Public School Teaches Holocaust Denial

Edgetho

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2012
A Public School in California (where else?) decided to ask 8th Graders (EIGHTH GRADERS?!?!) (edge: edited for correction) to write a paper on whether they thought the Holocaust actually happened or whether it was just a put-on designed to garner sympathy and favor for Jews.

They were shocked when the assignment didn't go over real well with Parents. Imagine that :dunno:

There are actions taking place just under the radar of the Public Eye that you don't know about.... But should.

You won't, though. Not if the DISGUSTING FILTH in the LSM has any say in it. You'll stay in the dark the rest of your lives and be spoon-fed the pablum that the LSM wants you to have. Nothing more.

Because, you know -- You're stupid. And they have to protect you from yourself and make decisions for you and tell you what to think and how to vote and.....

Patterico's Pontifications » Wait Until You See What the L.A. Times Thinks ?Multiple Credible Sources? Are

Wait Until You See What the L.A. Times Thinks “Multiple Credible Sources” Are

Let’s hear from the L.A. Times:

The Rialto Unified School District has decided not to ask its eighth-grade students to argue whether the Holocaust happened after the assignment came under fire.

The decision to revise the assignment came Monday after it drew criticism from the Anti-Defamation League and the Simon Wiesenthal Center, which called it “grotesque” in a statement issued that same day.

Rabbi Abraham Cooper, associate dean of the Los Angeles-based center, said the district’s “assignment mistakenly provides moral equivalency between history and bigotry.”

School administrators planned to “assure that any references to the Holocaust ‘not occurring’ would be stricken from any research assignment,” KTLA-TV reported, citing a district statement.

Students were asked to research and write an argumentative essay about whether the Holocaust actually occurred or if it was “merely a political scheme created to influence public emotion and gain wealth.”

They were required to analyze information from multiple, credible sources.

That is rich. Wait until you read, in a story from local news station KTLA, what those “multiple, credible sources” are.

The 18-page assignment instructions included three sources that students were told to use, including one that stated gassings in concentration camps were a “hoax” and that no evidence has shown Jews died in gas chambers.

“With all this money at stake for Israel, it is easy to comprehend why this Holocaust hoax is so secretly guarded,” states the source, which is a attributed to a webpage on biblebelievers.org.au. “In whatever way you can, please help shatter this profitable myth. It is time we stop sacrificing America’s welfare for the sake of Israel and spend our hard-earned dollars on Americans.”

The other sources were from the websites history.com and about.com.

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we just discovered the root of the journalistic problem at the Los Angeles Times. When they base one of their stories on “multiple credible sources” they mean a collection of crackpots and random generalist Internet sites, including ones that rely one sites editable by anyone.

As Ed Morrissey aptly notes: “Really? Why not add Wikipedia in there, too? If the school wanted to teach critical thinking, why not start by teaching students to look for primary sources?”

Unlike many, I have mixed feelings about this assignment. In an ideal world of school competition, no subject should be off-limits for critical thinking — and, done correctly, this could be a smashing assignment. You get students to look at these sites, write their essays, and then hit them over the head with the facts. As Instapundit notes:

[W]hen then-Gen. Eisenhower liberated Europe from the Nazis, he very deliberately ordered their concentration camps to be filmed and otherwise thoroughly documented, lest such staggering atrocities become attributed to “propaganda.”

Yup. So what you do is, you let the kids do their research and write their papers. Then you tell them in no uncertain terms that this happened. That it was well documented. That the documentation was done for a reason: because we knew there would always be crackpots like that Internet page we showed you.

It would teach kids about the dangers of relying on random bullshit from the Internet. And that is an absolutely critical skill these days. One that L.A. Times reporters have not absorbed.

Here’s the problem. In a world where we get to choose our children’s schools, I could get behind an assignment like that, because I could have control over whether it’s done right — and if it’s not, I can go to the competition.

But I don’t trust government-run schools, with their allegiance to Common Core and all the rest, to do it right. And this story shows why.

