Postal Hike...overuled...no increase.

The post office will pick a letter up at my house and deliver it to my brother in California less than a week later for 44 cents. I would not deliver a letter across town for that.

They have a mandate to deliver mail to all Americans regardless of how unprofitable it may be

and im sure our two uninformed posters here will say.....SO??

Actually their mandate was originally intended that they would be self sufficient. Nobody said anything about no matter how unprofitable it was.

You would deliver that Letter for 44 cents. if 100,000 other people also gave you letters to deliver on the way wouldn't you? lol Or do you think they only send one letter per truck :)

The Post Office has to deliver to every backwoods Podunk location in the US.
They are not allowed to perform cost/benefit analysis or eliminate towns or states based on profitability.

To deliver anywhere in the US for 44 cents is a miracle in efficiency

and im sure our two uninformed posters here will say.....SO??

Actually their mandate was originally intended that they would be self sufficient. Nobody said anything about no matter how unprofitable it was.

You would deliver that Letter for 44 cents. if 100,000 other people also gave you letters to deliver on the way wouldn't you? lol Or do you think they only send one letter per truck :)

They are not allowed to perform cost/benefit analysis or eliminate towns or states based on profitability.

Losing 6 Billion dollars a year is a miracle in efficiency? I think not.

I would bet money Fed Ex and UPS could take over right now and do it for not much more at all, and make a profit at it.

I would bet money Fed Ex and UPS could take over right now and do it for not much more at all, and make a profit at it.

That's because you're full of rhetoric. Silly, stupid, right wing rhetoric.

Then defend the 6 billion dollars loss. This should prove interesting, if it can be called that.

Then defend the 6 billion dollars loss. This should prove interesting, if it can be called that.

Lots of arguments are very complex and hard to get into in a single post, but the USPS argument is a slam dunk.

6 billion dollars; About 20 bucks a person. You think eliminating the USPS will benefit the taxpayer. It will not. Let's be extraordinarily conservative and say the rates will *ONLY* double when privitized. Well, I lose far more than that twenty bucks out the gate, because I'm a business owner and I mail and have mailed to me hundreds of checks/letters/notices per year.

Say you never mail anything. Maybe you are a consumer of my product. If not, you are nonetheless a consumer of products, and every producer uses the mail. When their postage budget doubles, who do you think is going to pay for that?

Its called an opinion, not rhetoric. Why don't you put up some numbers to prove your belief that rates would double if Private companies were doing it. You may be right I don't know.

Last edited:

Under the same rules as the USPS? Afraid not

Both UPS and FedEX get to choose the profitable elements of parcel delivery they want to participate in. They don't deliver six days a week, don't pick up at your house, avoid rural America, don't handle letters and bulk deliveries.

Absolutely.
However these things do pale to compare to USPS's real problems.
85% of the service's cost is wages and compensation. 85%!
So trying to solve thier problem by doing away with other wasteful things only addresses 15% of their expenses.
They must reduce employee compensation and retirement benefits...but GOD forbid that!! Nooooooo...and certainly not under this administration is that going to happen.
:lol:......you havent got a clue to what your talking about.....if you worked just 6 months in the place....you would never think again what you just said.....you are what you seem.....clueless.....and they have reduced retirement benifits moron.....starting in around 1984.....

I have been dealing with the post office, actually many offices, for far too long.
The Post Office is filled with incompetence and people who don't care. People who are glad to stop $10,000's in commercial mail because of small technicalities that don't affect delivery accuracy or speed.
The only reason the Post Office don't get everything they want is because enough of US - the captured customers - stand up against their every whim.
Thank God once again this time we stopped you from raising rates again.

Price to mail a 1/4 lb letter from New York to San Francisco by FedEx, 3 days - $24.73

Price to mail a 1/4 lb letter from New York to San Francisco by USPS, 3 days - $1.43

Cheaper? I think not.

No postage increase beyond rate of inflation. :clap2:

That is the good news...bad news is Obama will soon sign a $6,000,000,000 emergency bill to give to the Post Office so it can pay retiree benefits. :evil:

You see...the board also found the the Post Office woes are not due to the recession; they are due to employee compensation and benefits that are far and away better than the private sector.
The board also found that a postal increase will not stop the real problem: a pension fund that is immpossible to pay for.
Gee...maybe they should consider that an average of $27 per hour for someone to pass mail around is just a wee bit high..or excessive holidays that cause overtime might be an issue, or fantastic benefits better than the private sector...etc. etc. etc.
The USPS is an overstuffed inefficent and horifically expensive unti of the federal government. It should be blown up and redone. The USPS has far too many employees, is unionized and does little to serve the public.
9 days to get package from NJ to NC is inexcusable.
I avoid the USPS at all costs. I think the USPS is junk. Bring back the Pony Express.

