Prof SOWELL on BWARNEY FWANK

A little knowledge is a ridiculous thing.

Learning your economics from the A.M. radio - complete with buzzwords - is a dangerous thing. It makes you spout, for instance, about things you know nothing about.

Which is why you spout about Schumpeter without realizing that Schumpeter described an evolution into corporatism (which has shown to be a pretty good prediction).

Learning your economics from the A.M. radio - complete with buzzwords - is a dangerous thing. It makes you spout, for instance, about things you know nothing about.

Which is why you spout about Schumpeter without realizing that Schumpeter described an evolution into corporatism (which has shown to be a pretty good prediction).

Yawn.....

no. sowell is a partisan hack.

that's fact. :thup:

Partisan hack=doesn't suck Obama's dick.

At least no one will accuse you of not being a partisan hack!

No, partisan hack = "Barney Frank is the man most responsible for the Financial Crisis," which is what Sowell said. This is a narrative that only pings around the right wing echo chamber. It is not a serious comment.

Which misread part of Sowell's excellent article do you find objectionable? The fact is that mortgage criteria were continuously watered down through that period because repackaging the loans into MBS's was immensely profitable. Once you run out of qualified buyers, however, you can only expand the market by loosening criteria. Which is what was done. Bad loans generally take 18 months before they go bad.

Frank continuously pushed for more "affordable loan" programs for his own political agenda. Where he should have been overseeing Fannie's regulator he was beating up on the regulator. He was joined in this by Chris Dodd. The fact that no politicians have gone to jail over the mortgage scandal is testament to the duplicity of the press with the Democratic party.

What do I find objectionable? That it is overwhelmingly false, and all the empirical evidence is against it. He doesn't back up his argument with a single piece of evidence. He just says "I believe this." Well, so what? Believing in fairies doesn't make them real.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/70006-cra-not-to-blame-for-housing-debacle.html

Like I said, if you can find a shred of empirical evidence to back up the claim, please post it. I'm more than happy to change my mind. But opinions and timelines aren't evidence.

ToroSHIT,

Read AquaAthena's excerpts (from Sowell's article, supplied by me):

"I believe there has been more alarm raised about potential unsafty and unsoundness [of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac than, in fact, exists."--Barney Frank---September 25th, 2003

The more people, in my judgment, exaggerate a threat of safety and soundness, the more people conjure up the possibility of serious financial losses to the Treasury, which I do NOT see.: --Barney Frank---September 10th, 2003

:"I want to roll the dice a little bit more in this situation towards subsidized housing."--Barney Frank---September 25th, 2003[/b]"

ToroSHIT, Now read your fucking puke:

"Sowell is a partisan hack. This has been refuted with data several times but the ideological shills keep repeating the same lies over and over.

If anyone can back up Sowell's argument with empirical data, please post it. But I haven't seen a single thing yet to back this up.
"

Are you AWARE of, or, do you even UNDERSTAND how hollow your Obamarrhoidal LIERbturd LIEBERRHOID ToroSHIT sounds ????

What the fuck is their even any necessity for your phoney "empirical data" which is invariably SUBSEQUENTLY given as an ARSE-COVERING obfuscation, and distortion a la vintage Bwarney-Farney Fwanky-Wanky OUTRIGHT LIES "explaining" thisa and thata of the above away when the INCRIMINATING PUKE ISSUING FROM THE QUEER CLOWN'S VERY OWN ORIFICE CONDEMNS HIM/IT ??????

Is the venerable Prof Sowell of Stanford Univ with an established scholarly reputation a political hack ??????.......Or, is it you, you phoney Obamarrhoidal LIEBturd La Raza wetback pissant ?????[/QUOTE]

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Meltdown.:lol::lol::lol:

Where is the evidence that CRA loans and subsequent forclosers on them caused any part of the housing meltdown and economic colaspe?

no. sowell is a partisan hack.

that's fact. :thup:

No, partisan hack = "Barney Frank is the man most responsible for the Financial Crisis," which is what Sowell said. This is a narrative that only pings around the right wing echo chamber. It is not a serious comment.

Well he makes a pretty good case for it. Do you have a better candidate? Do you have some information to refute anything he writes?

Well he makes a pretty good case for it. Do you have a better candidate? Do you have some information to refute anything he writes?

In the article that is put up..I see no specifics. One make make accusations and that have like minded indivduals pat him on the back about it..but it doesn't make a good argument.

What exactly needs refuting?

Barney Frank caused this mess?

No he didn't.

And using Sowell's criteria..that's good enough.

it is pretty funny, isn't it?

when rush or beck tell them something, it makes them think they actually have some knowledge. :cuckoo:

when rush or beck tell them something, it makes them think they actually have some knowledge. :cuckoo:

Have you quit smoking Alex's wiener?

Yeah, Alan Greenspan.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/70006-cra-not-to-blame-for-housing-debacle.html

Yeah, Alan Greenspan.

I would agree except for three things:
1) Greenspan wasn't elected, so he is not as accountable as Frank, who is.
2) Greenspan wasn't told directly that his policies were leading to problems, Frank was.
3) The problems started with mortgages and MBS, which Frank was in a position to affect direct, while Greenspan was not.
But your point is taken.

2) Greenspan wasn't told directly that his policies were leading to problems, Frank was.
3) The problems started with mortgages and MBS, which Frank was in a position to affect direct, while Greenspan was not.
But your point is taken.

Gosh..do you seriously understand derivatives and credit swaps? Don't feel bad if you don't, lots of people don't understand them. It still confuses the heck out of me. But the CRA didn't cause the economic mess we are in today.

