Professor threatens students for use of the wrong words

well maybe next they'll start burning books they find Offensive.

where have we seen that done before. ? and then after that they can start jailing dissenters for speaking "WORDS" or speak ill WORDS about your masters in University, Government, etc: like they do in Iran, China, Cuba, etc.

the drip drip drip of LOSING YOUR FREEDOMS is dripping mighty fast anymore

just STAND by and say nothing
I very much doubt that book-burning actually bothers you...
church-burning-koran-d8f8dd57fb12720e_large.jpg

Washington State University's "Introduction to Comparative Ethnic Studies" joins UCLA and UC Berkeley in banning certain offensive terms.

Why would anyone want to offend the largest minority (about 25 million eligible voters) group in the country?

According to a report from Campus Reform, one Washington State University professor said she will dock points from students who use the terms “illegal alien” or “illegals” in written assignments.

Rebecca Fowler is a member of the critical culture, gender & race studies department at WSU, where she is also a PhD candidate in American Studies.

<snip>

According to the course syllabus for her fall 2015 Introduction to Comparative Ethnic Studies, the phrases are unacceptable for use in her classroom.

Per the syllabus:
Not “illegal alien” or “illegals” but “undocumented” migrants/immigrants/persons. Note that the Associated Press (AP) has determined not to use it: ‘The Stylebook no longer sanctions the term “illegal immigrant” or the use of “illegal” to describe a person. Instead, it tells users that “illegal” should describe only an action, such as living in or immigrating to a country illegally.’

She told Campus Reform that “the term ‘illegal alien’ has permeated dominant discourses that circulate in the news to the extent that our society has come to associate ALL unauthorized border crossings with those immigrants originating from countries south of our border.”

The phrases are not the only ones Fowler tells her students to avoid—also on the list are “colored” and “the white man,” (opt instead, she writes, for “white society,” “white men,” or “white males.”) Students who use these phrase in written assignments will lose one grade point per use.

Rather PC but it's her class so follow her rules. I hate PC BTW...

when I was in college ----the only reason I attended classes was to find out what the PROF WANTED------other than that ----I just read the textbook
And if you want the grade you give them what they want. A good lesson to learn - He holds the gold makes the rules...

Washington State University's "Introduction to Comparative Ethnic Studies" joins UCLA and UC Berkeley in banning certain offensive terms.

Why would anyone want to offend the largest minority (about 25 million eligible voters) group in the country?

According to a report from Campus Reform, one Washington State University professor said she will dock points from students who use the terms “illegal alien” or “illegals” in written assignments.

Rebecca Fowler is a member of the critical culture, gender & race studies department at WSU, where she is also a PhD candidate in American Studies.

<snip>

According to the course syllabus for her fall 2015 Introduction to Comparative Ethnic Studies, the phrases are unacceptable for use in her classroom.

Per the syllabus:
Not “illegal alien” or “illegals” but “undocumented” migrants/immigrants/persons. Note that the Associated Press (AP) has determined not to use it: ‘The Stylebook no longer sanctions the term “illegal immigrant” or the use of “illegal” to describe a person. Instead, it tells users that “illegal” should describe only an action, such as living in or immigrating to a country illegally.’

She told Campus Reform that “the term ‘illegal alien’ has permeated dominant discourses that circulate in the news to the extent that our society has come to associate ALL unauthorized border crossings with those immigrants originating from countries south of our border.”

The phrases are not the only ones Fowler tells her students to avoid—also on the list are “colored” and “the white man,” (opt instead, she writes, for “white society,” “white men,” or “white males.”) Students who use these phrase in written assignments will lose one grade point per use.

when I was in college ----the only reason I attended classes was to find out what the PROF WANTED------other than that ----I just read the textbook
Me too...

well maybe next they'll start burning books they find Offensive.

where have we seen that done before. ? and then after that they can start jailing dissenters for speaking "WORDS" or speak ill WORDS about your masters in University, Government, etc: like they do in Iran, China, Cuba, etc.

just STAND by and say nothing that will BE NEXT

I think most of these jackasses do this stuff for attention.

Nope, these people have come out of the Fascist/communist closest since Obama was elected. they see how he's been allowed to FORCE us to purchase his insurance scam OR get fined, which is nothing more but Fascism in my book , ignore our laws, make up ones they want. and now they just had the Supreme court overstepped their bounds with making up how THE STATES have to allow homosexual marriage, etc. We need to take these people SERIOUSLY.
I think we are pretty much history as a free people and country.