That is the good news...bad news is Obama will soon sign a $6,000,000,000 emergency bill to give to the Post Office so it can pay retiree benefits. :evil:

You see...the board also found the the Post Office woes are not due to the recession; they are due to employee compensation and benefits that are far and away better than the private sector.
The board also found that a postal increase will not stop the real problem: a pension fund that is immpossible to pay for.
Gee...maybe they should consider that an average of $27 per hour for someone to pass mail around is just a wee bit high..or excessive holidays that cause overtime might be an issue, or fantastic benefits better than the private sector...etc. etc. etc.

hey clueless....since like 1984 ALL Postal employees hired after that date are on SS.....and NO Carrier gets 27 bucks an hour....AND i would love to see you come in and put a route up and get your fat ass out there and deliver said route.... and the US Congress owes the PO around 50 billion dollars for all the times they took money made by the PO for their own little projects....you sound like the PO management at Contract time....its always the carriers and clerks fault.....NEVER the assholes who run the place and waste MILLIONS of dollars on schemes to deliver mail that never work....always the dipshits on the outside looking in....and believing what they hear or read....amazing....

Oh please...Here we go...
Hey, how come it takes a week to get to transport and envelope 50 miles?
Do you knwo why Fed-Ex makes so muhc money? Because they DO A BETTER JOB...
Yes it costs more. So what. We need our stuff and we want it ON TIME. Not when some overstuffed slug in a postal distribution center decides it isn't his God Damned coffee break...
And don't start about clerks.
Why is it that if there's 20 people on line for service in a PO a clerk looks at his watch and says "Customers? Screw you. It's time for my break." Then the uncaring dolt closes his/her line and disappears. Why couldn't that clerk wait ten minutes for the line to go down so that the other person could efficiently take care of the remaining customers. No , we all get to wait twice as long so the clerk can go sit on his/her ass.
And now you're going to give me a ration along the lines of " suppose the people keep coming in and it stays busy? No break? .......Nope. The supervisor should either pitch in and help the customers or go get someone and bring them up front to take care of the workload. The customers should NEVER bear the inconvenience of a union mandated coffee break.....NEVER!

hey Charlie ....UPS has already stated that for them to turn a profit on first class letters they would be charging what they charge now to deliver one of their "letters"....which according to the UPS driver i see on my route is anywhere from 1.10 to 1.75 depending on where its going.....AND UPS has also stated that the PO should charge to FWD letters.....i would not take that bet.....you would lose....

The USPS is an overstuffed inefficent and horifically expensive unti of the federal government. It should be blown up and redone. The USPS has far too many employees, is unionized and does little to serve the public.
9 days to get package from NJ to NC is inexcusable.
I avoid the USPS at all costs. I think the USPS is junk. Bring back the Pony Express.

Why don't you send your letter UPS, or Fed-Ex? Quit your damn crying about the post office, and use a private company.
USPS isn't perfect, but for 44 cents you get more bang out of the buck than a private company, and they will forward first class for no extra charge for a period of time. Try that with your private company, Spoon.
Somehow I think if the post office wasn't there you would be whining and crying about the private companies, also. Especially, if it was like 2-5 dollars a letter. :eusa_whistle:

You are sadly mistaken, and would soon be paying .75 to 1.00 per letter.

hey Charlie ....UPS has already stated that for them to turn a profit on first class letters they would be charging what they charge now to deliver one of their "letters"....which according to the UPS driver i see on my route is anywhere from 1.10 to 1.75 depending on where its going.....AND UPS has also stated that the PO should charge to FWD letters.....i would not take that bet.....you would lose....

As seldom as I use the mail, I would pay that dollar or so to UPS or Fed-Ex because of one reason. That is because I know the letter would get to it's destination and get there on time.

As seldom as I use the mail, I would pay that dollar or so to UPS or Fed-Ex because of one reason. That is because I know the letter would get to it's destination and get there on time.

With the volume of mail the post office pushes, they have an excellent on time delivery, Spoon.

they lose money because they dont have to answer to anyone like a board of stock holders......they only have to be accountable to themselves,and only get the screws put to them if the money some middle manager blows on some stupid idea interferes with everyone's bonuses....otherwise they blow millions,on ideas that the people who actually work,know right from the start,that its not going to work,but they will tell the lower managers.....make it work .....the PO just 6-7 years ago was something like an 80 billion dollar a year industry.....and yet these so called managers were still losing money.....and the PO is also a cash cow for Congress.....they owe them something like 60-70 billion dollars ......in the nineties we had a PMG who was a pretty wealthy and successful guy from the private sector who wanted to turn the PO into a successful business....his last name was Tisch i believe.....after only 6 months he resigned saying basically, im sorry,but you cant run an operation when you have to ask permission for everything you do,and it has to go through 3-4 Congressional committees,and years later you get a yes or no.....and those who are the yes or no people have no connection to the PO....and have no idea what goes on internally.....

With the volume of mail the post office pushes, they have an excellent on time delivery, Spoon.

I do business with the post office 6 days a week for most of my life. I have seldom had any complaints with them. I have had far more with the phone company, electric company, water company, etc.

My private garbage pickup is less reliable than that government ran post office.

Forum List

Back