It's easy to point to the poor and say...THEY DID IT!

But that simply isn't true.

But your point is taken.

Gosh..do you seriously understand derivatives and credit swaps? Don't feel bad if you don't, lots of people don't understand them. It still confuses the heck out of me. But the CRA didn't cause the economic mess we are in today.

The CRA was only contributory. But Fannie/Freddie were the major buyers and conduits for mortgages. They were overseen by the gov't, and specifically the House committee that Barney Frank sat on.

I love Sowell..........but really, who cares?? All the assholes on this thread with the dumbass question?........"prove CRA caused the housing meltdown!!!!!"

How about..........prove it didnt cause it assholes...............

Bottom line? Round two of the mortgage meltdown is gonna hit in the next 18 months and George Bush will be kicking back in Crawford chowing down steaks!!!! And nobody will care............but it'll be another kick in the balls for Obama as the economy hits the crapper round #2!!!!

But your point is taken.

The CRA was only contributory. But Fannie/Freddie were the major buyers and conduits for mortgages. They were overseen by the gov't, and specifically the House committee that Barney Frank sat on.

They were also essentially forced by congress to underwrite loans made by brand new spanking agents of the financials. Those were the guys misrepresenting what they did and going for volume. And they weren't under any obligation to do any due diligence. There was plenty of predatory lending going on..and no oversight.

And really..what did you expect Mr. Frank to do? Sit down and go over every loan? That really isn't his job.

I love Sowell..........but really, who cares?? All the assholes on this thread with the dumbass question?........"prove CRA caused the housing meltdown!!!!!"

Bottom line? Round two of the mortgage meltdown is gonna hit in the next 18 months and George Bush will be kicking back in Crawford chowing down steaks!!!! And nobody will care............but it'll be another kick in the balls for Obama as the economy hits the crapper round #2!!!!

This is probably the same sort of attitude that was like "Well this guy got caught for DWI, ran several oil companies into the ground, used a dubious stock deal to fund a really dubious stadium deal that made him a pant load of cash..heck..that's good Presidential Material right there!"

Done

If you believe in the efficacy of markets - and most conservatives I know do - it simply isn't possible that the CRA caused the housing bubble.

41kTV3Fcx9L__BO2204203200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-clickTopRight35-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

All you need to know about the housing disaster and its causes is right here..........beyond sobering I might add!!! Boatloads of statistics to back up the assertions too..............
Once you read it, all doubts will be removed.....unless you are a mental case. Truth be told........politically, it was a stroke of genius by liberals.........a permanent game changer for the black vote. Fcukking brilliant...........

It is just plain bald faced fact that millions of Americans paid a song for a downpayment on a house they knew damn fcukking well they couldnt afford. And of course the banks played ball.......or be accussed by the Barney Franks of the world for being racist lending institutions. Fannie/Freddie is the greatest fraud ever perpetuated upon the American people...........

Federal bank regulators began using the 1977 Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) to press for racial equality. The issue was the statistical difference in approval rates, not a claim that most blacks could not get mortgage loans. New regulations required that the banks not just look for qualified buyers, but make a requisite number of loans to low and moderate income buyers (quotas). Then, when legislation was proposed in 1999 to permit banks to diversify into selling investment securities, the Clinton White House urged "banks given unsatisfactory ratings under the CRA be prohibited from enjoying the new diversification privileges." The Congress happily obliged. Another factor was HUD's beginning legal action in 1993 against mortgage bankers that declined a higher percentage of minority applicants. HUD also set a 42% target for Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae (FM & FM) to buy mortgages for people whose income were less than an area's median. Banks, sensing that FM & FM were implicitly guaranteed, where only too happy to not only issue these mortgages, but to buy FM & FM debt as well.

Meanwhile, when I purchased my first home, the bank damn near came into my bedroom to check under my pillow for credit verification..........vs people who just signed on the dotted line and were in their house almost the next day!! Are you fcukking kidding me............OF COURSE CRA directly facilitated the housing collapse. Only the hopelessly duped think otherwise:funnyface:

Last edited:

Jilllian's self-acknowledged dreamboy is the Chicago 7 (or 6....depending how one parses the facts) Terrorist Jerry Rubin with whom Jillian claims she was "involved".

BTW, Jerry Rubin proclaimed that Charlie Manson was his idol (you can verify that on Wikipedia, or google).

Now, Jillian is a flagrant Obamarrhoidal LIEbturd hack....don't know how she is "involved" with Obambo's arseholes.....but we do know that Obami Salaami was "involved" with the OTHER COMMIE/Terrorist, his pal Bill Avery..... from whose house Obambi lauched his Senatorial career.

These Obamarrhoids.....wonderful people aren't they ???

Birds of a feather fock together.

Jilllian's self-acknowledged dreamboy is the Chicago 7 (or 6....depending how one parses the facts) Terrorist Jerry Rubin with whom Jillian claims she was "involved".

BTW, Jerry Rubin proclaimed that Charlie Manson was his idol (you can verify that on Wikipedia, or google).

Now, Jillian is a flagrant Obamarrhoidal LIEbturd hack....don't know how she is "involved" with Obambo's arseholes.....but we do know that Obami Salaami was "involved" with the OTHER COMMIE/Terrorist, his pal Bill Avery..... from whose house Obambi lauched his Senatorial career.

These Obamarrhoids.....wonderful people aren't they ???

Birds of a feather fock together.

Yeah, what he said. And that goes DOUBLE for me!

Forum List

Back