Edge:

You need to pay attention to what your kids are being taught in school, people.

But don't be surprised if you get arrested for objecting to it

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsbS9JD7Pvw]Raw video: Man arrested at Gilford school board meeting - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HC2LPu8wHQ]PART 1 - Gilford NH Parent arrested for violating 2-minute speaking rule at school board meeting - YouTube[/ame]

Gilford school officials claim the book, “Nineteen Minutes” by Jodi Picoult, contains important themes about a school shooting. But some parents believe a scene described in the book is inappropriate for their children.

According to WCVB-TV, the book contains a graphic description of rough sex between two teenagers, which parents were unaware of until the book had already been distributed to their kids.

You're next.

Your children aren't yours, they're the government's

Last edited:
THIRD GRADERS?!?!

OMG I didn't realize that aspect of this story until now.

Had this been a high school exercise, I might have understood how a teacher could propose this assignment (it would be foolish, anyway but third grade?!)

A Public School in California (where else?) decided to ask 3rd Graders (THIRD GRADERS?!?!) to write a paper on whether they thought the Holocaust actually happened or whether it was just a put-on designed to garner sympathy and favor for Jews.

They were shocked when the assignment didn't go over real well with Parents. Imagine that :dunno:

There are actions taking place just under the radar of the Public Eye that you don't know about.... But should.

You won't, though. Not if the DISGUSTING FILTH in the LSM has any say in it. You'll stay in the dark the rest of your lives and be spoon-fed the pablum that the LSM wants you to have. Nothing more.

Because, you know -- You're stupid. And they have to protect you from yourself and make decisions for you and tell you what to think and how to vote and.....

Patterico's Pontifications » Wait Until You See What the L.A. Times Thinks ?Multiple Credible Sources? Are

Wait Until You See What the L.A. Times Thinks “Multiple Credible Sources” Are

Let’s hear from the L.A. Times:

The Rialto Unified School District has decided not to ask its eighth-grade students to argue whether the Holocaust happened after the assignment came under fire.

The decision to revise the assignment came Monday after it drew criticism from the Anti-Defamation League and the Simon Wiesenthal Center, which called it “grotesque” in a statement issued that same day.

Rabbi Abraham Cooper, associate dean of the Los Angeles-based center, said the district’s “assignment mistakenly provides moral equivalency between history and bigotry.”

School administrators planned to “assure that any references to the Holocaust ‘not occurring’ would be stricken from any research assignment,” KTLA-TV reported, citing a district statement.

Students were asked to research and write an argumentative essay about whether the Holocaust actually occurred or if it was “merely a political scheme created to influence public emotion and gain wealth.”

They were required to analyze information from multiple, credible sources.

That is rich. Wait until you read, in a story from local news station KTLA, what those “multiple, credible sources” are.

The 18-page assignment instructions included three sources that students were told to use, including one that stated gassings in concentration camps were a “hoax” and that no evidence has shown Jews died in gas chambers.

“With all this money at stake for Israel, it is easy to comprehend why this Holocaust hoax is so secretly guarded,” states the source, which is a attributed to a webpage on biblebelievers.org.au. “In whatever way you can, please help shatter this profitable myth. It is time we stop sacrificing America’s welfare for the sake of Israel and spend our hard-earned dollars on Americans.”

The other sources were from the websites history.com and about.com.

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we just discovered the root of the journalistic problem at the Los Angeles Times. When they base one of their stories on “multiple credible sources” they mean a collection of crackpots and random generalist Internet sites, including ones that rely one sites editable by anyone.

As Ed Morrissey aptly notes: “Really? Why not add Wikipedia in there, too? If the school wanted to teach critical thinking, why not start by teaching students to look for primary sources?”