Relate the OP's selection with the entire syllabus.

Have to use sensible language in a sensitive class subject.

Makes sense. Those who don't like it get to not like it. Don't enroll in the class.
Except for the fact that the LISTED words are NOT offensive.

You don't get to determine what is or is not offensive to other people.
you don't have the right to be offended

Everyone has the right to be offended, and no one has complete control over what offends them.

This whole thread is nothing more than an exercise in outrage and offense over what this teacher has said.

OK, let's put it another way. I have the right to disregard your outrage

no kidding.

2015 Washington State University syllabus, from page 4, my bolds:

Gross generalizations, stereotypes, and derogatory/oppressive language are not acceptable. Use of racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic, classist, or generally offensive language in class or submission of such material will not be tolerated. (This includes “The Man,” “Colored People,”“Illegals/Illegal Aliens,”“Tranny” and so on or referring to women/men as females or males) If I see it or hear it, I will correct it in class since it can be a learning moment for many students. Repeated use of oppressive and hateful language will be handled accordingly - including but not limited to removal from the class without attendance or participation points, failure of the assignment, and - in extreme cases - failure for the semester.

https://ccgrs.wsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/48/2015/08/20153_Breikss.pdf

Watch what you say, or you will pay. America, 2015.

If I were a paying parent, I would sue the snot out of the guy and the school at the first twitch.

Gross generalizations, stereotypes, and derogatory/oppressive language are not acceptable. Use of racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic, classist, or generally offensive language in class or submission of such material will not be tolerated. (This includes “The Man,” “Colored People,”“Illegals/Illegal Aliens,”“Tranny” and so on or referring to women/men as females or males) If I see it or hear it, I will correct it in class since it can be a learning moment for many students. Repeated use of oppressive and hateful language will be handled accordingly - including but not limited to removal from the class without attendance or participation points, failure of the assignment, and - in extreme cases - failure for the semester.

If I were a paying parent, I would sue the snot out of the guy and the school at the first twitch.

:lol:

What exactly would you sue over?

<snip>

Per the syllabus:

And if you want the grade you give them what they want. A good lesson to learn - He holds the gold makes the rules...

right, paint------I learned the information from the book ----in order to answer the test questions------and HOW to answer them from the prof.

Hell, if I were one of his students, I would turn in a paper going on about the queer, illegal alien tree-dwelling monkeys just have grounds for a lawsuit against his ignorant cross-dressing white-trash ass.

Hell, if I were one of his students, I would turn in a paper going on about the queer, illegal alien tree-dwelling monkeys just have grounds for a lawsuit against his ignorant cross-dressing white-trash ass.

The professor is a she.

What grounds for a lawsuit do you expext will come from turning in a failing paper?

The professor is a she.

What grounds for a lawsuit do you expext will come from turning in a failing paper?

bubble-buster!!! do not interrupt a pleasant delusion

The professor is a she.

Violating my freedom of speech....

If a college can allow students to offend me (and countless others) by burning our Flag, or denigrating my race, time about is fair play. A grade in a class is about knowledge of subject matter, not how well you can be brainwashed by some Liberal twit.

The professor is a she.

If a college can allow students to offend me (and countless others) by burning our Flag, or denigrating my race, time about is fair play. A grade in a class is about knowledge of subject matter, not how well you can be brainwashed by some Liberal twit.

I got the impression----that the class was kinda devoted to
a "sensitive" approach to various groups-----like it is a particular OBJECTIVE of that particular class. You don't take a class on Freudian theory and decide on the test to write------
FREUD's theories of "id" are idiotic

The professor is a she.

Good luck with that lawsuit. I'd love to be there to watch the judge laugh you out of the courtroom.

What do you think the "subject matter" of a Gender, Race and Sexuality class is?

Obiwan, let me pose a hypothetical for you.

If you were to take a comparitive religion class, and wrote a paper claiming that all the other religions were blasphemous because Jesus said so, do you think you'd pass?

Do you think failing that class would somehow violate your rights?

What exactly would you sue over?

Wasting tuition on useless politically-correct nonsense instead of imparting the hard knowledge I'm paying for.

Forum List

Back