CDZ Proposed Constitutional Amendment

Barring lawyers from running for political office.

Discuss
Bar lawyers and politicians. The founders didn't intend for people to make a career out of politics. One term, two at most and go home.
Most of the bastards are lawyers now. They are experts at gaming the system and getting filthy rich in office.

Based on the same sort of prejudice that kept Blacks from equality. If such an amendment were enacted it would just be a matter of time before it is rescinded and the demands for reparations drown out all intelligent conversation.

Why would that policy need to be attached to the Constitution, since its concerned parties already abide?

Discuss
Bar lawyers and politicians. The founders didn't intend for people to make a career out of politics. One term, two at most and go home.
Most of the bastards are lawyers now. They are experts at gaming the system and getting filthy rich in office.

Your proposal is definitely more interesting.

Could you provide textual evidence for the founders intention as you claim them to be? From what I comprehend of professionalism, if successful one can choose to retire whenever they want.

Discuss
Sure, that's why we had to amend the constitution from how our founders intended so that our Presidents can not be President more than 2 terms.... :rolleyes: ;)

Near all of our founders were politicians for a lifetime.

I'm liking the idea more and more! Especially it it were expanded just a bit to prohibit anyone who ever posed as a "journalist" to hold office. A token gesture toward honesty in government, that.

Discuss
Sure, that's why we had to amend the constitution from how our founders intended so that our Presidents can not be President more than 2 terms.... :rolleyes: ;)

Were any of the founders a Representative or Senator?

Discuss

yes....but interestingly enough, I believe he became a senator AFTER he was President!!! Let me google it, to refresh my memory....

oh, and only 3 senators became presidents.

Discuss

Madison proposed amendments to the House.

Discuss

btw, I read this post wrongly....so let me google that for you, to find out...

but on my last post, it was John Q Adams that went on after his presidency to become a CONGRESSMAN, not a Senator,

EDIT:

ALSO just found this:

What president became a U.S. Senator after he left office?

The Answer:
That distinction goes to the country's 17th president, Andrew Johnson.

Johnson, who was a former representative, governor and senator from Tennessee, was successfully impeached in 1869 for attempting to remove his disloyal Secretary of War without approval from the U.S. Senate.

He returned to Tennessee and ran for the U.S. Senate again in 1870 and 1872, failing both times. However, in 1874 he became the first and only president to win a Senate seat after serving as President of the United States. He took his seat on March 5, 1875.

Unfortunately, Johnson suffered a stroke and died four months later.

Discuss

btw, I read this post wrongly....so let me google that for you, to find out...

but on my last post, it was John Q Adams that went on after his presidency to become a CONGRESSMAN, not a Senator,
Senators are congressmen.

And the last president from the founding era was James Monroe.

Discuss

Jefferson was a life long politician AND A Lawyer... not a Senator or Representative, but heavily involved in politics his whole life...

Name
Thomas Jefferson
Occupation
U.S. Vice President, U.S. Governor, Government Official, Diplomat, U.S. President

http://www.biography.com/people/thomas-jefferson-9353715

For the record, I could live with the alternate solution of term limits.

But I don't think there is much doubt that lawyers have fucked this country up. And I don't mean the average run of the mill trying cases in court lawyer. I mean the lawyers who think that just by virtue of being a lawyer they think they know what is best for the rest of us small people.

But I don't think there is much doubt that lawyers have fucked this country up. And I don't mean the average run of the mill trying cases in court lawyer. I mean the lawyers who think that just by virtue of being a lawyer they think they know what is best for the rest of us small people.
I am, and have been for some time, in favor of this. Unfortunately, it is doubtful it will ever happen, as it would limit the power of those who would pass it in congress. The powerful rarely limit their own power.

I am, and have been for some time, in favor of this. Unfortunately, it is doubtful it will ever happen, as it would limit the power of those who would pass it in congress. The powerful rarely limit their own power.

True, BUT an Amendment could of course be passed without going through Congress. The issue there of course is we simply have too many stupid people voting in this country.

Let's just cut the bullshit. the fact of the matter is, that's our real problem. We have some of the dumbest people on the planet living in this country, and they vote, and that is how we end up with terrible politician after terrible politician on BOTH sides.

Forum List

Back