Public Education Failing

You won't get them until the Department of Education is dissolved and the teacher's unions broken.

This is utter bullshit. You’ve fragmented and starved public education with at home schooling, and charter schools.

Teachers across the US are complaining that funding is still at pre-2008 levels and has been cut substantially. Teacher wages are low and investments in books, computers and smaller class sizes are non-existent.

American families pay more out of pocket for their children’s education than any other first world country and they have little to show for the money they spend.

Once again, Republicans have starved a tax payer funded public benefit until it really isn’t functioning well, and now they want to get rid of public education completely. Fuck poor kids. Throw them all in jail before they breed.
The bullshit are your excuses for failing public schools. That's the reason for home schooling and charter schools. Fix your problem and you'll get your funding. No one likes to waste hard earned tax dollars.
Charter schools are public schools....didn't your in house education expert tell you that?

The left gets a bit nasty and irritated when they get called to accountability. The so called union "educators" think they're above the citizens that pay their salaries. Enough is enough.

Haven't seen anyone suggest any such thing.

Where does this inferiority complex come from?

Nothing wrong with unions

Otherwise we end up with Oklahoma or West Virginia
That's where we disagree. Unions are a big part of the problem in my opinion. It's against the law in Washington state for teachers to walk out during the school year, yet they did it. When the laws are ignored, there's something wrong. Unions have nothing to do with education and actually hurt education in my opinion. It's not about the teacher, it's about educating the student. Unions are never satisfied. Raising taxes on families where both parents work 12 months a year to pay for a teacher working 9 months a year and making more money is what people are angry about.

The teacher is paid for 187 days. His/her salary is divided by 12 to calculate his/her monthly salary. It is the parents who want the flexibility to have their child available for THEIR vacation when it's convenient for the parent's work schedule. During the time school IS in session, the teacher designs lessons for the most able students while trying to maintain order in a classroom filled with students who have no manners, no concept of civil behavior and some who are truly mentally ill.

Your contempt for teaching is obvious and not based on anything but your prejudices.
My wife is a teacher's aide for special education, so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Give the teachers back their authority in the classroom. Teachers are handcuffed.

You don't know what you are talking about.
Oh, go to hell. You better contribute something more than that if you want to participate here. Idiot.

Meltdown over yet?

75 percent of the counties in this country are run by the Republicans

They call the shots, they find the schools
Ok, whatever. Give me some solutions for the public education failure.
Fewer mandatory exams
A willingness to accept student improvement over meeting an arbitrary threshold
More vocational and life skills
Low cost higher education
So lower the standards and cost. I agree with lower the cost. However, your unions aren't going to go along. What do we do about the unions?
Nothing wrong with unions

Otherwise we end up with Oklahoma or West Virginia
That's where we disagree. Unions are a big part of the problem in my opinion. It's against the law in Washington state for teachers to walk out during the school year, yet they did it. When the laws are ignored, there's something wrong. Unions have nothing to do with education and actually hurt education in my opinion. It's not about the teacher, it's about educating the student. Unions are never satisfied. Raising taxes on families where both parents work 12 months a year to pay for a teacher working 9 months a year and making more money is what people are angry about.
Passing a law telling teachers they can only strike when nobody gives a shit is one sided

I blame Betsy DeVos
Of course you do. The left never takes responsibility.
Republicans are in charge of education at the federal level, 30 states and most local governments

No wonder it is so screwed up
Um, leftist was in charge the last 8 years and the union and probably 75% of the teachers are leftist. How about some ideas to fix the broken beast. Any ideas?

Yes....all those posters who continue to put up this map: View attachment 191256 forget that it is counties that make up the vast majority of the education direction for their schools.....County Offices of Education.
It is republicans who slash school budgets and then complain about the outcome

Republicans are in charge of education at the federal level, 30 states and most local governments

Um, leftist was in charge the last 8 years and the union and probably 75% of the teachers are leftist. How about some ideas to fix the broken beast. Any ideas?

