Probes to alpha Centauri

They are putting money up to start working on the technology they need.

The issues for an Orion flyby are mere engineering issues.

If we had a decent manned space program, we could have ALREADY LAUNCHED an Orion flyby.

I wish them luck. It is his money to do with as he wishes. Like I said, though, I am skeptical of how much capability you can put in such a small item.
Have you heard about nano technology?

Yes. And it's not where near ready to make sensors or computers or interstellar communications devices.

I'm tired of hearing of new designs and new plans that never actually lead to anything being DONE.
That's hilarious me reading that on my smart phone. Who in 1980 would have imagined ylsmartphones and internet.

You don't seem to understand we are a new species and we have only begun to understand.

I understand it fine.

I understand that the vast majority of "plans" like this I have heard of, never leave the drawing board.
It's not everyday a billionaire sinks $100 million of his own money into a project endorsed by Stephen Hawking.

I find negative nay sayers like you so not helpful to the cause. How many of you said we'd never land on the moon?
With the event of the 1 way space expedition to Mars well under way, where each person who wanted to participate had to pay $1,000,000 just to have a chance to be vetted. Many were turned away as not qualified, but did not get a refund as that was in the contract. Now what will happen if the founder of the Mars expedition defaults on his end of the bargain? Sorta like Solyndra did on their 1/2 billion dollar deal that Obama promised was going to be great?

Stephen Hawking looking for inhabitable planets...
icon_cool.gif

Project Will Scan Star System for Inhabitable Planets
January 10, 2017 - Astronomers at the European Southern Observatory say they will use one of their high-powered tools to search for inhabitable planets near Earth.
The announcement this week came as part of a partnership with the Breakthrough Initiatives, a group that describes itself as "a program of scientific and technological exploration, probing the big questions of life in the universe: Are we alone? Are there habitable worlds in our galactic neighborhood? Can we make the great leap to the stars?" To help answer those questions, the two have teamed up for a multipronged project to visit Alpha Centauri that will last years. As a first step, the ESO will try to identify how many and what kinds of planets may be out in our stellar neighborhood.

Beginning in 2019 the ESO's Very Large Telescope in Chile will begin taking a very close look at the Alpha Centauri star system. At about 4.3 light-years away, it is the closest system to the Earth and made news last year when astronomers discovered an Earth-like planet, Proxima B, floating around Proxima Centauri, one of the three stars in the system. The other two stars in the system are a binary pair, named Alpha Centauri A (also named Rigil Kentaurus) and Alpha Centauri B. These two spin around each other every 79 years, separated by about the same distance as our sun and Pluto.

09E6E9BF-FCF2-4D24-A72E-B4664BD4163F_cx0_cy6_cw0_w250_r1_s_r1.jpg

Physicist Stephen Hawking sits on stage during an announcement of the Starshot initiative with investor Yuri Milner in New York, April 12, 2016. A partnership was announced this week with the European Southern Observatory, which will use one of their telescopes to hunt for inhabitable planets.​

Among these three stars there's the potential for lots of other planets, so the agreement will provide funding to pay for some modifications to the ESO's VISIR (VLT Imager and Spectrometer for mid-Infrared) instrument. The changes will provide a new set of glasses that should make it easier for VISIR to spot any other potentially inhabitable planets in the system. The agreement also provides for telescope time, which is expensive, to allow a careful search beginning in 2019. A big part of the Breakthrough Initiative is a program to send tiny probes to visit newly found, potentially inhabitable planets. It sounds crazy, but physicists like Stephen Hawking say the project is feasible potentially within this generation.

Fleet of space probes

The program, Starshot, is based on technology that still has to be developed, but it involves sending hundreds, maybe thousands of tiny space probes to Alpha Centauri, with an arrival time of about 20 years. Each tiny probe would be equipped with a full array of instrumentation, including communications equipment, a camera and a nuclear battery. The team says that with continuing advances in miniaturization technology, all that "stuff" should soon be small enough to sit on a probe that weighs about a gram and is the size of a postage stamp. Each probe will be attached to a solar sail that will get a push from a high-altitude laser, which will accelerate the probes to about 20 percent the speed of light. That's far faster than we've ever gone, but scientists at the Breakthrough Initiative say there's no reason it won't work — it's just that no one has done it yet.

