Professor threatens students for use of the wrong words

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
2015 Washington State University syllabus, from page 4, my bolds:

Gross generalizations, stereotypes, and derogatory/oppressive language are not acceptable. Use of racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic, classist, or generally offensive language in class or submission of such material will not be tolerated. (This includes “The Man,” “Colored People,”“Illegals/Illegal Aliens,”“Tranny” and so on or referring to women/men as females or males) If I see it or hear it, I will correct it in class since it can be a learning moment for many students. Repeated use of oppressive and hateful language will be handled accordingly - including but not limited to removal from the class without attendance or participation points, failure of the assignment, and - in extreme cases - failure for the semester.

https://ccgrs.wsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/48/2015/08/20153_Breikss.pdf

Watch what you say, or you will pay. America, 2015.

I'm pretty sure I do not regret skipping college.
Depends on when you went.

When I went to college in the late 70's, the campus was a stimulating, free-thinking, tolerant place. We were encouraged to challenge our own beliefs with the same passion that we challenged those of other people. We wanted to hear everyone's viewpoint. And this was in California, mind you.

Now, it's just the opposite. I don't know when this happened exactly, but it really is a shame. College should be a bastion of curiosity, debate and ideas, not this.

images

Speaking, reading, and writing will soon be banned in our educational facilities with the geometrically growing list of words that may not be used... They're still working on how ta' ban 'rithmatic.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

2015 Washington State University syllabus, from page 4, my bolds:

Gross generalizations, stereotypes, and derogatory/oppressive language are not acceptable. Use of racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic, classist, or generally offensive language in class or submission of such material will not be tolerated. (This includes “The Man,” “Colored People,”“Illegals/Illegal Aliens,”“Tranny” and so on or referring to women/men as females or males) If I see it or hear it, I will correct it in class since it can be a learning moment for many students. Repeated use of oppressive and hateful language will be handled accordingly - including but not limited to removal from the class without attendance or participation points, failure of the assignment, and - in extreme cases - failure for the semester.

https://ccgrs.wsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/48/2015/08/20153_Breikss.pdf

Watch what you say, or you will pay. America, 2015.
Nonsense.

Americans are at liberty to say anything they wish, to exhibit their ignorance and hate, their racism and stupidity, their bigotry and nativism absent punitive measures by the state; indeed, hate speech is entitled to Constitutional protections, immune from attack by the state. (R.A.V. v. City of St. Paul)

Consequently, no one will 'pay' for what he says, no 'arrest,' no 'trial,' no 'conviction,' the notion is ignorant idiocy – a product of the myth of 'political correctness,' and those frightened of unfettered debate in a free and democratic society.

images

Speaking and writing will soon be banned in our educational facilities... They're still working on how ta' ban 'rithmatic.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

I thought parts of it already were.
I saw some of the *crap* my daughter got while she was "finding herself" through higher edeecation. I'm glad she was able to get them there student loans to be subjected like that cause it would have really pissed me off had that been our money she wasted.

More of the Syllabus to put the OP into focus.

Course Description
This class will look the intersections of race, class, gender, and sexuality in film and media, and the social, political, economic, and cultural practices impact of these mediums. We will explore some of the complexities of these identities through the course texts, selected articles, group discussions, lectures, and film with attention to media and popular culture.

Using classic and contemporary films, as well as sample content from television and the internet, we will explore the boundaries, stipulations, and expectations which shape cultural expectations of sex, gender identity and expression, sexuality, and sexual orientation.

Learning Outcomes By the end of this semester, you should have the skills to:  Understand core concepts of: race, class, gender, sex, gender identity, sexuality, and sexual orientation in relation to social, political, economic, and cultural norms and practices.

 Have the ability to recognize these concepts in film, media, television, and online and identify the complications of these representations.

 Identify areas of systemic and institutionalized racism, prejudice, misogyny, classism, sexism, and discriminatory practices in the casting, production, distribution, and reception of various media samples, and make connections to your personal experiences.

 Recognize the intersectionality of race, class, ethnicity, sex, gender, sexual orientation, and ability in actors, their roles, and their on- & off-screen personas.

 Participate in discussions in a thoughtful and academic manner, with understanding of critical race theory, feminist, anti-racist, and allied social discourse.

