Public Education Failing

Public education is bad, bad, bad, a danger to society....

Purge those communists teachers.... purge them....

I blame Betsy DeVos
Of course you do. The left never takes responsibility.
Republicans are in charge of education at the federal level, 30 states and most local governments

No wonder it is so screwed up
Um, leftist was in charge the last 8 years and the union and probably 75% of the teachers are leftist. How about some ideas to fix the broken beast. Any ideas?

75 percent of the counties in this country are run by the Republicans

They call the shots, they find the schools

I blame Betsy DeVos
Republicans are in charge of education at the federal level, 30 states and most local governments

Um, leftist was in charge the last 8 years and the union and probably 75% of the teachers are leftist. How about some ideas to fix the broken beast. Any ideas?

Ok, whatever. Give me some solutions for the public education failure.

I blame Betsy DeVos

Fewer mandatory exams
A willingness to accept student improvement over meeting an arbitrary threshold
More vocational and life skills
Low cost higher education

Fewer mandatory exams
So lower the standards and cost. I agree with lower the cost. However, your unions aren't going to go along. What do we do about the unions?

Fewer mandatory exams
So lower the standards and cost. I agree with lower the cost. However, your unions aren't going to go along. What do we do about the unions?
Nothing wrong with unions

Otherwise we end up with Oklahoma or West Virginia

Fewer mandatory exams

Fewer mandatory exams = Diminished content for students to think critically about. You either know a thing, or you don't. It really is that simple.

A willingness to accept student improvement over meeting an arbitrary threshold = No standards for student development to be measured. "The student spelled cat correctly after weeks of extra attention. That's improvement. Student merits an "A".

More vocational and life skills = Agreed here. Those who are not disabled in some meaningful way and who cannot meet academic standards must meet vocational standards and develop a marketable skill so as to not burden the rest of us upon reaching adulthood.

Low cost higher education = Talk to the universities. It seems their product is vastly overpriced.

Fewer mandatory exams

Fewer mandatory exams = Diminished content for students to think critically about. You either know a thing, or you don't. It really is that simple.

A willingness to accept student improvement over meeting an arbitrary threshold = No standards for student development to be measured. "The student spelled cat correctly after weeks of extra attention. That's improvement. Student merits an "A".

More vocational and life skills = Agreed here. Those who are not disabled in some meaningful way and who cannot meet academic standards must meet vocational standards and develop a marketable skill so as to not burden the rest of us upon reaching adulthood.

Low cost higher education = Talk to the universities. It seems their product is vastly overpriced.
Funding tied to students passing a mandatory exam means schools will only teach to the exam. Students need life and employment skills not the ability to pass an irrelevant exam

Fewer mandatory exams

Funding tied to students passing a mandatory exam means schools will only teach to the exam. Students need life and employment skills not the ability to pass an irrelevant exam

Then the funding requirements are wrong. Change them. Don't stupefy the curriculum.

Fewer mandatory exams

That's where we disagree. Unions are a big part of the problem in my opinion. It's against the law in Washington state for teachers to walk out during the school year, yet they did it. When the laws are ignored, there's something wrong. Unions have nothing to do with education and actually hurt education in my opinion. It's not about the teacher, it's about educating the student. Unions are never satisfied. Raising taxes on families where both parents work 12 months a year to pay for a teacher working 9 months a year and making more money is what people are angry about.

Fewer mandatory exams

Exams are not irrelevant.

Fewer mandatory exams

... a teacher working 9 months a year and making more money ....

This is oft-repeated nonsense.

Fewer mandatory exams

... a teacher working 9 months a year and making more money ....

This is oft-repeated nonsense.
Why is it nonsense?

You won't get them until the Department of Education is dissolved and the teacher's unions broken.

I will ask you again, for I don't know how many times, what do teacher's unions have to do with your brain-dead offspring sucking at math and reading?

They increase the difficulty of removing dead wood from the staff, and generally support Progressive nonsense.

My largely homeschooled offspring has a PhD and three published books under his belt.

I had high school students who refuse, not just don't know, but refuse to learn their multiplication tables.

They should then be moved into vocational training. Not everyone can handle the academic path.
Fatcats Love Mice

Except for the richkids it was designed for, the "academic path" means working without pay and living like a young adult who is afraid to grow up. It has little to do with being intelligent enough to handle it. Americans really have to be dumbed-down to believe that getting a job by going four or more years without a job makes any sense.

Public education is bad, bad, bad, a danger to society....

Purge those communists teachers.... purge them....
Public Education has to be everything for everyone...it's the default position. You don't like it you have two choices: 1) get involved and help be the change...or 2) homeschool your kids or put them in the private school that fits your needs.

Instead we just get whiners.

I blame Betsy DeVos

Yes....all those posters who continue to put up this map:
upload_2018-5-2_7-52-14.png
forget that it is counties that make up the vast majority of the education direction for their schools.....County Offices of Education.

You won't get them until the Department of Education is dissolved and the teacher's unions broken.
If the Corpies Own a Man's Work, They Own That Man

You sneak in your parasite corporate Masters' fear of unions into something about educational methods, which teachers' unions have no control over.

If you're not a union man, you're not a man at all. You're a child, dependent on the will of GreedHead morons who can't make a profit without cheating you.
A union drone is no different from a company drone. I've worked with both, and the union thug can be treacherous and very nasty.
Self-Declared "Rugged Individualists" Get Run Ragged

Bragging Buttboys for the Bosses are authoritarian conformists who have a childish need to see their Scrooges as father figures. But a company is a team, not a one-man show.

Save your propaganda for your precious Plute parasite. It will rate you many brownie points.

If the Corpies Own a Man's Work, They Own That Man

You sneak in your parasite corporate Masters' fear of unions into something about educational methods, which teachers' unions have no control over.

If you're not a union man, you're not a man at all. You're a child, dependent on the will of GreedHead morons who can't make a profit without cheating you.
A union drone is no different from a company drone. I've worked with both, and the union thug can be treacherous and very nasty.
Self-Declared "Rugged Individualists" Get Run Ragged

Bragging Buttboys for the Bosses are authoritarian conforimists who have a childish need to see their Scrooges as father figures. But a company is a team, not a one-man show.

Save your propaganda for your precious Plute parasite. It will rate you many brownie points.
You don't know me. Therefore, you're the only one here putting someone into a preconceived box. Save it for naïve college kids.

Fewer mandatory exams

The Present Gulag Provides Neither Reward Nor Punishment

Divide the classes into teams. The highest-scoring team will get Friday off, the lowest-scoring one will have to come in on Saturday. Individual high-scorers from four grades older will get paid to teach the Saturday classes.

Forum List

Back