the best policy, if your employer/admin has a firm policy about computer usage just better to follow the rules. It's not worth loosing a job over, in the log run it's cheaper to use a smart phone, iPad, or Galaxy device then it is to endanger your job. Then of course the same stuff above applies to the home environment. I'm the only network administrator for my home network - even my wife doesn't know the password (she can reset the router back to factory defaults, but he can't do admin work). I made it very clear when to my kids got old enough to want to go out to the internet, that network traffic logging was on and that Dad was peaking. Pretty much scared the piss out of them. :eusa_angel::eusa_angel:

>>>>

Last edited:
The only thing they'll see is your current IP address. If you reboot, go to the site, shut down and reboot again, your ip will change every time. DHCP.
I haven't run Windoze in ages. Do you know how to check your current ip ? If so, re-boot and see if it changes.

Your IP will NOT change everytime.
It all depends on your hardware, etc situation.

Your IP will NOT change everytime.
It all depends on your hardware, etc situation.

I had the same thought. Most routers now are always on, and they keep the IP address static, unlike the old days when people used AOL to get online.

Reboot your modem and router.

Whenever I watch anything on Megavideo, it only allows a total of 72 minutes of viewing before it blocks you from the site for something like 3 hours. You either have to wait or pay to become a member. I just reboot the modem and router (thus changing the IP address I believe) and viola! I can watch for another 72 minutes.

I think I misunderstood your original question. You weren't talking about network admins.

:forehead slap:

>>>>

Its just another board I am banned at. Yes, me. Miss sweetness and light. Banned. Can ya believe it? Im shocked, I tell ya. Shocked.
But...I wanted to go take a peek and I went via incognito. Before, it said BANNED.
I tried thru IE. When I went via AOL, I got in. When I went incognito via chrome, I got in too. But I didnt know if they could see me looking even though they banned my ip.

True some ISP's issue a static IP that you have whenever you;re online and some change daily.
Browsing covertly is pretty high order stuff, but there are sites that will basically allow you to browse from their IP. Google IP spoof sites.

Its just another board I am banned at. Yes, me. Miss sweetness and light. Banned. Can ya believe it? Im shocked, I tell ya. Shocked.
But...I wanted to go take a peek and I went via incognito. Before, it said BANNED.
I tried thru IE. When I went via AOL, I got in. When I went incognito via chrome, I got in too. But I didnt know if they could see me looking even though they banned my ip.

In my experience on boards, there is public viewing and account posting. When you are banned, they don't really care if you are not logged in and just viewing the boards. The ban only matters for creating an account and trying to post.

>>>>

Being "invisible" is only "invisible" to other posters. Admin and mods can see you sneaking precious.

Being "invisible" is only "invisible" to other posters. Admin and mods can see you sneaking precious.

gollum03_Gollum_goodRen.jpg

I know, syrenn. I was just wondering if someone that is banned, is not logged in, can still be "tracked" to be the person banned.
I havent been there in about 6 months, give or take. Gave up when I just went to browse but i kept getting the YOU ARE BANNED.
Then I switched to another browser and got to see. Not there is much to look at, but I was bored.

I know, syrenn. I was just wondering if someone that is banned, is not logged in, can still be "tracked" to be the person banned.
I havent been there in about 6 months, give or take. Gave up when I just went to browse but i kept getting the YOU ARE BANNED.
Then I switched to another browser and got to see. Not there is much to look at, but I was bored.

Looking in as a member or as a guest? Is the board public or closed? If they banned you AGAIN obviously you are not sneaking well enough precious and they can see you. IP and mac address will get you every time. :lol:

Guest, I guess. I know Im not a member. Well, I am. But the owner refused to remove me as a member and just banned me instead. Dude needed the member count and deleting me would make it a minus one,lol. Couldnt have that, no siree. It was private but now its open. I guess. Maybe thats why I could see in.
But at that time, i was using AOL. Only recently have i gone chrome. AOL is hard to block, or so Ive been told. But they are so slowwwwwwwwwwww. I abandoned them for browsing but kept them cuz I like the email system.

Guest, I guess. I know Im not a member. Well, I am. But the owner refused to remove me as a member and just banned me instead. Dude needed the member count and deleting me would make it a minus one,lol. Couldnt have that, no siree. It was private but now its open. I guess. Maybe thats why I could see in.
But at that time, i was using AOL. Only recently have i gone chrome. AOL is hard to block, or so Ive been told. But they are so slowwwwwwwwwwww. I abandoned them for browsing but kept them cuz I like the email system.

Did you log in to look? If you did then you did not look as a guest.

Forum List

Back