Post your Swing State prediction map...4/17/2012

Romney isnt going to win New Mexico if he does that will be somewhat of a surprise. I'm a little surprised that some are giving Romney Wi. too. I would think with the Walker issue there, that President Obama wouldn't have much trouble there, although I have not seen any polls saying otherwise. The one state that I've heard a lot about is Va. though and Co.

I would be pretty surprised if Romney took New Mexico. Now if he selects Martinez as his running mate...ok now that would probably flip the state but considering where we are now I would agree that Romney taking New Mexico or Wisconsin is a pretty aggressive prediction.

Romney isnt going to win New Mexico if he does that will be somewhat of a surprise. I'm a little surprised that some are giving Romney Wi. too. I would think with the Walker issue there, that President Obama wouldn't have much trouble there, although I have not seen any polls saying otherwise. The one state that I've heard a lot about is Va. though and Co.

I would argue that it's particularly the Walker issue that's going to draw alot of Romney support out.

I would be pretty surprised if Romney took New Mexico. Now if he selects Martinez as his running mate...ok now that would probably flip the state but considering where we are now I would agree that Romney taking New Mexico or Wisconsin is a pretty aggressive prediction.

I think if Gary Johnson is going to have any effect on this race it's going to be in New Mexico, where he's a popular former-Governor. If it were close between Romney and Obama in NM then Johnson could tip it to Obama, but I don't think it will be close in the first place. Obama would win NM without Johnson in the race, but I think with him in it'll be that much more decisive.

Martinez would be a pretty bold pick for Romney too for a running mate, and a little outside the box as well. On a personal level Romney would be well served finding a running mate that doesn't overshadow him like Sen. McCains. I don't see him picking Martinez though because it doesn't bring enough to the electoral table as say a Bob McDonnell does, then again, there is a little baggage there to deal with too. So who knows.

I would argue that it's particularly the Walker issue that's going to draw alot of Romney support out.

it's possible. In 2000 and 2004 things were pretty close. They always seem to be right on the edge but they haven't gone to the GOP since Reagan in 1984. I expect it to be tight in Wisconsin this year because I do think voters will be highly energized in that state, but I would say the odds that WI will go to Romney are maybe two chances in five

Martinez would be a pretty bold pick for Romney too for a running mate, and a little outside the box as well. On a personal level Romney would be well served finding a running mate that doesn't overshadow him like Sen. McCains. I don't see him picking Martinez though because it doesn't bring enough to the electoral table as say a Bob McDonnell does, then again, there is a little baggage there to deal with too. So who knows.

I tend to agree. I think it will probably come down to either Rubio or Portman. Until recently I have said Rubio will probably get the call but recently I am starting to think Portman would be more likely as he will draw a lot of support in the ultra-critical state of Ohio.

I tend to think that at least from what we see here on the news there is a lot of anger directed in Gov. Walkers direction and that would serve to bring out support for the President. I don't see Romney getting cozy with Gov. Walker anytime soon though until this issue has been resolved. I would tend to think that once the special election has determined the result, when is it by the way sometime in June? I would tend to think that if Gov. Walker prevails then Romneys chances in Wi. look a little better than they do now.

I tend to agree. I think it will probably come down to either Rubio or Portman. Until recently I have said Rubio will probably get the call but recently I am starting to think Portman would be more likely as he will draw a lot of support in the ultra-critical state of Ohio.

I think picking Portman is the only way Romney has a chance to win Ohio. Kasich essentially handed the state to Obama with SB5.

I tend to think that at least from what we see here on the news there is a lot of anger directed in Gov. Walkers direction and that would serve to bring out support for the President. I don't see Romney getting cozy with Gov. Walker anytime soon though until this issue has been resolved. I would tend to think that once the special election has determined the result, when is it by the way sometime in June? I would tend to think that if Gov. Walker prevails then Romneys chances in Wi. look a little better than they do now.

How somebody feels about their governor is not indicative of how they'll vote for president. They are an entirely different set of issues. It's very commonplace for a governor and president of opposite parties to be elected in the same election.

You know, I think Fl. is pretty much a given for Romney this time around from everything I have seen. There seems to be a lot of support for ther GOP this time around in Fl. So a Rubio pick would not serve Romney anything other than to perhaps shore up support for the hispanic votes, so I tend to think it will be someone like Portman. Which reminds me, I think Mitch Daniels would be a good pick for him as well. I do think if he really wanted to do outside the box and shake things up he would pick J.C. Watts.

It will, of course, make a difference who he chooses as a running mate. He has trouble with the women vote and hispanic vote as of now.
What happens if Ron Paul stays in the race as an independent?

Last edited:
You know, I think Fl. is pretty much a given for Romney this time around from everything I have seen. There seems to be a lot of support for ther GOP this time around in Fl. So a Rubio pick would not serve Romney anything other than to perhaps shore up support for the hispanic votes, so I tend to think it will be someone like Portman. Which reminds me, I think Mitch Daniels would be a good pick for him as well. I do think if he really wanted to do outside the box and shake things up he would pick J.C. Watts.

I don't think Romney would even consider Watts. Too controversial a pick. Romney isn't going to be controversial with his picks. He's going to play it safe.

I think if Gary Johnson is going to have any effect on this race it's going to be in New Mexico, where he's a popular former-Governor. If it were close between Romney and Obama in NM then Johnson could tip it to Obama, but I don't think it will be close in the first place. Obama would win NM without Johnson in the race, but I think with him in it'll be that much more decisive.

Agreed, but then I go back to the impact on the electoral map, which its my humble opinion that Romney would be more interested in picking someone who is going to impact large swing state voters more so than N.M. I do however agree with you that he would make the state in play.

It will, of course, make a difference who he chooses as a running mate. He has trouble with the women vote and hispanic vote as of now.
What happens if Ron Paul stays in the race as an independent?

I dont thik he is going to have nearly as much trouble with women or hispanics as the left and media like to pretend.

If Ron Paul stays in the race, I see him pulling votes from Obama as well. If not moreso than Romney

I don't think Romney would even consider Watts. Too controversial a pick. Romney isn't going to be controversial with his picks. He's going to play it safe.

Agreed, and as I stated earlier I like you think he will choose someone who is going to be not only safe but also someone who won't overshadow him.

Can't help but being a little sarcastic, but when Palin was picked as a running mate in 2008, it became clear who had issues with women... :)

Agreed, but then I go back to the impact on the electoral map, which its my humble opinion that Romney would be more interested in picking someone who is going to impact large swing state voters more so than N.M. I do however agree with you that he would make the state in play.

No, I don't think Johnson would make the state in play, because he's running for the Libertarian Party nomination so he's certainly not going to be Mitt's VP. I'm saying that even if Mitt was competitive, by himself, in New Mexico, Johnson's inclusion on the ballot would tip it to Obama, but I don't think Mitt will be competitive in NM in the first place.

Forum List

Back