Yes....all those posters who continue to put up this map: View attachment 191256 forget that it is counties that make up the vast majority of the education direction for their schools.....County Offices of Education.
Seems to me school budgets always get increased. Do you have a link to some school budgets that republicans slashed?

Seems to me school budgets always get increased. Do you have a link to some school budgets that republicans slashed?

Try KY.

Not only did they kill off our pensions, they cut the schools operating budgets!

Republicans cut funding to social spending until the program is fiscally strangled and operating poorly. They they point to it as yet another example of an expensive government failure.

Americans have the most expensive health care in the world and they sell to best of it to anyone with money from anywhere in the world, pricing it out of reach of most Americans.

For Americans, this is a source of pride. People come from all over the world for treatment, and yet 25,000,000 million Americans have no access to this treatment.

I cannnot go to France for treatment because I’m not a French taxpayer. You cannot come to Canada for treatment because you are not a Canadian taxpayer. This is our system for our people.

As long as any Canadian is waiting for treatment, our system is not for sale to foreigners at any price.

Middle class people attacking other middle and lower class people while letting the rich laugh all the way to the bank. Not something Americans should be proud of.

Admiral what exactly did theu do to your pension? Did they not have enough class to at least grandfather veterans in your field?

You won't get them until the Department of Education is dissolved and the teacher's unions broken.

This is utter bullshit. You’ve fragmented and starved public education with at home schooling, and charter schools.

Teachers across the US are complaining that funding is still at pre-2008 levels and has been cut substantially. Teacher wages are low and investments in books, computers and smaller class sizes are non-existent.

American families pay more out of pocket for their children’s education than any other first world country and they have little to show for the money they spend.

Once again, Republicans have starved a tax payer funded public benefit until it really isn’t functioning well, and now they want to get rid of public education completely. Fuck poor kids. Throw them all in jail before they breed.

Wow, you have funny brown eyes.

Starved? Hysterically funny. DC spends $10,000 per pupil per year - more than any other school district in the country - and produces the lowest quality product of all.

Small classes? There were 37 students in my 6th grade class, and one single nun running it. There were no discipline problems, and everyone promoted.

No one wants to get rid of public education. What they want, and rightfully so, is to get rid of the Progressive influence upon it, and return it to the purpose of actually educating children, instead of building the future obedient proletariat.

BTW, home school parents still pay taxes into the public system.

Admiral what exactly did theu do to your pension? Did they not have enough class to at least grandfather veterans in your field?

Reduced cost of living increases, made the required contribution percentage higher with no increase in benefits, and no grandfathering anyone in either.

I am just pulling my retirement out lump sum and taking the tax hit, just so they cannot mess it up further.

I went to work for a defense contractor last week making a nice steady paycheck and doing work I can enjoy without all of the stress.

Starved? Hysterically funny. DC spends $10,000 per pupil per year - more than any other school district in the country - and produces the lowest quality product of all.

Small classes? There were 37 students in my 6th grade class, and one single nun running it. There were no discipline problems, and everyone promoted.

No one wants to get rid of public education. What they want, and rightfully so, is to get rid of the Progressive influence upon it, and return it to the purpose of actually educating children, instead of building the future obedient proletariat.

I pay school taxes too, and my last kid left high school 6 years ago. You are not a special snowflake.

DC has to pay teachers more because of the higher cost of living and the hazardous environment where they work. That is where most of that cost comes from. Do you think someone who works in Long Island gets the same pay as those who live in South Dakota?

How many decades ago did you attend school? The raw materials are not quite the same anymore. When I was in high school, we had one idiot that punched a teacher. That happens daily if not several times a day in that same school today.

I pay school taxes too, and my last kid left high school 6 years ago. You are not a special snowflake.

DC has to pay teachers more because of the higher cost of living and the hazardous environment where they work. That is where most of that cost comes from. Do you think someone who works in Long Island gets the same pay as those who live in South Dakota?

How many decades ago did you attend school? The raw materials are not quite the same anymore. When I was in high school, we had one idiot that punched a teacher. That happens daily if not several times a day in that same school today.