Don't expect the Starshot initiative to get off the ground for another 30 to 40 years. But even if some snags slow down the project, one thing is certain: The ESO is going to be taking a really close look at our neighbors' stars before 2020, and that should give us a much better idea of how many more planets there are right next door. It should also give scientists more information to go on as they estimate how many inhabitable planets there are in our galaxy, a number that continues to climb based on information astronomers have been collecting for the past two decades.

Project Will Scan Star System for Inhabitable Planets

See also:

Chile Telescope to Be Used to Seek Habitable Planets in Nearest Star System
January 10, 2017 — The European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope in Chile will be modified in order to allow it to search more effectively for potentially habitable planets in Alpha Centauri, the nearest star system to Earth.
The ESO said it had signed a deal with Breakthrough Starshot, a venture that aims to deploy thousands of tiny spacecraft to travel to the system and send back pictures. Starshot, which is backed by internet billionaire Yuri Milner and physicist Stephen Hawking, will provide funding to allow equipment on the Very Large Telescope that studies in the mid-infrared spectral region to be adapted to better detect faint planets, the ESO said in a statement Monday.

A4FE8533-C378-415A-8808-04209A31C88F_w250_r1_s.jpg

This image of the Paranal platform of the Four Unit Telescopes of the Very Large Telescope was taken right after sunset.​

The adaptation will have the effect of reducing bright stellar light that drowns out relatively dim planets, improving the chances of finding them, it said. Interest in exploring the sun's nearest neighbor has increased since scientists announced last year that they had discovered evidence of an Earth-sized planet circling Proxima Centauri, a star in the Alpha Centauri system.

Larger telescopes planned for the 2020s — such as the ESO's own Extremely Large Telescope, current under construction in Chile — should provide researchers with more information on the number and nature of exoplanets. The ESO is an intergovernmental astronomy organization backed by 16 countries in Europe and South America and hosted in Chile.

Chile Telescope to Be Used to Seek Habitable Planets in Nearest Star System

A new project started by millionaire Yuri Milner and backed by Mark Zuckerberg and Professor Steven Hawking is preparing to send probes to Alpha Centauri. (the nearest star).
The probes will be no bigger than mobile phones and driven by a light powered sail. It will take them 20 years to arrive.

.View attachment 71071

Damn thing is 4.24 light-years away. Which means, of course, even if it were to reach its intended destination it would take at bare minimum 5 years simply to read the signal. So, 20 years to arrive and 5 additional years to receive the signal, .... yeah, I don't care.
12 year olds do old man.
The Corps of Discovery made it's explorations between 1804 and 1806. It was not until 1836 that the great migration began over the Oregon Trail. In this nation, we have done exploration before that took a generation to come to fruitation. That in a period with the average lifespan was about 45 years. Yes, I probably won't be alive to see such done, but I do care. Because that is the future for my grandsons.

This would be the single greatest achievement in the history of humankind. But I doubt it will happen anytime within the next 100 years.
I doubt people in the 90's would believe everything we have today. We truly are on a technicological boom right now and we still keep saying "what will they think of next.

Nono technology is something we didn't know about in the 90s. That was 20 years ago. Now imagine what we will know 100 years from now. We've only just begun
Hey people in the 80's thought we'd all have hoverboards by now. Where the hell are our hoverboards??? :mad:
Did people in the '80's ever imagine that we would have what we are communicating on today? I think that beats hover boards.

A new project started by millionaire Yuri Milner and backed by Mark Zuckerberg and Professor Steven Hawking is preparing to send probes to Alpha Centauri. (the nearest star).
The probes will be no bigger than mobile phones and driven by a light powered sail. It will take them 20 years to arrive.

.View attachment 71071

Damn thing is 4.24 light-years away. Which means, of course, even if it were to reach its intended destination it would take at bare minimum 5 years simply to read the signal. So, 20 years to arrive and 5 additional years to receive the signal, .... yeah, I don't care.
12 year olds do old man.

Your Google search habits are none of my concern.
I'm excited for mankind. Do you really not care about the human race in 100 or 1000 years? I do.

