Postal Hike...overuled...no increase.

I do business with the post office 6 days a week for most of my life. I have seldom had any complaints with them. I have had far more with the phone company, electric company, water company, etc.

My private garbage pickup is less reliable than that government ran post office.

and that is the way it is with most Business's .....we had a company across the street from our PO that was using FED EX.....after Fed delivered a bunch of items sent by the company to the wrong address....not once but twice.....well they lost that Companies Business.....so they fuck up to.....the UPS guy on my route shows me how many parcels per day he gets that are damaged so bad he doesnt want to deliver them....but he has to.....but they do decent work and so does the PO.....its only the constant complainers that seem to have these endless problems.....and all 3 delivery services have them......

Then why is a letter sized package mailed this past Monday from NJ to NC not here yet?
Look, don't try to convince me the USPS works efficiently.
BTW, with faxes, email, FedEx, UPS, video conferencing and courier services, the USPS is handling a lot less then it used to.

thats true....but its also true for Fed-X....they are losing business to Electronic mail also.....and the Parcel business is down for UPS....this all verified by the Drivers of the 2 services that deliver on my route......

Then defend the 6 billion dollars loss. This should prove interesting, if it can be called that.

they lose money because they dont have to answer to anyone like a board of stock holders......they only have to be accountable to themselves,and only get the screws put to them if the money some middle manager blows on some stupid idea interferes with everyone's bonuses....otherwise they blow millions,on ideas that the people who actually work,know right from the start,that its not going to work,but they will tell the lower managers.....make it work .....the PO just 6-7 years ago was something like an 80 billion dollar a year industry.....and yet these so called managers were still losing money.....and the PO is also a cash cow for Congress.....they owe them something like 60-70 billion dollars ......in the nineties we had a PMG who was a pretty wealthy and successful guy from the private sector who wanted to turn the PO into a successful business....his last name was Tisch i believe.....after only 6 months he resigned saying basically, im sorry,but you cant run an operation when you have to ask permission for everything you do,and it has to go through 3-4 Congressional committees,and years later you get a yes or no.....and those who are the yes or no people have no connection to the PO....and have no idea what goes on internally.....

Exactly.
At the Post Office you will not get into trouble for delaying mail, you can however get into trouble for breaking a rule that not only makes no sense, but the rule actually inhibits the movement of mail.
Dealing with the Post Office ranges from impossible to absolute tyranny.
Some of the floor managers are like little Nazi soldiers, terrible people who use their position to terrorize their own customers - and they will never-ever get into trouble for it as along as they are making you follow some insignificant rule that may not even apply to your mail.

Has anyone ever seen the "DMM" - Domestic Mail manual?
Holy hell - it is so big a single volume can't hold all of the regulations...therefore some over-compensated assclown can always find something "wrong" with your mail if he/she intends to.

Because they use contract carriers now.
What partial privatization will get ya.

Why would anyone want anything mailed from NJ to them anyway?
Cut the bullshit.
Yeah, government does everything so well.
And why the crack about New Jersey?
Is that your way of alerting me that your mind operates on a level of those known to frequent sandboxes?

I have spent time in Jersey, that is why the crack.
Personal preference?
here's your plastic bucket and shovel

No postage increase beyond rate of inflation. :clap2:

That is the good news...bad news is Obama will soon sign a $6,000,000,000 emergency bill to give to the Post Office so it can pay retiree benefits. :evil:

You see...the board also found the the Post Office woes are not due to the recession; they are due to employee compensation and benefits that are far and away better than the private sector.
The board also found that a postal increase will not stop the real problem: a pension fund that is immpossible to pay for.
Gee...maybe they should consider that an average of $27 per hour for someone to pass mail around is just a wee bit high..or excessive holidays that cause overtime might be an issue, or fantastic benefits better than the private sector...etc. etc. etc.

In 1971, the “Post Office Department” was turned into a quasi-governmental corporation, the US Postal Service, which has a federally mandated monopoly on regular mail delivery. The majority of the USPS board are presidential appointees. There are no government appropriations, and a ‘Postal Rate Commission’ that determines rates. In the ‘70’s the USPS tried to close 12,000 underperforming or underutilized post offices, but politicians amended the Postal Reorganization Act to prohibit the closings. In ’77 the same thing happened when the USPS tried to suspend Saturday delivery. The result lost $2.8 billion in ’08 and expects to lose another $3 to $6 billion in 2009.Who will ultimately be responsible for paying these debts? The taxpayer.

Such is it when government masquerades as free market entities.

Well..there is the problem of that 'pesky" US Constitution...

To establish Post Offices and Post Roads;

What exactly do conservatives really know about it?

Apparently only what their pundits tell them.

In 1971, the “Post Office Department” was turned into a quasi-governmental corporation, the US Postal Service, which has a federally mandated monopoly on regular mail delivery. The majority of the USPS board are presidential appointees. There are no government appropriations, and a ‘Postal Rate Commission’ that determines rates. In the ‘70’s the USPS tried to close 12,000 underperforming or underutilized post offices, but politicians amended the Postal Reorganization Act to prohibit the closings. In ’77 the same thing happened when the USPS tried to suspend Saturday delivery. The result lost $2.8 billion in ’08 and expects to lose another $3 to $6 billion in 2009.Who will ultimately be responsible for paying these debts? The taxpayer.

Such is it when government masquerades as free market entities.

To establish Post Offices and Post Roads;

Liberals should not be quoting the Constitution. It's embarassing.
If the USPS was doing it's job inexpensively and efficiently , we would not be having this discussion... Oh ,there would not be a need for UPS or Fed-Ex either.
I am waiting for the attacks on Fed Ex to come from the board union thugs.

