Can't Load USMB from Home Computer????

Caroljo

Gold Member
Jun 2, 2009
Michigan
I'm hoping someone can help me out with this...last week all of a sudden i was unable to get on USMB from my home computer. I can (of course) get here from my computer at work, but not from home. It just times out and then asks if i've put in the right web address. I've tried typing it in, going through a search engine to get here..nothing works. I normally use Firefox, but i also have Google Chrome and that didn't work either, so i'm assuming it's some setting on my computer? Any ideas???? I can't figure out why it just all of a sudden did this!!

The site is AWFUL in the early morning. There are days I just give up waiting on it to respond before 7am. I don't know if the server reboots, or the services and db's compact and rebuild then, but there are mornings when it is pointless to try and post or read.

But it sounds like your problem is likely due to an update being applied that has screwed up your settings. If you're running Windows, you could try restoring to a point before the problems started and see if that solves it. It also *could* be some sort of virus, but you would notice the same problem with other sites as well, or other strange behaviors.

I would try restoring first, then go from there.

You might clean up your temp files too, especially your internet temp files. There might be a conflict with one of the temp files when you are trying to open USMB.

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this...last week all of a sudden i was unable to get on USMB from my home computer. I can (of course) get here from my computer at work, but not from home. It just times out and then asks if i've put in the right web address. I've tried typing it in, going through a search engine to get here..nothing works. I normally use Firefox, but i also have Google Chrome and that didn't work either, so i'm assuming it's some setting on my computer? Any ideas???? I can't figure out why it just all of a sudden did this!!

Firefox is a pain in the ass if you forget to exit properly. It remembers the last windows you had open and reloads them. My suggestion is make sure your registry doesn't have any errors and maybe you need to clean all of the clutter out as well.

The site is AWFUL in the early morning. There are days I just give up waiting on it to respond before 7am. I don't know if the server reboots, or the services and db's compact and rebuild then, but there are mornings when it is pointless to try and post or read.

But it sounds like your problem is likely due to an update being applied that has screwed up your settings. If you're running Windows, you could try restoring to a point before the problems started and see if that solves it. It also *could* be some sort of virus, but you would notice the same problem with other sites as well, or other strange behaviors.

I would try restoring first, then go from there.

Thanks Mini...i'll try that when i get home!

You might clean up your temp files too, especially your internet temp files. There might be a conflict with one of the temp files when you are trying to open USMB.

This i did do...cleaned up all history, cookies, everything...it still didn't work. But thanks!!

Is it just the USMB or is it every site? If it's really slow across the board you could have a couple of issues, ethernet card could be going bad, corrupted or out of date bios files controlling communication ports, picked up a virus or your computer has become a BOT.

Is it just the USMB or is it every site? If it's really slow across the board you could have a couple of issues, ethernet card could be going bad, corrupted or out of date bios files controlling communication ports, picked up a virus or your computer has become a BOT.

It's only this site! That's what i don't get...why would it all of a sudden just stop loading only this one??? When i try to get here, at the bottom instead of saying "waiting for" the site to load, it says "looking for". Then the Page cannot be displayed" comes up.
Backing it up didn't work...so i'm going to try the site you gave me to try cleaning it up! Thanks!

It's only this site! That's what i don't get...why would it all of a sudden just stop loading only this one??? When i try to get here, at the bottom instead of saying "waiting for" the site to load, it says "looking for". Then the Page cannot be displayed" comes up.
Backing it up didn't work...so i'm going to try the site you gave me to try cleaning it up! Thanks!
Did you just get any upgrades or updates, for anything? It could be nothing more than a changed setting that is blocking the site. Look at your firewall settings-allowed/blocked sites, make sure it's not blocked.

I give up...the C Cleaner didn't help it either. I think i just have a piece of crap old laptop that needs to be replaced! In fact i know i do :)....gotta find some money to get another! Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!!

I give up...the C Cleaner didn't help it either. I think i just have a piece of crap old laptop that needs to be replaced! In fact i know i do :)....gotta find some money to get another! Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!!

Here's where I got my $1000 17" laptop for $500 shipped.

Outlet Laptops & Netbooks | Dell

And here's the coupons:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/dellcoupon_savings?c=us&l=en&cs=19

Some will tell you Dell is a piece of shit, hell, some will tell you Toshiba is a piece of shit. I've had absolutely no issues with my Dell other than I didn't research it properly and didn't get one with the graphics chip I wanted. My fault.

Last edited:
My laptop is an older Toshiba. We also have a desktop computer, and i just realized last night that i can't get here with that one either. So i'm really wondering what's going on...something with my server maybe?

My laptop is an older Toshiba. We also have a desktop computer, and i just realized last night that i can't get here with that one either. So i'm really wondering what's going on...something with my server maybe?

Now you're getting into a realm that I am not all that familiar with. Hazarding a guess it could be your service provider blocked the site for some reason or it's a simple setting with your router security software that's been changed and is blocking the site. Contact your service provider and find out, just be prepared for them to tell you it's a issue with your operating system and you have to contact the OS manufacturer, it's their generic fall back when they can't figure out what the problem is.

OK. Knock off the bullshit. Do you know how to burn a DVD ?
Go download Linux Mint 10 Julia, read all about it, and install it.
HERE: Download - Linux Mint
I'd recommend another system but I don't think you are up to it ( nothing personal but yer uh murkin)
If your machine won't work with Mint 10, toss it in the middle of the freeway......IT B POSSESSED !

I'd recommend another system but I don't think you are up to it ( nothing personal but yer uh murkin)
If your machine won't work with Mint 10, toss it in the middle of the freeway......IT B POSSESSED !

Are you Kitten Koder reborn?

Um...not sure what "yer uh murkin" means...but you're right if you're saying i don't know ALOT about computers! :) Yes, i can burn a DVD...i'll look into this. And you're also right, i think my computers are possessed - and i really do need a new one but can't afford it right now! But thanks for the advise!

Forum List

Back