 Engage in discussion surrounding contemporary political movements and trends in popular culture and social discourse which contribute to the systemic issues discussed in class.

 Distinguish and dismantle stereotypes, archetypes, assumptions, clichés, and widespread beliefs surrounding race, class, sexuality, gender, and identity.

Last edited:
"Context" is what happened when I posted the rest of the Syllabus.

You want to distort what is happening in the course.

That's not honest, but, yes, you are you, so we are not surprised.

"Context" is what happened when I posted the rest of the Syllabus.

You want to distort what is happening in the course.

That's not honest, but, yes, you are you, so we are not surprised.
I quoted directly from the syllabus. What you posted, in your effort to deflect, did not mitigate my point.

I realize that, as a member of the PC Police, you want to change the subject. That's fine, but it doesn't work with me.

You're not honest, but yes, you are you, so we are not surprised.

Last edited:

Course Description
This class will look the intersections of race, class, gender, and sexuality in film and media, and the social, political, economic, and cultural practices impact of these mediums. We will explore some of the complexities of these identities through the course texts, selected articles, group discussions, lectures, and film with attention to media and popular culture.

Using classic and contemporary films, as well as sample content from television and the internet, we will explore the boundaries, stipulations, and expectations which shape cultural expectations of sex, gender identity and expression, sexuality, and sexual orientation.

Learning Outcomes By the end of this semester, you should have the skills to:  Understand core concepts of: race, class, gender, sex, gender identity, sexuality, and sexual orientation in relation to social, political, economic, and cultural norms and practices.

 Have the ability to recognize these concepts in film, media, television, and online and identify the complications of these representations.

 Identify areas of systemic and institutionalized racism, prejudice, misogyny, classism, sexism, and discriminatory practices in the casting, production, distribution, and reception of various media samples, and make connections to your personal experiences.

 Recognize the intersectionality of race, class, ethnicity, sex, gender, sexual orientation, and ability in actors, their roles, and their on- & off-screen personas.

 Participate in discussions in a thoughtful and academic manner, with understanding of critical race theory, feminist, anti-racist, and allied social discourse.

 Engage in discussion surrounding contemporary political movements and trends in popular culture and social discourse which contribute to the systemic issues discussed in class.

 Distinguish and dismantle stereotypes, archetypes, assumptions, clichés, and widespread beliefs surrounding race, class, sexuality, gender, and identity.
That's fine but what does that have to do with the reality that a professor is attempting to reclassify non offensive (except to a very tiny minority) common words, phrases, usage as offensive and doing so by treats of academic punishment.
My response would be Da Tovaritch or Da Camraden, my next response would be to advise the Dean and demand it be changed, if that failed it would be the Board advising them of the possibility of a violation of civil liberties lawsuit.

Course Description

That's fine but what does that have to do with the reality that a professor is attempting to reclassify non offensive (except to a very tiny minority) common words, phrases, usage as offensive and doing so by treats of academic punishment.
My response would be Da Tovaritch or Da Camraden, my next response would be to advise the Dean and demand it be changed, if that failed it would be the Board advising them of the possibility of a violation of civil liberties lawsuit.
He's just trying to defend and deflect for the PC that is consuming our colleges. He's all for it and doesn't like seeing it challenged.

Interesting idea about the civil liberties lawsuit.

Relate the OP's selection with the entire syllabus.

Have to use sensible language in a sensitive class subject.

Makes sense. Those who don't like it get to not like it. Don't enroll in the class.

Course Description

He's just trying to defend and deflect for the PC that is consuming our colleges. He's all for it and doesn't like seeing it challenged.

Interesting idea about the civil liberties lawsuit.
I actually did that eons ago in a college Speech class where the professor started politically proselytizing. Didn't matter that I agreed with the professor at the time I didn't pay to take a Speech class to listen to the professors political views. I was not very well liked by her and a few other professors after that considering the Board was more worried about the negative publicity such a lawsuit would bring.........

