Postal Hike...overuled...no increase.

Keeping the rate increase to inflation basically ignores the real problem at the Postal Service. You either have to pay more for six delivery or reduce the number of days you deliver. More efficiency in delivery is needed. The place is about as automated as you can make it. Reducing overtime and staff is the only way. I think Harry has mentioned the Postal Service is adminstartively top heavy too. I'd tend to believe him.

its very top heavy.....some people have jobs created for them because they have nothing for them to do.....and it is usually a job that interferes with the delivery side of the place....and to justify their jobs,they will exercise whatever powers they have been given....and it always seems to be something that gets in the way of the mail flow.....and before you ask,NO.....no one in the Service does a dam thing about it.....its hard to explain....you would probably have to work there to understand what i am talking about,to see the "important" job these people have,and how meaningless the jobs are to the function of the PO.....

Liberals should not be quoting the Constitution. It's embarassing.
If the USPS was doing it's job inexpensively and efficiently , we would not be having this discussion... Oh ,there would not be a need for UPS or Fed-Ex either.
I am waiting for the attacks on Fed Ex to come from the board union thugs.

Other than trying to demonstrate that you know nothing about the Constitution (most conservatives know nothing outside the Second Amendment)...

What is your point?

come on Rw....there have been many a Lib here that are fairly clueless themselves when they chime in about the Document....it works both ways.....a few months back a new poster was bad mouthing the Conservatives here about their lack of knowledge about the Constitution and went on to tell us how much HE knew about it.....the dipshit was quoting the Declaration of Independence...:lol:...he got laughed off the board...i havent seen him back since.....

Actually..you are probably right about that. And there should be a class in high school about civics. Would do this country a world of good.

That..and the Constitution is just an amazing document.

Other than trying to demonstrate that you know nothing about the Constitution (most conservatives know nothing outside the Second Amendment)...

What is your point?

come on Rw....there have been many a Lib here that are fairly clueless themselves when they chime in about the Document....it works both ways.....a few months back a new poster was bad mouthing the Conservatives here about their lack of knowledge about the Constitution and went on to tell us how much HE knew about it.....the dipshit was quoting the Declaration of Independence...:lol:...he got laughed off the board...i havent seen him back since.....

Actually..you are probably right about that. And there should be a class in high school about civics. Would do this country a world of good.

well when i was in school we covered it.....

Liberals should not be quoting the Constitution. It's embarassing.
If the USPS was doing it's job inexpensively and efficiently , we would not be having this discussion... Oh ,there would not be a need for UPS or Fed-Ex either.
I am waiting for the attacks on Fed Ex to come from the board union thugs.

What is your point?

I would guess that very few here have actually read the Constitution as they claim they have. The Document gets quite boring after the Preamble and is more about providing a Government structure than telling you how to do things.
Confusing the Constitution with the Declaration is common...since most have not read either

Obama has threatened that if Congress does not pass cap and trade he will sign an executive order giving the EPA broad powers to regulate carbon emissions.

No, the EPA was ordered by the Supreme Court to either regulate greenhouse gas emissions or provide a compelling reason why it could not do so. Obama doesn't need to sign an EO to give the EPA powers that Congress gave it two decades ago through the Clean Air Act.

that's one case..
This is something entirely different

Reuters AlertNet - ANALYSIS-Empowered US EPA will not spark energy revolution
first sentence thrid paragraph..says it all.
An Ol' Broad's Ramblings
scroll down to "massive regulations killing the economy"...
I'm not wrong on this.
You are not wrong on the Supreme Court decision.

and im sure our two uninformed posters here will say.....SO??

Actually their mandate was originally intended that they would be self sufficient. Nobody said anything about no matter how unprofitable it was.

You would deliver that Letter for 44 cents. if 100,000 other people also gave you letters to deliver on the way wouldn't you? lol Or do you think they only send one letter per truck :)

The Post Office has to deliver to every backwoods Podunk location in the US.
They are not allowed to perform cost/benefit analysis or eliminate towns or states based on profitability.

To deliver anywhere in the US for 44 cents is a miracle in efficiency

Actually, it's a concept called "Economies of Scale." That the government loses money doing it is a miracle of ineffeciency.

That's because you're full of rhetoric. Silly, stupid, right wing rhetoric.

Then defend the 6 billion dollars loss. This should prove interesting, if it can be called that.

Lots of arguments are very complex and hard to get into in a single post, but the USPS argument is a slam dunk.

6 billion dollars; About 20 bucks a person. You think eliminating the USPS will benefit the taxpayer. It will not. Let's be extraordinarily conservative and say the rates will *ONLY* double when privitized. Well, I lose far more than that twenty bucks out the gate, because I'm a business owner and I mail and have mailed to me hundreds of checks/letters/notices per year.

Say you never mail anything. Maybe you are a consumer of my product. If not, you are nonetheless a consumer of products, and every producer uses the mail. When their postage budget doubles, who do you think is going to pay for that?

A compelling argument.

So go ask for $20 per person and see if it sells.

hey Charlie ....UPS has already stated that for them to turn a profit on first class letters they would be charging what they charge now to deliver one of their "letters"....which according to the UPS driver i see on my route is anywhere from 1.10 to 1.75 depending on where its going.....AND UPS has also stated that the PO should charge to FWD letters.....i would not take that bet.....you would lose....

As seldom as I use the mail, I would pay that dollar or so to UPS or Fed-Ex because of one reason. That is because I know the letter would get to it's destination and get there on time.

With the volume of mail the post office pushes, they have an excellent on time delivery, Spoon.

Typical government worker mentality, more is harder. With study on volume more is actually easier. USPS has the largest distribution network on the planet and yet they constantly complain about how hard it is. Seems to me they could capitalize on that.