I don't believe the human race will be progressing very much within the next 100 years. All of the indicators point to moral decay which strips the elements that make such achievements possible.
Well, I think you are prudish old man with no interest in the progress of mankind. As for moral decay, if your definition of the has to do only with sex, as with most 'Conservatives', it might be pointed out that the two founding civilizations for the Western Culture, Greece and Rome, were not exactly prudish. LOL

12 year olds do old man.

Your Google search habits are none of my concern.
I'm excited for mankind. Do you really not care about the human race in 100 or 1000 years? I do.

I don't believe the human race will be progressing very much within the next 100 years. All of the indicators point to moral decay which strips the elements that make such achievements possible.
Carl sagen Neil degrass Tyson kestler and Stephen Hawking will continue despite your pessimistic attitude.

Neil Degrass is a nobody whose only claim to fame is that he is black astrophysics. If he weren't black no one would know his name as his contributions to cosmology and astrophysics are nominal at best. The hope for him was that he would inspire other blacks to get into the sciences. A great goal no doubt, but lets not get confused as to why he is famous. He's famous because they gave him a bunch of TV spots because of his skin color, not his contributions to astrophysics.

But I agree they will continue. The question is whether we will still have the political and cultural environment in the future that promotes progress. I'm betting we will not. I believe the indicators agree with me.
And I repeat, I think you are a silly constipated old man. LOL

.View attachment 71071

12 year olds do old man.
The Corps of Discovery made it's explorations between 1804 and 1806. It was not until 1836 that the great migration began over the Oregon Trail. In this nation, we have done exploration before that took a generation to come to fruitation. That in a period with the average lifespan was about 45 years. Yes, I probably won't be alive to see such done, but I do care. Because that is the future for my grandsons.

Ummmm, the speed of travel had a bit to do with that don't you think? Add to that the fact that there was still land available up until the 1820's and there was no pressure to drive people west. Migrations only happen because of need. There simply was no need to expand until the 1830's.

Carl sagen Neil degrass Tyson kestler and Stephen Hawking will continue despite your pessimistic attitude.

Neil Degrass is a nobody whose only claim to fame is that he is black astrophysics. If he weren't black no one would know his name as his contributions to cosmology and astrophysics are nominal at best. The hope for him was that he would inspire other blacks to get into the sciences. A great goal no doubt, but lets not get confused as to why he is famous. He's famous because they gave him a bunch of TV spots because of his skin color, not his contributions to astrophysics.

But I agree they will continue. The question is whether we will still have the political and cultural environment in the future that promotes progress. I'm betting we will not.
I disagree, he's a very personable "ambassador" who does a very good job sharing with the masses. Kinda picked up after Sagan died,although I think Tyson is more easy to relate to.

Indeed, I agree. But that's all he is. And he was appointed to his "ambassadorship" because of his skin color, not his accomplishments in astrophysics. You will see no major gains in cosmology and astrophysics as a result of his direct research. Degrass is simply Michio Kaku without the original research and academic publications to back up his credentials. His legacy better be more black astrophysicists but I wont hold my breath. Only that will justify his fame. He is better known and more popular than Stephen Hawking. That fame is undeserved and unjustified considering his comparative lack of research. List of Famous Astrophysicists
Gotta keep them thar 'Nigras' in their place, right?

But I agree they will continue. The question is whether we will still have the political and cultural environment in the future that promotes progress. I'm betting we will not.
I disagree, he's a very personable "ambassador" who does a very good job sharing with the masses. Kinda picked up after Sagan died,although I think Tyson is more easy to relate to.

Indeed, I agree. But that's all he is. And he was appointed to his "ambassadorship" because of his skin color, not his accomplishments in astrophysics. You will see no major gains in cosmology and astrophysics as a result of his direct research. Degrass is simply Michio Kaku without the original research and academic publications to back up his credentials. His legacy better be more black astrophysicists but I wont hold my breath. Only that will justify his fame. He is better known and more popular than Stephen Hawking. That fame is undeserved and unjustified considering his comparative lack of research. List of Famous Astrophysicists
Agreed. Although I think his abilities as an "ambassador" are exceptional.

Sure, but there are a number of folks who could do and have done just as good a job.
Especially if they had a white skin? Tyson did it, and did a good job. End of story.