Unlike many, I have mixed feelings about this assignment. In an ideal world of school competition, no subject should be off-limits for critical thinking — and, done correctly, this could be a smashing assignment. You get students to look at these sites, write their essays, and then hit them over the head with the facts. As Instapundit notes:

[W]hen then-Gen. Eisenhower liberated Europe from the Nazis, he very deliberately ordered their concentration camps to be filmed and otherwise thoroughly documented, lest such staggering atrocities become attributed to “propaganda.”

Yup. So what you do is, you let the kids do their research and write their papers. Then you tell them in no uncertain terms that this happened. That it was well documented. That the documentation was done for a reason: because we knew there would always be crackpots like that Internet page we showed you.

It would teach kids about the dangers of relying on random bullshit from the Internet. And that is an absolutely critical skill these days. One that L.A. Times reporters have not absorbed.

Here’s the problem. In a world where we get to choose our children’s schools, I could get behind an assignment like that, because I could have control over whether it’s done right — and if it’s not, I can go to the competition.

But I don’t trust government-run schools, with their allegiance to Common Core and all the rest, to do it right. And this story shows why.

Edge:

You need to pay attention to what your kids are being taught in school, people.

Gilford school officials claim the book, “Nineteen Minutes” by Jodi Picoult, contains important themes about a school shooting. But some parents believe a scene described in the book is inappropriate for their children.

According to WCVB-TV, the book contains a graphic description of rough sex between two teenagers, which parents were unaware of until the book had already been distributed to their kids.

You're next.

Your children aren't yours, they're the government's

The idea that our schools would even consider giving credence to the holocaust deniers is ridiculous.

There are far better ways to tech critical thinking than that.

This has been resolved. Let's mush on.

But the system that put such a grotesque lesson in place has not changed.

So rather than "mush on", we should be discussing the ways parents can have an active hand in what their children are taught.

THIRD GRADERS?!?!

Had this been a high school exercise, I might have understood how a teacher could propose this assignment (it would be foolish, anyway but third grade?!)

My bad. I mis-typed that. It should have read 8th Graders.

But 8th Graders? Come on. They were just introduced to pubic hair

THIRD GRADERS?!?!

My bad. I mis-typed that. It should have read 8th Graders.

But 8th Graders? Come on. They were just introduced to pubic hair

:lol:

If they wanted to do a " question all authority " exercise they were really stupid to chose the holocaust as something to question.

The important thing is not to have eighth graders doing their own search for truth, evidence, sources and different takes on history it invites too much thinking and that's not good for the parents.
If anything we should start a "Save Our Parents organization" and stop this damn thinking thing.

The important thing is not to have eighth graders doing their own search for truth, evidence, sources and different takes on history it invites too much thinking and that's not good for the parents.
If anything we should start a "Save Our Parents organization" and stop this damn thinking thing.

WTH? If you actually believe that I hope you have no say in the education system.

If you are posting for sarcasm, please tell us what "truth" you think was involved in the assignment given?

With common core, students arent taught, hence holocaust denier projects.

Sounds to me that the two biggest issues was....8th graders (too hard) and Holocaust (too hot a topic).

I am curious why they are doing the Holocaust when 8th grade in CA is American History from 1776 to Reconstruction.....Maybe a critical thinking lesson on the "Mexican War" or even the "Revolutionary War"? I think slavery too would be too hot a topic.

Last edited:
Teach the Controversy!

Well, I mean if it's good enough for biology classes, it's good enough for every other class. Teach Holocaust Denialism in History. Teach AIDS Denialism in Health. Teach Sovereign Citizenism in Civics. Teach Geocentrism in science.

:cuckoo:

WTH? If you actually believe that I hope you have no say in the education system.

If you are posting for sarcasm, please tell us what "truth" you think was involved in the assignment given?

It's sarcasm. I think it's a great assignment, but it seems the parents aren't up to it. Probably many parents already have their beliefs about this. and other issues in history, and maybe they want the truth taught as they memorized the truth. The same thing holds true for some other subjects, science being a biggie.
The safest way to teach history is to have kids memorize the George Washington cherry-tree story; that one never gets a kickback.

Forum List

Back