Typical government worker mentality, more is harder. With study on volume more is actually easier. USPS has the largest distribution network on the planet and yet they constantly complain about how hard it is. Seems to me they could capitalize on that.

why dont you come on down and show us how easy it is to put a route up and get your ass out there and deliver it in the time they want you to do it......more is not easier......your handling more mail in the same amount of time.....and with longer routes.....yea its easier.....typical mentality of a person who hasnt a clue as to what it takes to deliver a route......

I'm sending out around 5,000 pieces of mail this week for the job I'm working on. There's no way I'd use anything other than the USPS.

and if you have a good up to date mailing list they should all get to where they are going....

No, the list isn't very good. It's voter rolls, which are notoriously out of date.

Probably half the mailing won't get to where it's supposed to be - through no fault of the post office.

:D

Harry Dresden - you're a postal carrier, right?

I bet you love this time of year, filling mailboxes with political lit, right? :D

Doc....Political mail is horrible....and should be banned....its a waste of time and resources....and so many of those bastards abuse their franking privileges .....it gets treated like first class mail but yet they pay Bulk Rate prices.....and it has to go when it comes in no matter how much is there.....i tell you they will curtail peoples checks to get this shit out if they have to.....and i know the OT they shell out at this time of the year to get this shit out exceeds what this mail pays in....we had 12 different sets arrive last Thursday along with the usual stuff.....i have 764 deliveries on my route.....at least around 70% of the people get this stuff.....it takes a while to stuff a multiple delivery box (gang boxes).....

I agree, from the other side. I hate when campaign put all this money into mailings and lawn signs - which in my opinion are the most pointless ways for campaigns to throw away money. Mailings are just shifted from the mailbox to the garbage, no one actually reads them anymore.

I agree, from the other side. I hate when campaign put all this money into mailings and lawn signs - which in my opinion are the most pointless ways for campaigns to throw away money. Mailings are just shifted from the mailbox to the garbage, no one actually reads them anymore.

if only the politicians would believe this.....they dont.....i dont think i have ever encountered anyone who was happy to get the shit.....it does seem everyone just takes it and tosses it.....maybe the "GREENIES" should start getting on these people for wasting trees for this shit....

if only the politicians would believe this.....they dont.....i dont think i have ever encountered anyone who was happy to get the shit.....it does seem everyone just takes it and tosses it.....maybe the "GREENIES" should start getting on these people for wasting trees for this shit....

It's not politicians - its annoying campaign staffers. Every campaign I work on I complain about it, but it never seems to make a difference. Lawn signs are the worst waste of money - worse than mailings, I think.

why dont you come on down and show us how easy it is to put a route up and get your ass out there and deliver it in the time they want you to do it......more is not easier......your handling more mail in the same amount of time.....and with longer routes.....yea its easier.....typical mentality of a person who hasnt a clue as to what it takes to deliver a route......
Oh please cry me a river. Postal employees as with other union members are compensated every well for their work. In fact well above the prevailing market wage for similar work.
So I dont want to hear it.
Tell me Harry 'ol boy...where elose can you find work that allows you to "save up" sick time and vacation time until retirement and then collect a weekly paycheck until the time is exahausted....Where else can you double up on your work hours to pad your salary so you can retire at a much higher pay rate than you actual wages?
Don't complain about your job and how hard it is unless insulting the American taxpayer is one of your hobbies..
And please do not tell me you "deserve" all these goodies. You don't. No one does.
Vut now you'll tell me some nonsense about "good faith negotiations and contracts"...Bullshit. The federal government under pressure from other unions set these rules. Rules that are now economically unsustainable.

BTW, I am still waiting for that packeage to arrive via USPS.. it was mailed 7 days ago..
I could have ridden my bicycle to NJ and back quicker..With sleepovers.
"We're the United States Postal Service. We'll get it there...Eventually".

If the USPS eliminated bulk rates and other perks, there would be no mention of rate increases every 15 minutes

those guys who pay the bulk rates is what keeps the rates as low as they are.....
You are certain of that?
Well, if the USPS doesn't get it's act together fewer and fewer pieces will come through the system. And if that happens , quite a few people will be leaving the employ of the Taxpayers.
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09674t.pdf

What is your point?

I think civics should be a core High School course just like Math and ENglish.
I also think the passage of a 10 question civics test should be a requirement for voter registration.

I think civics should be a core High School course just like Math and ENglish.
I also think the passage of a 10 question civics test should be a requirement for voter registration.

Civics is a graduation requirement in Michigan.

Oh please cry me a river. Postal employees as with other union members are compensated every well for their work. In fact well above the prevailing market wage for similar work.
So I dont want to hear it.
Tell me Harry 'ol boy...where elose can you find work that allows you to "save up" sick time and vacation time until retirement and then collect a weekly paycheck until the time is exahausted....Where else can you double up on your work hours to pad your salary so you can retire at a much higher pay rate than you actual wages?
Don't complain about your job and how hard it is unless insulting the American taxpayer is one of your hobbies..
And please do not tell me you "deserve" all these goodies. You don't. No one does.
Vut now you'll tell me some nonsense about "good faith negotiations and contracts"...Bullshit. The federal government under pressure from other unions set these rules. Rules that are now economically unsustainable.

BTW, I am still waiting for that packeage to arrive via USPS.. it was mailed 7 days ago..
I could have ridden my bicycle to NJ and back quicker..With sleepovers.
"We're the United States Postal Service. We'll get it there...Eventually".

I don't know...where is that?

Might have been the Post office of 25 years ago, but not today

Forum List

Back