I didn't say I was. I was responding to Dragonlady's statement that we are somehow starving public education of funds by homeschooling.

DC has to pay teachers more because of the higher cost of living and the hazardous environment where they work.

Irrelevant. Tax dollars are being completely wasted on what is at this point - short of an application of force to evoke change - a lost cause. Considering the product, none of those currently staffing the DC system should be employed by it.

Yeah, how about that. They brought that on themselves. I would give teachers and school security the authority to literally kick the shit out of the little darlings if they attack, and that kid would never again set foot in a public school.

I didn't say I was. I was responding to Dragonlady's statement that we are somehow starving public education of funds by homeschooling.

DC has to pay teachers more because of the higher cost of living and the hazardous environment where they work.

Irrelevant. Tax dollars are being completely wasted on what is at this point - short of an application of force to evoke change - a lost cause. Considering the product, none of those currently staffing the DC system should be employed by it.

Yeah, how about that. They brought that on themselves. I would give teachers and school security the authority to literally kick the shit out of the little darlings if they attack, and that kid would never again set foot in a public school.

This is not fantasy land where you can change the laws of the United States on a whim, professor.

This is not fantasy land where you can change the laws of the United States on a whim, professor.

Indeed. But you have to start somewhere, grasshopper.

"When you have both parents working to make what one teacher makes a year..." That's insane and unworthy of response.
It's a fact of life for many people. The average wage for teachers in West Virginia is between 45 and 47 thousand. Many families with both parents working don't make that and if you want to include many single parents, not even close. Wake up.

Then perhaps everyone should become a Teacher in West Virginia.
I'll take that as your concession. The point I'm making is teacher salaries should reflect the area in which they live. Some areas have higher costs of living and the citizens are paid accordingly. You can't pay a teacher the same salary in Porcupine butt, Alabama that you pay them in Beverly Hills, California.

You may take it as a concession. I'm a bit pressed for time so can't look up the information to confirm/refute your claim. But, West Virginia is governed by the same law of supply and demand as the rest of the world and if you quality teachers, you have to pay them the going rate.
The going rate is what is negotiated in their contract by elected officials. The problem I have is Washington teachers under contract walking out during the school year. That shows me those teachers don't care about contracts, "the children", or have any respect for the people that pay their salary.

Sure, they should just suffer in silence when they can't pay their bills and take care of their families. Makes perfect sense.

It's a fact of life for many people. The average wage for teachers in West Virginia is between 45 and 47 thousand. Many families with both parents working don't make that and if you want to include many single parents, not even close. Wake up.

I'll take that as your concession. The point I'm making is teacher salaries should reflect the area in which they live. Some areas have higher costs of living and the citizens are paid accordingly. You can't pay a teacher the same salary in Porcupine butt, Alabama that you pay them in Beverly Hills, California.

You may take it as a concession. I'm a bit pressed for time so can't look up the information to confirm/refute your claim. But, West Virginia is governed by the same law of supply and demand as the rest of the world and if you quality teachers, you have to pay them the going rate.
The going rate is what is negotiated in their contract by elected officials. The problem I have is Washington teachers under contract walking out during the school year. That shows me those teachers don't care about contracts, "the children", or have any respect for the people that pay their salary.

Sure, they should just suffer in silence when they can't pay their bills and take care of their families. Makes perfect sense.
Oh, the poor pitiful urchins. Sell that propaganda to the naïve college kids. Idiot.
Public School Teacher Salaries in Washington and by education, experience, Location and more - Salary.com

Oh, the poor pitiful urchins. Sell that propaganda to the naïve college kids.

I appreciate you admitting you aren't able to understand or have empathy for others. I'm sure your problem with education is that you didn't make use of the opportunities that you had in school and now are bitter that McDonald's won't pay you $15.00 an hour to ask if they want fries.

So far, you've said nothing of value. I encourage you to take remedial night classes and try to become a productive member of society. Adieu.

Forum List

Back