President Trump announces bill that punishes companies that ship jobs overseas

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
it's called America First. deal with it!

Inside Donald Trump’s Head

"I also have another bill ... an economic-development bill, which I think will be fantastic. Which nobody knows about. Which you are hearing about for the first time... . Economic-development incentives for companies. Incentives for companies to be here." Companies that keep jobs in America get rewarded; those that send operations offshore "get penalized severely." "It's both a carrot and a stick," says the president. "It is an incentive to stay. But it is perhaps even more so--if you leave, it's going to be very tough for you to think that you're going to be able to sell your product back into our country."

"What I want to do is reciprocal. See, I think the concept of reciprocal is a very nice concept. If somebody is charging us 50%, we should charge them 50%. Right now they charge us 50%, and we charge them nothing. That doesn't work with me."

Ask President Trump if he's having fun in his new job, and he has a quick answer: "I am having fun. I'm enjoying it. We're accomplishing a lot. Your stock market is at an all-time high.

"Your jobs, your unemployment is at the lowest point in almost 17 years. We have fantastic numbers coming out."

In the Oval Office, when I tell him the markets are up 20% during his term, he stretches the time period to yield an even glossier figure. "No, 25 since the election. You have to go since the election."

That depends on the index, of course (he's conveniently using the most Trump-friendly one, Nasdaq), but the president will brook no such subtlety. "Since Election Day it's 25%. It has gone up since Election Day $5.2 trillion--$5.2 trillion. If Hillary Clinton would have won, the markets would have gone down substantially."

He's similarly proud of the GDP. "So GDP last quarter was 3.1%. Most of the folks that are in your business, and elsewhere, were saying that would not be hit for a long time. You know, Obama never hit the number."

When informed that his predecessor did, several times, Trump pivots immediately. "He never hit it on a yearly basis. Never hit it on a yearly basis. That's eight years. I think we'll go substantially higher than that. And I think this quarter would have been phenomenal, except for the hurricanes."

And what of those storms? "Well, I've gotten very high marks for the hurricanes," he says, two days before he tweets about how he wasn't getting enough personal credit.

Why would jobs move overseas when they can automate here?

Beside, most of the jobs that moved overseas are like Trump companies. I bet they're exempt.

"Your jobs, your unemployment is at the lowest point in almost 17 years. We have fantastic numbers coming out."
hmmm the same data sets from the same people in the same agency with no change in methodology, but last year they were phony and this year they're fantastic.

When informed that his predecessor did, several times, Trump pivots immediately. "He never hit it on a yearly basis. Never hit it on a yearly basis.
Neither has Trump.

it's called America First. deal with it!

Inside Donald Trump’s Head

"I also have another bill ... an economic-development bill, which I think will be fantastic. Which nobody knows about. Which you are hearing about for the first time... . Economic-development incentives for companies. Incentives for companies to be here." Companies that keep jobs in America get rewarded; those that send operations offshore "get penalized severely." "It's both a carrot and a stick," says the president. "It is an incentive to stay. But it is perhaps even more so--if you leave, it's going to be very tough for you to think that you're going to be able to sell your product back into our country."

"What I want to do is reciprocal. See, I think the concept of reciprocal is a very nice concept. If somebody is charging us 50%, we should charge them 50%. Right now they charge us 50%, and we charge them nothing. That doesn't work with me."

Ask President Trump if he's having fun in his new job, and he has a quick answer: "I am having fun. I'm enjoying it. We're accomplishing a lot. Your stock market is at an all-time high.

In the Oval Office, when I tell him the markets are up 20% during his term, he stretches the time period to yield an even glossier figure. "No, 25 since the election. You have to go since the election."

That depends on the index, of course (he's conveniently using the most Trump-friendly one, Nasdaq), but the president will brook no such subtlety. "Since Election Day it's 25%. It has gone up since Election Day $5.2 trillion--$5.2 trillion. If Hillary Clinton would have won, the markets would have gone down substantially."

He's similarly proud of the GDP. "So GDP last quarter was 3.1%. Most of the folks that are in your business, and elsewhere, were saying that would not be hit for a long time. You know, Obama never hit the number."

When informed that his predecessor did, several times, Trump pivots immediately. "He never hit it on a yearly basis. Never hit it on a yearly basis. That's eight years. I think we'll go substantially higher than that. And I think this quarter would have been phenomenal, except for the hurricanes."

And what of those storms? "Well, I've gotten very high marks for the hurricanes," he says, two days before he tweets about how he wasn't getting enough personal credit.

This is what I like about Trump that he wants to keep jobs here and I applaud him for it. It would be great if it worked and jobs came back and stayed here. I really hope legislation like this does work and brings jobs back... but I have my doubts.

unfortunately protectionism policies I fear will do little good, as much as I and a lot of people would love to keep jobs here the reality is companies will just find new ways get cheaper labor. That is just the reality of the situation. They tried to protect US Steel workers by putting a tariff on steel I remember years ago, well that did little good. It did little to prevent more jobs going overseas. US Steel use to be a great job that you could just walk into and get a good job easily in the 70's, from what family members tell me. Now you really have to know someone to get a job at US Steel and a lot of time they just hire temp workers, it is a dying industry.

This is why I drive a truck for a living, you can't ship over the road trucking jobs overseas :)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back