Question About Marriage

Mr. Ofo Oao

Sep 19, 2014
...can anyone tell me, besides the fulfillment of the natural sexual desires, what is the purpose of marriage?

If anyone says, "Because the Bible says that it was not good for Adam to be alone," I'm not a Bible-believer though I do use the Bible in debates for those who believe in the Bible.

Thanks for all answers:).

To have a life long partner to share your lifetime experiences and journeys.
To have support though good and bad times.
To have a best friend at your side.
Your financial status is always better than being by yourself with just your own income (unless you are making real good money) most of us are just average income workers.
Having someone else with you to share you life is always better than being alone.
There are a few exceptions of some who really love being alone and don't want a partner or marriage.
I had a great uncle who was like that, but he had a life long girlfriend who felt the same way. They each had their own place and each one of them was making good money so that they were able to have that life style choice. They were together for 50 years before my uncle died.

...can anyone tell me, besides the fulfillment of the natural sexual desires, what is the purpose of marriage?

If anyone says, "Because the Bible says that it was not good for Adam to be alone," I'm not a Bible-believer though I do use the Bible in debates for those who believe in the Bible.

Has anyone taught you 2+2?yet?

That's pretty much it. G-d designed man with a specific way relationships work. That way, is through G-d's created institution of marriage.

The way G-d designed it, a man and a woman, does life together in the form of a family, through marriage. It is to have a deep personal relationship with each other, to have someone to talk to about all things, to run a home together, and of course sexual pleasure and children.

Outside of G-d's design, it doesn't work too well, and most of the problem in our society are all due to the culture abandoning G-d's design.

Now if you don't believe in G-d, then marriage has no meaning, except whatever meaning man gives it. So you can assign whatever view you want to the purpose of marriage.

The purpose of marriage is to acknowledge the commitment of two consenting and equal adult partners in a union recognized by the state in accordance with the contract law of the state.

It can provide security through a commitment...although it isn't required for all couples, and can often be a false sense of security.

The purpose of marriage is to acknowledge the commitment of two consenting and equal adult partners in a union recognized by the state in accordance with the contract law of the state.
Yup State recognized marriage is to establish who has what contract in law established for them by marriage.

It can provide security through a commitment...although it isn't required for all couples, and can often be a false sense of security.

Actually, I don't know of any couples anywhere, who have a sense of security without marriage. No, marriage isn't a 100% guarantee of security in marriage, but smoking isn't a 100% guarantee of cancer either. Certainly having either ups the chances.

To have a life long partner to share your lifetime experiences and journeys.
To have support though good and bad times.
To have a best friend at your side.
Your financial status is always better than being by yourself with just your own income (unless you are making real good money) most of us are just average income workers.
Having someone else with you to share you life is always better than being alone.
There are a few exceptions of some who really love being alone and don't want a partner or marriage.
I had a great uncle who was like that, but he had a life long girlfriend who felt the same way. They each had their own place and each one of them was making good money so that they were able to have that life style choice. They were together for 50 years before my uncle died.

I think there might be more people than you are aware of that like being alone. You said "few" but I can't verify that there are "few."

I can speak for myself and say that not everyone dislikes being alone.

The way I heard it, misery loves company, so maybe happiness likes being alone.

Peace.

That's pretty much it. G-d designed man with a specific way relationships work. That way, is through G-d's created institution of marriage.

The way G-d designed it, a man and a woman, does life together in the form of a family, through marriage. It is to have a deep personal relationship with each other, to have someone to talk to about all things, to run a home together, and of course sexual pleasure and children.

Outside of G-d's design, it doesn't work too well, and most of the problem in our society are all due to the culture abandoning G-d's design.

Now if you don't believe in G-d, then marriage has no meaning, except whatever meaning man gives it. So you can assign whatever view you want to the purpose of marriage.

Thanks for sharing, man.

To ensure Men and women maintain their proper roles in society. It us a Man's role to LEAD. It is a woman's role to support. Proper marriages bring these two roles together to form a cohesive family unit.

Actually, I don't know of any couples anywhere, who have a sense of security without marriage. No, marriage isn't a 100% guarantee of security in marriage, but smoking isn't a 100% guarantee of cancer either. Certainly having either ups the chances.

Just because you don't know any, doesn't mean they don't exist...not everyone requires a piece of paper to feel more trusting and secure towards their partner. It's not the predominant choice, but it certainly occurs in some relationships.

Just because you don't know any, doesn't mean they don't exist...not everyone requires a piece of paper to feel more trusting and secure towards their partner. It's not the predominant choice, but it certainly occurs in some relationships.

No, I know plenty that 'say' they are secure in their relationship. But I can tell they are not. They don't act like they are secure. They don't treat each other like they are in a permanent relationship. But oh yeah, they'll say they are. I've met plenty that 'say' they are.

In fact, I just had this happen a year ago. I met a couple from Canada, who were living together for several years. I knew them for years. Both of them said they'd never get married. No need. Why bother? It's just a bit of paper.

I even asked the girl (she brought up the topic not me), because we were friends for several years, I ask since they are not married, statically, he'll move on and find someone else to shack up with, wasn't she worried about that? She said no way, not a chance. They were dedicated to each other. I said ok.

Last year, he was gone. She went to work one morning, came home and the house was cleaned out. She can't even get her stuff back, because legally they both owned it all 50/50. So she can't go to divorce court and separate stuff, because they were not married. She just lost everything, and him.

Found out.... she freaked out on him, because he was talking to another girl. He wasn't do anything, she just couldn't stand him talking to other girls, and he had enough, and ditched her.

Why did she do that? She wasn't secure. They were not married, and she knew that deep inside, and knew he could leave at any time.... and she was right. He dropped her like a bad habit. Why not? He wasn't married, and made no promises.

So yeah, plenty say they don't need marriage. But saying you are secure, and actually being secure, are two different things.

No, I know plenty that 'say' they are secure in their relationship. But I can tell they are not. They don't act like they are secure. They don't treat each other like they are in a permanent relationship. But oh yeah, they'll say they are. I've met plenty that 'say' they are.

In fact, I just had this happen a year ago. I met a couple from Canada, who were living together for several years. I knew them for years. Both of them said they'd never get married. No need. Why bother? It's just a bit of paper.

I even asked the girl (she brought up the topic not me), because we were friends for several years, I ask since they are not married, statically, he'll move on and find someone else to shack up with, wasn't she worried about that? She said no way, not a chance. They were dedicated to each other. I said ok.

Last year, he was gone. She went to work one morning, came home and the house was cleaned out. She can't even get her stuff back, because legally they both owned it all 50/50. So she can't go to divorce court and separate stuff, because they were not married. She just lost everything, and him.

Found out.... she freaked out on him, because he was talking to another girl. He wasn't do anything, she just couldn't stand him talking to other girls, and he had enough, and ditched her.

Why did she do that? She wasn't secure. They were not married, and she knew that deep inside, and knew he could leave at any time.... and she was right. He dropped her like a bad habit. Why not? He wasn't married, and made no promises.

So yeah, plenty say they don't need marriage. But saying you are secure, and actually being secure, are two different things.

Anyone can list an example to support their claim...I avoid dealing in absolutes.

New Topics

Forum List

Back