Question About Marriage

...can anyone tell me, besides the fulfillment of the natural sexual desires, what is the purpose of marriage?

If anyone says, "Because the Bible says that it was not good for Adam to be alone," I'm not a Bible-believer though I do use the Bible in debates for those who believe in the Bible.

Thanks for all answers:).
Has anyone taught you 2+2?yet?
The fundamental reason for marriage is to pledge fidelity to your spouse, with the intent to have children whom you will both love and raise to be better than you.

I've always wondered this myself. I'm a bit leery of marriage since I have children (a year old boy and another boy on the way). I always feel like I'm not good enough.

Security. I've since learned I could do just as well on my own.
Companionship can't be done alone.

The security of love and companionship is the only security I married for.

I understand. Just, knowing myself, I can do with less companionship than many people.

Well that's obvious. I'm single. I have no intention of getting married.

But I'm also, actually single.

Some men, but tons of women, pretend they can be single, when they really can't.

If you are living with someone, and saying "Being single is better. I don't need to be married", you are just lying to yourself. Move out on your own, with no one, and then tell me that. Because I can, and I am.

I've always wondered this myself. I'm a bit leery of marriage since I have children (a year old boy and another boy on the way). I always feel like I'm not good enough.

Christian response coming: Of course you are not good enough. None of us are. Marriage, and faith, is all about admitting you are not good enough, and excepting yourself, and your spouse, with the limitations we all have, and making the choice to live together for life.

Welcome to the human experience Darlene. None of us are good enough. We make do the best we can.

Security. I've since learned I could do just as well on my own.
Companionship can't be done alone.

The security of love and companionship is the only security I married for.

I understand. Just, knowing myself, I can do with less companionship than many people.

Some men, but tons of women, pretend they can be single, when they really can't.

If you are living with someone, and saying "Being single is better. I don't need to be married", you are just lying to yourself. Move out on your own, with no one, and then tell me that. Because I can, and I am.
Androw, you know... the rest of the story.

G'day!

...can anyone tell me, besides the fulfillment of the natural sexual desires, what is the purpose of marriage?

To bring men into the world of women and women into the world of men. To allow men to change women and to allow women to change men. This makes for a better society.

It's generally accepted by everyone that men treat women better today than their grandfathers treated women back in the old days. However, with this better treatment across the board we have Democrats claiming, and women believing that there is a war on women. We have women believing that there is a rape epidemic befalling them.

Marriage is at an all-time low, the age of first marriage is at an all time high. Women are trying to redefine rape to include regret sex.

A lot of these problems arise because the world of men and the world of women are now more separate than they ever were. Marriage mashes a young man and his world into intimate contact with the world of a young woman and together they find a way to influence each other and craft a world that works for both of them and they take this perspective out into the real world, along with all the other married people, and shape society.

Life, and society, were more pleasant when 90% of the adult population was married compared to the 50% today.

To bring men into the world of women and women into the world of men. To allow men to change women and to allow women to change men. This makes for a better society.

It's generally accepted by everyone that men treat women better today than their grandfathers treated women back in the old days. However, with this better treatment across the board we have Democrats claiming, and women believing that there is a war on women. We have women believing that there is a rape epidemic befalling them.

Marriage is at an all-time low, the age of first marriage is at an all time high. Women are trying to redefine rape to include regret sex.

A lot of these problems arise because the world of men and the world of women are now more separate than they ever were. Marriage mashes a young man and his world into intimate contact with the world of a young woman and together they find a way to influence each other and craft a world that works for both of them and they take this perspective out into the real world, along with all the other married people, and shape society.

Life, and society, were more pleasant when 90% of the adult population was married compared to the 50% today.

Thanks for contributing...my ideal marriage is a woman having her own home and a man having his own home; the wife supplying her own financial needs and the husband supplying his own financial needs and the two only meet to fulfill the natural sexual desires. If there were children, the couple would share custody of the children.

And I don't think that that type of marriage would hurt society.

Peace.

Ummmmm....ok.

Great for you. Have a sticker. :)

Thanks for contributing...my ideal marriage is a woman having her own home and a man having his own home; the wife supplying her own financial needs and the husband supplying his own financial needs and the two only meet to fulfill the natural sexual desires. If there were children, the couple would share custody of the children.

Peace.

Choosing to voluntarily make yourself poor. OK. Don't expect taxpayers to make up the difference though, that's unworkable, not to mention immoral.

If anyone says, "Because the Bible says that it was not good for Adam to be alone," I'm not a Bible-believer though I do use the Bible in debates for those who believe in the Bible.

Thanks for all answers:).

Marriage is the formal recognition of that union.
For spiritual reasons, it is formalizing the commitment.

The union between the man and woman is supposed to represent
the collectively unity between all people as the Bride or church and
the Lord or Law as the government or protectorate of the people.
So perfect harmony in local relations between individuals means
collective harmony worldwide for all people living in peace under law.
What we commit to locally, collectively is realized on a global scale for all humanity.
That is the spiritual meaning on the highest level if you believe in this connection.

For practical reasons, patriarchal marriage laws were originally to ensure
the wives would be faithful to the husbands so their heirs would be theirs.
both the wives and children were treated as property of the estate.

Now, as society becomes more open economically and not as dependent
on the same structures, people can have the spiritual commitment
separate from the financial sharing. People do not necessarily have
to share property or finances but can remain fiscally separate.

If couples have children, it helps to have a formal agreement how to
handle the responsibility and finances. But even with the rise in gay marriage,
this also could be separated, and keep the personal or spiritual partnership
through the private churches, and only manage the legal agreements on
estate, custody and shared property through the state as a civil matter.

Peace.

That's terrible. Do you not realize how much damage that does to children? They need a mother and father in their lives. Not in separate houses. Just go and see our prisons filled with people who grew up in broken homes.

Choosing to voluntarily make yourself poor. OK. Don't expect taxpayers to make up the difference though, that's unworkable, not to mention immoral.

I don't follow you...who said anything about choosing to make myself poor or expecting taxpayers to "make up the difference?"

If you are an American government spy, then obviously someone cannot work in a society where their government breaks into their home and puts recording equipment in their home and would follow their target to their place of employment and try to make trouble at their job for them.

You prove my point about why some people cannot work; you come onto this site to possibly let me know that you are spying on me, you sick trash lol. I didn't ask the taxpayers for help and I don't give a flying rat's *ss about what the taxpayers or the American government does, LOSER!

Forum List

Back