Price Transparency In Medicine Faces Stiff Opposition — From Hospitals And Doctors

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
Here is an article that is very revealing about medicine, which is a business in America, a big business. Go ahead and try and get an estimate of cost, it isn't easy with any doctor. Medicine is like buying a car that the salesman wants you to buy. It is simply amazing how much trust is put into doctors who bottom line, is the bottom line.

As I found out trying to buy a durable medical device, CPAP. There is absolutely no way for competition to hold down prices. My plan provided me ONE supplier that was 35 miles away. When in fact there are many providers within 20 miles with lower prices. Not to mention that the Internet provides many opportunities at savings. I filed a complaint with the company about the lack of availability and choice, and guess what their team of doctors said, tough crap.

Price Transparency In Medicine Faces Stiff Opposition — From Hospitals And Doctors

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Two years after it passed unanimously in Ohio’s state Legislature, a law meant to inform patients what health care procedures will cost is in a state of suspended animation.

One of the most stringent in a group of similar state laws being proposed across the country, Ohio’s Healthcare Price Transparency Law stipulated that providers had to give patients a “good faith” estimate of what non-emergency services would cost individuals after insurance before they commenced treatment.

But the law didn’t go into force on Jan. 1 as scheduled. And its troubled odyssey illustrates the political and business forces opposing a common-sense but controversial solution to rein in high health care costs for patients: Let patients see prices.

Many patient advocates say such transparency would be helpful for patients, allowing them to shop around for some services to hold down out-of-pocket costs, as well as adjust their household budgets for upcoming health-related outlays at a time of high-deductible plans.

Its called price fixing but as usual we get no prosecutions.....most of societies ills stem from lack of enforcement of existing law

New Topics

Forum List

Back