Even the hardcore leftwingers at The Nation admit it:

It’s increasingly clear that we are entering a new era of political correctness. Recently, we’ve seen the calls to #CancelColbert because of something outrageous said by Stephen Colbert’s blowhard alter ego, who has been saying outrageous things regularly for nine years. Then there’s the sudden demand for “trigger warnings” on college syllabi, meant to protect students from encountering ideas or images that may traumatize them; an Oberlin faculty document even suggests jettisoning “triggering material when it does not contribute directly to the course learning goals.” At Wellesley, students have petitioned to have an outdoor statue of a lifelike sleepwalking man removed because it was causing them “undue stress.” As I wrote in The Nation, there’s pressure in some circles not to use the word “vagina” in connection with reproductive rights, lest it offend trans people.

#CancelColbert and the Return of the Anti-Liberal Left

The Left has become terribly illiberal, and even some honest lefties are admitting it:

Relate the OP's selection with the entire syllabus.

Have to use sensible language in a sensitive class subject.

Makes sense. Those who don't like it get to not like it. Don't enroll in the class.
Since when are those phrases not sensible except to an extremely small minority of people? :dunno:

:lol: Ringel, is your belief part of your "self-evident proof"? It is sensible to discuss sensitive topics in a way that allows all sides to present their points without fear of vicious attack. If one cannot disagree in normal discourse, one does not have a point worth positing

:lol: Ringel, is your belief part of your "self-evident proof"? It is sensible to discuss sensitive topics in a way that allows all sides to present their points without fear of vicious attack. If one cannot disagree in normal discourse, one does not have a point worth positing
That doesn't make sense in the context of the fact that the words in question are not offensive except to a very small minority. Are you saying we should let extremely small minorities dictate to the whole what is offensive and what isn't? Thought that's what the anti-religious in this country have been fighting for generations.

Course Description

. . . . and yet, the course probably won't teach what Cultural Marxism is, will they?

That shit has even infiltrated Wikipedia. Even they are Cultural Marxists. They want to attribute such a things to a "conspiracy theory," where it was once an established scholarly fact.

The old web page;
Cultural Marxism
Cultural Marxism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to:
navigation, search

Cultural Marxism refers to a school or offshoot of Marxism that conceives of culture as central to the legitimation of oppression, in addition to the economic factors that Karl Marx emphasized.[1] An outgrowth of Western Marxism (especially from Antonio Gramsci and the Frankfurt School) and finding popularity in the 1960s as cultural studies, cultural Marxism argues that what appear as traditional cultural phenomena intrinsic to Western society, for instance the drive for individual acquisition associated with capitalism, nationalism, the nuclear family, gender roles, race and other forms of cultural identity;[1] are historically recent developments that help to justify and maintain hierarchy. Cultural Marxists use Marxist methods (historical research, the identification of economic interest, the study of the mutually conditioning relations between parts of a social order) to try to understand the complexity of power in contemporary society and to make it possible to criticize what, cultural Marxists propose, appears natural but is in fact ideological.

The new web page.

Cultural Marxism conspiracy theory
Frankfurt School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A 21st-century conspiracy theory regards the Frankfurt School as the origin of a contemporary movement in the political left to subvert traditional western cultural norms, referred to as "Cultural Marxism" by theory proponents. It advocates the idea that multiculturalism and political correctness are products of critical theory, which originated with the Frankfurt School. The theory is associated with American conservative thinkers such as William Lind, Pat Buchanan and Paul Weyrich, and has received institutional support from the Free Congress Foundation.[51][52][53][54]

Although it became more widespread in the late 1990s and 2000s, the theory originated with Michael Minnicino's 1992 essay "New Dark Age: Frankfurt School and 'Political Correctness'", published in Fidelio by the Schiller Institute.[55][56][57] The Schiller Institute, a branch of the LaRouche movement, further promoted the idea in 1994.[58] The Minnicino article charges that the Frankfurt School promoted Modernism in the arts as a form of Cultural pessimism, and played a role in shaping the 1960s counterculture.[55] In 1999 Lind led the creation of an hour-long program, Political Correctness: The Frankfurt School.[56] The documentary

That's right. Among the thought police and the cultural PC police, all of this is now just in our imaginations, it is not going on, and Cultural Marxism is nothing but a fantasy, it's now a "conspiracy theory." How Orwellian is that? They have even re-written history! :badgrin:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back