Postal Hike...overuled...no increase.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
No postage increase beyond rate of inflation. :clap2:

That is the good news...bad news is Obama will soon sign a $6,000,000,000 emergency bill to give to the Post Office so it can pay retiree benefits. :evil:

You see...the board also found the the Post Office woes are not due to the recession; they are due to employee compensation and benefits that are far and away better than the private sector.
The board also found that a postal increase will not stop the real problem: a pension fund that is immpossible to pay for.
Gee...maybe they should consider that an average of $27 per hour for someone to pass mail around is just a wee bit high..or excessive holidays that cause overtime might be an issue, or fantastic benefits better than the private sector...etc. etc. etc.

That is the good news...bad news is Obama will soon sign a $6,000,000,000 emergency bill to give to the Post Office so it can pay retiree benefits. :evil:

You see...the board also found the the Post Office woes are not due to the recession; they are due to employee compensation and benefits that are far and away better than the private sector.
The board also found that a postal increase will not stop the real problem: a pension fund that is immpossible to pay for.
Gee...maybe they should consider that an average of $27 per hour for someone to pass mail around is just a wee bit high..or excessive holidays that cause overtime might be an issue, or fantastic benefits better than the private sector...etc. etc. etc.

In 1971, the “Post Office Department” was turned into a quasi-governmental corporation, the US Postal Service, which has a federally mandated monopoly on regular mail delivery. The majority of the USPS board are presidential appointees. There are no government appropriations, and a ‘Postal Rate Commission’ that determines rates. In the ‘70’s the USPS tried to close 12,000 underperforming or underutilized post offices, but politicians amended the Postal Reorganization Act to prohibit the closings. In ’77 the same thing happened when the USPS tried to suspend Saturday delivery. The result lost $2.8 billion in ’08 and expects to lose another $3 to $6 billion in 2009.Who will ultimately be responsible for paying these debts? The taxpayer.

Such is it when government masquerades as free market entities.

In 1971, the “Post Office Department” was turned into a quasi-governmental corporation, the US Postal Service, which has a federally mandated monopoly on regular mail delivery. The majority of the USPS board are presidential appointees. There are no government appropriations, and a ‘Postal Rate Commission’ that determines rates. In the ‘70’s the USPS tried to close 12,000 underperforming or underutilized post offices, but politicians amended the Postal Reorganization Act to prohibit the closings. In ’77 the same thing happened when the USPS tried to suspend Saturday delivery. The result lost $2.8 billion in ’08 and expects to lose another $3 to $6 billion in 2009.Who will ultimately be responsible for paying these debts? The taxpayer.

Absolutely.
However these things do pale to compare to USPS's real problems.
85% of the service's cost is wages and compensation. 85%!
So trying to solve thier problem by doing away with other wasteful things only addresses 15% of their expenses.
They must reduce employee compensation and retirement benefits...but GOD forbid that!! Nooooooo...and certainly not under this administration is that going to happen.

Absolutely.
So trying to solve thier problem by doing away with other wasteful things only addresses 15% of their expenses.
They must reduce employee compensation and retirement benefits...but GOD forbid that!! Nooooooo...and certainly not under this administration is that going to happen.

Thing is, it should have been done long before this administration.

hey clueless....since like 1984 ALL Postal employees hired after that date are on SS.....and NO Carrier gets 27 bucks an hour....AND i would love to see you come in and put a route up and get your fat ass out there and deliver said route.... and the US Congress owes the PO around 50 billion dollars for all the times they took money made by the PO for their own little projects....you sound like the PO management at Contract time....its always the carriers and clerks fault.....NEVER the assholes who run the place and waste MILLIONS of dollars on schemes to deliver mail that never work....always the dipshits on the outside looking in....and believing what they hear or read....amazing....

I don't really give a shit...as long as I don't have to buy a whole shitload of 2 cent stamps! Those things are a pain in my tight anus!

Absolutely.
:lol:......you havent got a clue to what your talking about.....if you worked just 6 months in the place....you would never think again what you just said.....you are what you seem.....clueless.....and they have reduced retirement benifits moron.....starting in around 1984.....

Absolutely.
:lol:......you havent got a clue to what your talking about.....if you worked just 6 months in the place....you would never think again what you just said.....you are what you seem.....clueless.....and they have reduced retirement benifits moron.....starting in around 1984.....and they have reduced the amount of workers......

Ahh yes those govt retirement costs that are eating our lunch.
what difference is there between govt retirement benefits and Union retirement benefits?

Govt retirees have better benefits and you pay for it out of taxes.

Last edited:
The USPS is the posterchild for inefficiency in business. UPS and FedEx both are more efficient, cheaper, and more reliable.

Is it only a coincidence that UPS and FedEx have to make a profit while the USPS can run a deficit with the never ending well of taxpayer subsidies?

One would be hard-pressed to find a more inefficient and poorly run business than the USPS, in any sector. "Going postal" exists as a part of our language because of cluster fuck that is the USPS.

The USPS is the posterchild for inefficiency in business. UPS and FedEx both are more efficient, cheaper, and more reliable.

Is it only a coincidence that UPS and FedEx have to make a profit while the USPS can run a deficit with the never ending well of taxpayer subsidies?

One would be hard-pressed to find a more inefficient and poorly run business than the USPS, in any sector. "Going postal" exists as a part of our language because of cluster fuck that is the USPS.

Umm UPS and FedEx do not have to visit every address in America 6 days a week.
I see either a Fedex or UPS truck on my road about once a week.
They both sucked the gravy business from the USPS.
Neither Fedex nor UPS would be able to send a letter for under .50 each.

Last edited:

The post office will pick a letter up at my house and deliver it to my brother in California less than a week later for 44 cents. I would not deliver a letter across town for that.

They have a mandate to deliver mail to all Americans regardless of how unprofitable it may be

UPS and FED X are not cheaper.....and believe me they are no more reliable.....i have had people show me as many of their fuckups as the PO's.....and its not a coincidence that those two have to make a profit....they are private entities, while the PO is mandated by Congress to hopefully break even......the PO pays its own way and has not been tax supported since the 70's.....and compared to the other govt branches the PO is the only one that generates money.....do you guys look things up before you post this shit?

The post office will pick a letter up at my house and deliver it to my brother in California less than a week later for 44 cents. I would not deliver a letter across town for that.

They have a mandate to deliver mail to all Americans regardless of how unprofitable it may be

and im sure our two uninformed posters here will say.....SO??

Damn, Harry, That avatar really looks like you did back in the day. Incredible likeness, makes me want to go to a Pink Floyd concert. :cool:

Damn, Harry, That avatar really looks like you did back in the day. Incredible likeness, makes me want to go to a Pink Floyd concert. :cool:

i get mistaken for Sheik Yerbouti whenever i go down to the Middle Eastern Cafe to get some Couscous.....i just play along.....

I remember when the post office was one of the few things Liberals could point to as something the Government ran well.

So much for that delusion

Actually their mandate was originally intended that they would be self sufficient. Nobody said anything about no matter how unprofitable it was.

You would deliver that Letter for 44 cents. if 100,000 other people also gave you letters to deliver on the way wouldn't you? lol Or do you think they only send one letter per truck :)

Forum List

Back