Probes to alpha Centauri

Your Google search habits are none of my concern.
I'm excited for mankind. Do you really not care about the human race in 100 or 1000 years? I do.

I don't believe the human race will be progressing very much within the next 100 years. All of the indicators point to moral decay which strips the elements that make such achievements possible.
Carl sagen Neil degrass Tyson kestler and Stephen Hawking will continue despite your pessimistic attitude.

Neil Degrass is a nobody whose only claim to fame is that he is black astrophysics. If he weren't black no one would know his name as his contributions to cosmology and astrophysics are nominal at best. The hope for him was that he would inspire other blacks to get into the sciences. A great goal no doubt, but lets not get confused as to why he is famous. He's famous because they gave him a bunch of TV spots because of his skin color, not his contributions to astrophysics.

But I agree they will continue. The question is whether we will still have the political and cultural environment in the future that promotes progress. I'm betting we will not.
I disagree, he's a very personable "ambassador" who does a very good job sharing with the masses. Kinda picked up after Sagan died,although I think Tyson is more easy to relate to.

Indeed, I agree. But that's all he is. And he was appointed to his "ambassadorship" because of his skin color, not his accomplishments in astrophysics. You will see no major gains in cosmology and astrophysics as a result of his direct research. Degrass is simply Michio Kaku without the original research and academic publications to back up his credentials. His legacy better be more black astrophysicists but I wont hold my breath. Only that will justify his fame. He is better known and more popular than Stephen Hawking. That fame is undeserved and unjustified considering his comparative lack of research. List of Famous Astrophysicists

Last edited:
I'm excited for mankind. Do you really not care about the human race in 100 or 1000 years? I do.

I don't believe the human race will be progressing very much within the next 100 years. All of the indicators point to moral decay which strips the elements that make such achievements possible.
Carl sagen Neil degrass Tyson kestler and Stephen Hawking will continue despite your pessimistic attitude.

Neil Degrass is a nobody whose only claim to fame is that he is black astrophysics. If he weren't black no one would know his name as his contributions to cosmology and astrophysics are nominal at best. The hope for him was that he would inspire other blacks to get into the sciences. A great goal no doubt, but lets not get confused as to why he is famous. He's famous because they gave him a bunch of TV spots because of his skin color, not his contributions to astrophysics.

But I agree they will continue. The question is whether we will still have the political and cultural environment in the future that promotes progress. I'm betting we will not.
I disagree, he's a very personable "ambassador" who does a very good job sharing with the masses. Kinda picked up after Sagan died,although I think Tyson is more easy to relate to.

Indeed, I agree. But that's all he is. And he was appointed to his "ambassadorship" because of his skin color, not his accomplishments in astrophysics. You will see no major gains in cosmology and astrophysics as a result of his direct research. Degrass is simply Michio Kaku without the original research and academic publications to back up his credentials. His legacy better be more black astrophysicists but I wont hold my breath. Only that will justify his fame. He is better known and more popular than Stephen Hawking. That fame is undeserved and unjustified considering his comparative lack of research. List of Famous Astrophysicists
Agreed. Although I think his abilities as an "ambassador" are exceptional.

Sure, but there are a number of folks who could do and have done just as good a job.

Sure, but there are a number of folks who could do and have done just as good a job.
You could say the same about Sagan, although deserves the credit for making the effort.

If we put a high powered laser in orbit and shot it at Alpha Centauri as prime numbers followed by directions on how to build a laser and shoot it back at us, that would take about ten years?

Why can't the laser, light travelling at the speed of light through space, that is modulated to include a signal, be the probe/signal/spacecraft that goes there?

Because as in Contact tv and radio signals have been travelling for 75 years and we haven't heard back. If there is intelligent life there they would have to have attained our level of technology or better to get the message and respond.

If we haven't heard back yet I don't think anyone is there. If we received ANY recognizable signal we'd send it back after maybe a year of discussion on whether we'd be giving jack-the-ripper of the galaxy our address.

But send them out anyway. Let's get thousands or millions of these tiny probes on their way in every direction. What do we have to lose!!?

If we put a high powered laser in orbit and shot it at Alpha Centauri as prime numbers followed by directions on how to build a laser and shoot it back at us, that would take about ten years?

Why can't the laser, light travelling at the speed of light through space, that is modulated to include a signal, be the probe/signal/spacecraft that goes there?

Because as in Contact tv and radio signals have been travelling for 75 years and we haven't heard back. If there is intelligent life there they would have to have attained our level of technology or better to get the message and respond.

If we haven't heard back yet I don't think anyone is there. If we received ANY recognizable signal we'd send it back after maybe a year of discussion on whether we'd be giving jack-the-ripper of the galaxy our address.

