Prop 8 Showdown

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rightwinger, Jun 19, 2010.

1. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,490
    Who will win California's Prop. 8 trial? - The Week

The debate over same-sex marriage took a significant step forward this week, with the completion of closing arguments in the San Francisco trial over the constitutionality of Proposition 8, the statewide ban on gay marriage Californians approved in 2008.

Judge Walker will almost certainly overturn Prop. 8: This trial is a lock in favor of gay marriage, says Andrew Cohen at Politics Daily. The defenders of Prop. 8 presented a shockingly "odd" and "weak case," with "hapless" witnesses and precious little evidence. The proponents, meanwhile, offered up 17 witnesses and a strong factual record. If "evidence matters to" Judge Walker, he has "virtually no other choice" but to strike down Prop. 8.

If Prop. 8 loses it's because the judge is biased: The "openly homosexual" Judge Walker "came into this courtroom strongly inclined to rule against Prop. 8," says Maggie Gallagher, president of the National Organization for Marriage, quoted at LifeSiteNews.com. He was "extremely open" to the anti-Prop. 8 case, and seemed baffled by our side's argument that procreation is what marriage is all about. Walker probably "will overturn Prop. 8" — not because of the arguments in the courtroom, but because of his own bias.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  2. bigrebnc1775

bigrebnc1775 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    I could careless what happens in Cailfornia this is a state issue. But what bugs the shit out of me is when the activist from Cailifornia will push this issue on my state.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,541
    Hopefully Prop 8 will be struck down. Then the US can join other civilized nations in allowing marriage between same sex couples.

4. B. Kidd

B. Kidd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,907
    Does anyone really think that when California goes broke, when police and fire services break down, when tent cities really multiply with the homeless and hungry, that anyone will give a shit about Prop. 8; no less care about whether anyone is gay or not?

Until then, be my guest and carry on with a debate over Prop. 8.

5. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    You have some sort of problem with democracy?

Proposition 8 was voted on by the citizens of California, and you think one man can tell them all that they don't have a right to a vote because you disagree with the result. Would you be as comfortable with it if a vote had been held and SSM approved and someone took it to court to overturn it?

6. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,678
    So, according to Maggie Gallagher's own words, they'll be working next to eliminate the right to marry for anyone who will not or cannot procreate? Or is that just another lie?

7. B. Kidd

B. Kidd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,907
    B. Kidd: "I haven't eaten in a week. I'm ready to fall the fuk down. Can you spare an extra can of 'Beefaroni' ?

Disheveled Drag Queen: "I think so. Sure."

B. Kidd: "Wait. I noticed that you have hair on your chest and you're wearing a dirty dress. Are you gay or sumthin' ?"

Disheveled Drag Queen: "Yeah, so what?"

B. Kidd: "You know where you can shove that 'Beefaroni'. You're the reason I'm starvin' in the first place".

8. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,678
    We have a Republic with a Constitution protecting the rights of the minority from the tyranny of the majority. If we had a vote tomorrow about whether to prevent Muslims from building their houses of worship in the U.S....would it be ok if the majority forbid them from doing so?

9. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,007
    If "civil rights" were put up to a vote, many people in certain parts of this country will still wear "price tags".

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-f...-conservative-exceptionalism.html#post2425152

Beside, I can name dozens of contributions to the US from the gays, but from the "conservatives"? The only contributions I can name are not really positives. Iraq, letting Bin Laden go, the Katrina clean up, Confederate day, the rape of education, Bush, mine safety deregulation, oil drilling deregulation, the economy. Oh, they do breed. So, I guess, "cannon fodder" is a "plus".

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  10. captaingeech

captaingeech Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I really see no reason why not to let people marry someone of their same sex. I'm interested in hearing the reasons why people are against it.