If the USPS was doing it's job inexpensively and efficiently , we would not be having this discussion... Oh ,there would not be a need for UPS or Fed-Ex either.

Well excuse me, but fuck you. The Constitution does not belong to conservatives exclusively, nor do you get to disregard the parts you don't like.

Other than trying to demonstrate that you know nothing about the Constitution (most conservatives know nothing outside the Second Amendment)...

What is your point?

Well excuse me, but fuck you. The Constitution does not belong to conservatives exclusively, nor do you get to disregard the parts you don't like.

Yeah libs never pick and choose from the constitution.

Never ever.

Exactly.
At the Post Office you will not get into trouble for delaying mail, you can however get into trouble for breaking a rule that not only makes no sense, but the rule actually inhibits the movement of mail.
Dealing with the Post Office ranges from impossible to absolute tyranny.
Some of the floor managers are like little Nazi soldiers, terrible people who use their position to terrorize their own customers - and they will never-ever get into trouble for it as along as they are making you follow some insignificant rule that may not even apply to your mail.

yes you can get in trouble for delaying mail......and the floor managers you describe....they used to be like that with the workers,i have never seen any like that with customers.....now those guys are far and few between.....

I win!!!!

Harry Dresden - you're a postal carrier, right?

I bet you love this time of year, filling mailboxes with political lit, right? :D

Doc....Political mail is horrible....and should be banned....its a waste of time and resources....and so many of those bastards abuse their franking privileges .....it gets treated like first class mail but yet they pay Bulk Rate prices.....and it has to go when it comes in no matter how much is there.....i tell you they will curtail peoples checks to get this shit out if they have to.....and i know the OT they shell out at this time of the year to get this shit out exceeds what this mail pays in....we had 12 different sets arrive last Thursday along with the usual stuff.....i have 764 deliveries on my route.....at least around 70% of the people get this stuff.....it takes a while to stuff a multiple delivery box (gang boxes).....

and if their top managers had to answer to somebody that mattered....you bet, we would not be having this discussion......the people that ACTUALLY touch the mail know what they have to do and do it in spite of the Middle Managers stepping on every ones toes......the major problem with the PO is the jerks who make the decisions on how i should do my job.....even though most are clueless as to what it takes to get a route up and out the door and deliver it....and i have no problem with Fed-X or UPS.....i have enough shit to deliver......

Harry Dresden - you're a postal carrier, right?

I bet you love this time of year, filling mailboxes with political lit, right? :D

Doc....Political mail is horrible....and should be banned....its a waste of time and resources....and so many of those bastards abuse their franking privileges .....it gets treated like first class mail but yet they pay Bulk Rate prices.....and it has to go when it comes in no matter how much is there.....i tell you they will curtail peoples checks to get this shit out if they have to.....and i know the OT they shell out at this time of the year to get this shit out exceeds what this mail pays in....we had 12 different sets arrive last Thursday along with the usual stuff.....i have 764 deliveries on my route.....at least around 70% of the people get this stuff.....it takes a while to stuff a multiple delivery box (gang boxes).....
If the USPS eliminated bulk rates and other perks, there would be no mention of rate increases every 15 minutes

Other than trying to demonstrate that you know nothing about the Constitution (most conservatives know nothing outside the Second Amendment)...

What is your point?

come on Rw....there have been many a Lib here that are fairly clueless themselves when they chime in about the Document....it works both ways.....a few months back a new poster was bad mouthing the Conservatives here about their lack of knowledge about the Constitution and went on to tell us how much HE knew about it.....the dipshit was quoting the Declaration of Independence...:lol:...he got laughed off the board...i havent seen him back since.....

What is your point?

come on Rw....there have been many a Lib here that are fairly clueless themselves when they chime in about the Document....it works both ways.....a few months back a new poster was bad mouthing the Conservatives here about their lack of knowledge about the Constitution and went on to tell us how much HE knew about it.....the dipshit was quoting the Declaration of Independence...:lol:...he got laughed off the board...i havent seen him back since.....
That's REALLY embarrassing.
No I have a link to the US COnstitution saved as a favorite. http://topics.law.cornell.edu/constitution... I refer to it all the time.
Look, Obama knows he cannot install his policies legislatively. He has over 50 "czars" he has appointed. There is no provision for that in the US Consitution. Much of Obama's decsions have been unilateral and represent political fiat.
Obama has threatened that if Congress does not pass cap and trade he will sign an executive order giving the EPA broad powers to regulate carbon emissions. So at the end of the day Obama gets to raise enrgey prices which is exactly what (knee) cap and (tax) trade does.
The left looks at the US Constitution as a roadblock to their agenda. That's a fact.

Last edited:
Keeping the rate increase to inflation basically ignores the real problem at the Postal Service. You either have to pay more for six delivery or reduce the number of days you deliver. More efficiency in delivery is needed. The place is about as automated as you can make it. Reducing overtime and staff is the only way. I think Harry has mentioned the Postal Service is adminstartively top heavy too. I'd tend to believe him.

Obama has threatened that if Congress does not pass cap and trade he will sign an executive order giving the EPA broad powers to regulate carbon emissions.

No, the EPA was ordered by the Supreme Court to either regulate greenhouse gas emissions or provide a compelling reason why it could not do so. Obama doesn't need to sign an EO to give the EPA powers that Congress gave it two decades ago through the Clean Air Act.

Forum List

Back