Question about basic training

Discussion in 'Military' started by Caligirl, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Caligirl

Caligirl Oh yes it is too!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240
    My nephew started basic training just a few weeks ago. We're not a military family, so he doesn't have it in his blood, but I guess he wanted to join up so he did. We expected him to do just fine, he's physically capable and bright and gave the decision a lot of thought.

We got word that he is being separated at the entry level and will be home in a couple weeks. Two questions:

1. Mainly, we're worried for him that this will be hugely demoralizing. So, what would be most helpful for us to do? Any advice is welcome. he does have a serious girlfriend waiting for him here at home, so maybe she will end up being the main thing he comes back to.

2. What do you think the reasoning is for this from the military perspective? So soon after joining up, is this sort of thing more likely poor performance on his part or a general recognition that he's not cut out for it? Why are most of these things done? Could he sort of have requested this?

thanks guys,
    -caligirl

2. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,413
    Everybody isn't cut out for the military. I have nieces and nephews who made it through basic just fine and went on to military careers. Others simply could not or did not want to cut it including one who went D.O.R. from Naval Officer training school. One niece found out she didn't like the Navy at all and finally went AWOL in desperation. Her dad made her go back and finish her tour of duty, but she bailed at the earliest opportunity she could legally do so.

There are any number of reasons for not qualifying or not wanting to be in the military just as all of us are not qualified to do many things while we can do other things easily. I think you just reassure your nephew that he is loved, respected, and encourage him to get on with his life. No reason to think any 'failure' is the end of the world. I suppose there are those who have succeeded at everything they tried, but most of us have failed at something. Such gives us respect for our own limitations, appreciation that we really are called to do some things and not others, and that all of us are brilliant but in different ways.

If friends and family reassure your nephew of these truths, he will get over it and get on with his life just fine.

3. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    What branch did he enlist in? He washed out, could be physical, mental or he just wasn't a team player (problem child). Curious as to what branch of service he entered.

4. Caligirl

Caligirl Oh yes it is too!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240
    I thought it was Army all during the pre-enlistment family discussions but in the last email my sis said it was marines. So, probably marines.

Thanks so far - curious for any and all feedback.

5. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    If it was the Marines my guess he washed out due to the physical aspect. Even people who think they were fit learn pretty fast in BT that they are not.

6. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    Caligirl perhaps he decided it wasn't for him and he just screwed up on purpose so they would release him. That happens a lot too.

7. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Don't view it as the end of the world. It's nothing more major than a kid switching majors (heheh, kinda a pun there) a few terms in, when they find they aren't suited.

My nephew, who is BRILLIANT, has been to 3 different colleges, came home in terrible shape emotionally a couple of times, had to re-group and then head out again.

It's part of growing up. You might want to have the folks see if they can find out exactly HOW he's not cut out, in case it's something that needs to be addressed, but if it's just that he's not good at hippity-hopping on cue I wouldn't sweat it too much.

My son joined the Nat'l Guard, went to basic, did great, came home and had a HORRIBLE time with his unit. Finally transferred to Ft. Campbell in KY, where he's doing great and is treated like a human. For some reason they didn't like him in Pendleton...but then he's a couple of years older now, too.

8. namvet

namvet Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,815
    he does have to impress nice guys like this. mine was an SOB

[youtube]4o7oKQECBjs[/youtube]

:lol::lol:

9. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    That may be it.
    A friend and I joined the Army together, once we were in, he decided it wasn't for him, and he intentionally screwed everything up until they released him.
    The drill sergeant would say left face and he'd turn right.
    They'd say do 20 push ups and he'd lose count at 9, then say he couldn't do anymore.
    He went through total hell for 3 weeks before they released him.

10. namvet

namvet Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,815
    those guys are assigned to a special unit to find out what their problem really is. including PT'n their ass