Post Your Favorite Irish Tune (on St Patty's Day)

Live TV version of The Mouseskin Shoe / Dancing at Allihies by Dónal Lunny's band Coolfin (Nollaig Casey, the composer, on violin...)

Robbie O'Connell, Mick Moloney and James Keane, a song of the expatriation experience from the POV of a family in transition --- based on a real series of letters written home

The structure is similar to traditional American Bluegrass, with the alternation between lead singing, chorus singing, and the music solos.

Nice. Really nice.

We get some really music shows on NPR and one of them, Shamrock and Thistle I think, did a segment on American music, including Blue Grass. They said it originated from the music brought by Irish and Scottish immigrants who settled in large numbers in the mountains of Appalachia.

Kate Bush w/ Dónal Lunny

--- and Dónal Lunny (and Planxty) with Kate Bush

Jig = 6/8 tme (say "pineapple apricot pineapple apricot")

("Planxty" means "in honor of" and commonly affixed to tribute tunes as in "Planxty Fanny Power")

The structure is similar to traditional American Bluegrass, with the alternation between lead singing, chorus singing, and the music solos.

Nice. Really nice.

We get some really music shows on NPR and one of them, Shamrock and Thistle I think, did a segment on American music, including Blue Grass. They said it originated from the music brought by Irish and Scottish immigrants who settled in large numbers in the mountains of Appalachia.

Absolutely true. Here's a Scottish tune called "De'il (Devil) among the Tailors" commonly known in the US in virtually the same form as "Devil's Dream" and common in the repertoire of any bluegrass band

You are quite a musical scholar Pogo!

I'm one of the few people I know who's been part of both a Scottish strathspey-and-reel band, and a Brazilian percussion band. My two muse-nodes :) And of course all those years playing both on the radio.

Even used to dog-sit for Mick Moloney up in post 45. A German Shepherd named "Clancy". :lol:

When our Scottish ensemble played "De'il Among the Tailors" I'd just play my part as "Devil's Dream" for a layer of complexity --- the difference is only a couple of notes at the end of the phrase, otherwise it's identical.

Last edited:
I'm one of the few people I know who's been part of both a Scottish strathspey-and-reel band, and a Brazilian percussion band. My two muse-nodes :) And of course all those years playing both on the radio.

Even used to dog-sit for Mick Moloney up in post 45. A German Shepherd named "Clancy". :lol:

When our Scottish ensemble played "De'il Among the Tailors" I'd just play my part as "Devil's Dream" for a layer of complexity --- the difference is only a couple of notes at the end of the phrase, otherwise it's identical.
Do you know 2 Scottish tunes called "Sweet Molly".......and ......"the Mullin Dhu" ?

I'm a bluegrass musician (mandolin, fiddle, and guitar), and have played professionally for 44 years. Irish and Scottish music did have an influence on the creation of Bluegrass by Bill Monroe & the Bluegrass boys in 1945, but BG (traditional) is still actually a true American art form, with its own consistent structure, and is very heavily influenced by the blues also.

Anyone who has ever tried to make the transition from playing Irish and American fiddle (ie dance) tunes to Bluegrass (as I did), knows the shock of suddenly having to really put some improvisation and creativity into their fiddling, rather than just playing a rote tune according to its prescribed melody.

Bluegrass is an interesting combination of Country, Folk, and Jazz.

Do you know 2 Scottish tunes called "Sweet Molly".......and ......"the Mullin Dhu" ?

I do not, why don't you post them. :)

Molly seems to me more common in Ireland than Scotland. This is one I used to play a lot --- a "contemporary" composition rather than a trad tune, but over a century old ...

I'm a bluegrass musician (mandolin, fiddle, and guitar), and have played professionally for 44 years. Irish and Scottish music did have an influence on the creation of Bluegrass by Bill Monroe & the Bluegrass boys in 1945, but BG (traditional) is still actually a true American art form, with its own consistent structure, and is very heavily influenced by the blues also.

Anyone who has ever tried to make the transition from playing Irish and American fiddle (ie dance) tunes to Bluegrass (as I did), knows the shock of suddenly having to really put some improvisation and creativity into their fiddling, rather than just playing a rote tune according to its prescribed melody.

Bluegrass is an interesting combination of Country, Folk, and Jazz.

I've never played Celtic music WITHOUT improvisation and ventures outside the prescribed box.

Perhaps what you're trying to say is that bluegrass features rounds of solos much more than traditional Celtic music does. It's like I tell people who don't see the difference between"country" and "bluegrass" --- you have to be an actual musician to play bluegrass. :rock:

I've never played Celtic music WITHOUT improvisation and ventures outside the prescribed box.

Perhaps what you're trying to say is that bluegrass features rounds of solos much more than traditional Celtic music does. It's like I tell people who don't see the difference between"country" and "bluegrass" --- you have to be an actual musician to play bluegrass. :rock:

Indeed you do. I wouldn't say playing the dance tunes (Irish r American) isn't being a musician, I play many of them on the fiddle & mandolin, but they don't ordinarily have the extra personal input of bluegrass. The same can be said of rock music soloing. I also play rock guitar, and it's loaded with improv. Jimi Hendrix rarely played his solos the same way every time.

Rock and bluegrass are listening music primarily. The fiddle tunes are dance music.

Forum List

Back