.View attachment 71071

12 year olds do old man.

Ummmm, the speed of travel had a bit to do with that don't you think? Add to that the fact that there was still land available up until the 1820's and there was no pressure to drive people west. Migrations only happen because of need. There simply was no need to expand until the 1830's.
Was there a continuous need nearly until 1900? Americans are fiddle footed by nature. Only a few remain in the state they were born in. The exploration of space is merely the latest chapter in that.

.View attachment 71071

12 year olds do old man.

Was there a continuous need nearly until 1900? Americans are fiddle footed by nature. Only a few remain in the state they were born in. The exploration of space is merely the latest chapter in that.

American restlessness certainly is the norm now, back then though it wasn't. Travel was difficult and very dangerous. The pioneers who conquered the west were true adventurers, and made of very strong stuff. And yes, once the need made itself known, it didn't abate until around 1935! People chase jobs. For a long time the jobs were mobile in the west.

That being said I am totally in support of a very well funded and aggressive SPACE program. The sooner man is able to get off of this one rock, and spread out into the solar system, the better his chances for long term survival become.

One of my great-grandmothers walked all the way across America at six years old. Nobody but the driver rode, and then often even he walked if they were not in rough terrain where he needed to direct the oxen. My Great grandfather who married her, took a ship to the Isthmus of Panama, and walked across, then took a ship to Portland, Oregon. That was about 1860. One of my great aunts had a grandmother that arrived, if one can call it that, on the Lost Meek Wagon train. My aunt confirmed to me that, indeed, they did find gold. Her grandmother saw the gold, but was young enough she didn't remember where they were. That was before 1848, and there was cholera in the train, and gold was not exactly something they were worried about.

One of my great-grandmothers walked all the way across America at six years old. Nobody but the driver rode, and then often even he walked if they were not in rough terrain where he needed to direct the oxen. My Great grandfather who married her, took a ship to the Isthmus of Panama, and walked across, then took a ship to Portland, Oregon. That was about 1860. One of my great aunts had a grandmother that arrived, if one can call it that, on the Lost Meek Wagon train. My aunt confirmed to me that, indeed, they did find gold. Her grandmother saw the gold, but was young enough she didn't remember where they were. That was before 1848, and there was cholera in the train, and gold was not exactly something they were worried about.

Indeed. I have walked the entire length of the Oregon trail from Wyoming through to Baker City when I was a young man. There were still items of furniture that were left behind as the oxen died and the trek turned to one of survival. Your great grandmother was made of strong stuff and my hat is off to her!

I think we should go to Mars.

I hear they have a lot of rocks to play with.

.View attachment 71071

Polluting the universe again?

Wait till the EPA hears about this!

Indeed. I have walked the entire length of the Oregon trail from Wyoming through to Baker City when I was a young man. There were still items of furniture that were left behind as the oxen died and the trek turned to one of survival. Your great grandmother was made of strong stuff and my hat is off to her!
Damn, I envy you. I have been on sections in Oregon, Idaho, and Wyoming. I traced some of one of the sections that the Lost Meek Train covered northwest of Westfall. Much of that country is horribly busted up. Where the Ore-Ida Graben intersects faulting from the Yellowstone hotspot.

Damn, I envy you. I have been on sections in Oregon, Idaho, and Wyoming. I traced some of one of the sections that the Lost Meek Train covered northwest of Westfall. Much of that country is horribly busted up. Where the Ore-Ida Graben intersects faulting from the Yellowstone hotspot.

The largest concentration of debris I came across was a band 20 miles either side of the Idaho/Oregon boundary. They were so close but running out of steam. Lots of graves there too. That and Wyoming had quite a few.

Idaho, for much of the journey, was dry, then the crossing of the Snake were always fraught with hazard. The section from Farewell Bend to Baker City was rocky, steep, and very dry. Once in the Powder River and Grande Ronde Valleys, the Indians would trade them potatoes, many kinds of vegitables, squash, and wild game for cloth and metal. They would also trade a fresh oxen for two worn out ones. And trade those the next year after fattening them up. They also had beef and horses to trade. Not at all the picture that the movies paint of the Native Americans. Very good museum at Baker City featuring facts and item from the Trail.

Forum List

Back