But send them out anyway. Let's get thousands or millions of these tiny probes on their way in every direction. What do we have to lose!!?
Perhaps those that have received our signal don't want us to know that they have detected us. Easier to conquer when you have the element of surprise. Doesn't have to be jack the ripper, just the Europeans discovering America.

Over all I would think it unlikely that there will be an inhabitable planet orbiting the nearest star. That is a planet we can land on and breath air and grow food. I don't know how close to us the next star after Alpha Centauri is but maybe while we are at it we should send probes there too.

You could say the same about Sagan, although deserves the credit for making the effort.
No because he was involved in all the space missions

Over all I would think it unlikely that there will be an inhabitable planet orbiting the nearest star. That is a planet we can land on and breath air and grow food. I don't know how close to us the next star after Alpha Centauri is but maybe while we are at it we should send probes there too.
Might be an inhabitable moon instead of a planet

He's the gronkowski of science

It's been 80 years since the first tv signal went out into space, so if an intelligent species had received that and had the capability to send it back we could have heard back from any such planet orbiting a star up to 40 light years away.

And for those who don't know the distances in space that are out there, the Milky Way Galaxy is about 100,000 light years across. There is life out there, but intelligent life is another thing. I do believe there has to be intelligent life out there as well.

It's been 80 years since the first tv signal went out into space, so if an intelligent species had received that and had the capability to send it back we could have heard back from any such planet orbiting a star up to 40 light years away.

And for those who don't know the distances in space that are out there, the Milky Way Galaxy is about 100,000 light years across. There is life out there, but intelligent life is another thing. I do believe there has to be intelligent life out there as well.
I really hope they don't have the capability to send it back. I want to show up and find spears are the only weapons they have. They don't even have electricity yet. Wouldn't it be great to show up with machine guns and granades so they are scared to death of us? I would insist they send me their most beautiful women.

I really hope they don't have the capability to send it back. I want to show up and find spears are the only weapons they have. They don't even have electricity yet. Wouldn't it be great to show up with machine guns and granades so they are scared to death of us? I would insist they send me their most beautiful women.

In order to invade an inhabited planet we would have to build huge ships capable of transporting hundreds of people and masses of equipment. We would have to take a huge amount of ammunition for guns, because guns are no good against spears if you run out of bullets, as they discovered in the Zulu wars.

I have come to the conclusion that the project to send mini probes to Alpha Centauri is not likely to succeed.
Because after sending them on their way with lasers we would have no further control of them and they would probably miss the star by light years. Even if the arrived in the stars orbit they would not be controllable so they would probably just take random pictures of empty space and miss any planets that might be there.

If they were asking for money I would think it another scam, like the recent advertising for volunteers for a one way trip to Mars. That plan was almost certainly a scam to rip people off for funds for a non existent project.

I have come to the conclusion that the project to send mini probes to Alpha Centauri is not likely to succeed.
Because after sending them on their way with lasers we would have no further control of them and they would probably miss the star by light years. Even if the arrived in the stars orbit they would not be controllable so they would probably just take random pictures of empty space and miss any planets that might be there.

If they were asking for money I would think it another scam, like the recent advertising for volunteers for a one way trip to Mars. That plan was almost certainly a scam to rip people off for funds for a non existent project.
But it does make sense to send people to Mars, and that one can even be done. You can communicate with them, only you can't get them back. There is nothing wrong with sending a few antisocial convicts that have a level of discipline to follow instructions methodically. Or you can convict a few scientists and engineers, then send them, like the Soviet Union used to do.

Tidal heating makes Io the most geologically active body in the entire solar system. If it were bigger and had its own atmosphere, it might be a completely different place. Hell, with just those two factors, a moonplanet like that could be kept relatively "warm" even lacking a parent star (i.e. rogue planets).

I agree with the rest who predict more moons being habitable than planets. We truly could be unique in this aspect.

This would be the single greatest achievement in the history of humankind. But I doubt it will happen anytime within the next 100 years.
Stephen Hawking disagrees with you. But who is he right?

20 years we launch 20 years we arrive 5 years the signal comes back.

The best part is each spacechip costs as much as an iPhone. Hell I'd buy one. But that star and every planet and moon is my families. 1000 years from now maybe that will be the greatest thing I ever paid for.
Hey if we get a signal back from a probe we sent that reaches Alpha Centauri sometime in the next 100 years, PM me your info and I'll send you $1000.
I notice liberals are more interested in real goals like the human race living forever and conservatives only care about what happens to them here and now and after they die. One seems selfish
Only the liberal elites can live forever, the rest of US have to prove our justification to live. The New World Order has a population reduction of over 6 1/2 billion people. Are you lucky enough to be one to serve the elites? God, liberals are the dumbest people on this planet.
  1. How far away is Alpha Centauri from Earth?
    More than 25.6 trillion miles
    Sending a person to Alpha Centauri within a human lifetime wouldn't be easy. Alpha Centauri is 4.37 light-years away? more than 25.6 trillion miles, or more than 276,000 times the distance from the Earth to the sun.
  1. We are talking about a beam of light travelling 4.37 years away. A object that has to travel that far, hits a spec of dirt or rock and that item is gone at that speed. Liberals are good at wasting money, especially other peoples money.

Last edited:
This would be the single greatest achievement in the history of humankind. But I doubt it will happen anytime within the next 100 years.

The best part is each spacechip costs as much as an iPhone. Hell I'd buy one. But that star and every planet and moon is my families. 1000 years from now maybe that will be the greatest thing I ever paid for.
Hey if we get a signal back from a probe we sent that reaches Alpha Centauri sometime in the next 100 years, PM me your info and I'll send you $1000.
I notice liberals are more interested in real goals like the human race living forever and conservatives only care about what happens to them here and now and after they die. One seems selfish
Only the liberal elites can live forever, the rest of US have to prove our justification to live. The New World Order has a population reduction of over 6 1/2 billion people. Are you lucky enough to be one to serve the elites? God, liberals are the dumbest people on this planet.
    Sending a person to Alpha Centauri within a human lifetime wouldn't be easy. Alpha Centauri is 4.37 light-years away? more than 25.6 trillion miles, or more than 276,000 times the distance from the Earth to the sun.
  1. We are talking about a beam of light travelling 4.37 years away. A object that has to travel that far, hits a spec of dirt or rock and that item is gone at that speed. Liberals are good at wasting money, especially other peoples money.

What a loser you must be. First of all, it's not like there's a lot of dust out there between us and Alpha Centuri. Second, these spacechips cost as much as a iPHone. It's not like each of them costs a million dollars. I'll buy one if you are too cheap. We will send out thousands of them. So we shouldn't even try because it might not work? WOW!

3. We would be in the fucking stone age if it were up to people like you. Caveman said, "Ahhhh, don't bother making that wheel. What are you going to do with that, UNGA BUNGA." You are a hater. Don't worry, the smart people of the world will take care of figuring this shit out for us. No need to give your 2 cents because really that is all your opinion is worth. You've just wasted 2 cents. So stop it. Otherwise you like wasting money.

4. Last week a bunch of USMB conservative retards suggested it was us liberals who hate space exploration and you guys who love it. You are proof that was a lie. The only reason they were for space travel is because they want to privatize it.

Republican candidates seem clear on their goals for NASA post-2016. Aside from Rand Paul, who would like to cut space exploration by as much as 25 percent, most GOP candidates are touting plans that would increase funding and support for space exploration.

How the 2016 presidential candidates prioritize space exploration

What a loser you must be. First of all, it's not like there's a lot of dust out there between us and Alpha Centuri. Second, these spacechips cost as much as a iPHone. It's not like each of them costs a million dollars. I'll buy one if you are too cheap. We will send out thousands of them. So we shouldn't even try because it might not work? WOW!

3. We would be in the fucking stone age if it were up to people like you. Caveman said, "Ahhhh, don't bother making that wheel. What are you going to do with that, UNGA BUNGA." You are a hater. Don't worry, the smart people of the world will take care of figuring this shit out for us. No need to give your 2 cents because really that is all your opinion is worth. You've just wasted 2 cents. So stop it. Otherwise you like wasting money.

4. Last week a bunch of USMB conservative retards suggested it was us liberals who hate space exploration and you guys who love it. You are proof that was a lie. The only reason they were for space travel is because they want to privatize it.

Republican candidates seem clear on their goals for NASA post-2016. Aside from Rand Paul, who would like to cut space exploration by as much as 25 percent, most GOP candidates are touting plans that would increase funding and support for space exploration.

How the 2016 presidential candidates prioritize space exploration

Ah yes, the liberal response to truth. Well Mr. Smartypants, how will the propulsion be carried on said Iphone? As for dust, I guess you don't know anything about the Asteroid belt that is between Mars and Jupiter?
The distance between the asteroid belt and the Sun
The Asteroid Belt is located in an area of space between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter. That places it between 2.2 and 3.2 astronomical units (AU) from the Sun. The belt is about 1 AU thick.
Asteroid Belt Facts - Interesting Facts about the ...
Also, I guess you don't know that the solar systems is slowly revolving around a galactic axis, so while the computer thinks it is sending(if it really could) a small device in a direction, but gets it wrong, by millions of miles. Earthmen have to plan years in advance just to send someone one way to Mars, but if Obummer wouldn't of gutted NASA to just be a Muslim outreach instead of sending men to Mars, we might have been there already. But the Muslim president must be PC, even if it kills US.
NASA To Focus On Muslim Outreach - Judicial Watch
A few weeks after killing the U.S.A.’s world-famous moon-mission program, President Obama has ordered the space agency that operates it to focus on reaching out to Muslim countries.

Forum List

Back