Possible Record Cold Coming

I sure hope this isn't a preview of what's to come for the winter.

Looks like even parts of Florida are going to get cold.

Everyone needs to bundle up. It's getting cold out there.

Up to 170 cities are predicted to get record lows for this time of year.

My area won't get it but mountain roads are already closed here. The last almost 3 miles of Mt. Baker road closed at the beginning of last month. Same with several other mountain roads.

Looks like winter has come early this year.

Next week's Arctic blast will be so cold, forecasters expect it to break 170 records across US

Next week's Arctic blast will be so cold, forecasters expect it to break 170 records across US

7ce82040-5624-492b-8e36-42a49a1ca594-cent02-77v13kleaw13epkejws_original.jpg

The front will plunge quickly through the northern Plains and upper Midwest Sunday, into the southern Plains and Ohio Valley Monday, then through most of the East Coast and Deep South by Tuesday, the Weather Channel said.

High temperatures on Monday may be stuck in the teens and 20s in the Midwest and around the Great Lakes. It could be the coldest Veterans Day on record in cities such as Chicago and Minneapolis, according to the Weather Channel.

More @ Weather forecast: Arctic blast next week to hit Midwest, East, South

Brrrrr. I’m gonna get out my jacket. We’re expecting temperatures of 78° here in Las Vegas this weekend.

All next week too!
The golf courses are busy.

You shouldn't lie to children like that. But hey, that's what you religious folks are best at, after all.
STFU Retard .. :cuckoo:

I remember well the 1970's media panic because the experts were predicting the coming Ice Age that was going to doom humanity.

That didn't pan out, so now they've reversed course and are trying to foist the global warming scam on the public. ... :cool:

I remember well the 1970's media panic because the experts were predicting the coming Ice Age that was going to doom humanity
No you don't, idiot. That's a shameless, stupid lie that you didn't start parroting until some paid denier liar fed it to you about 15 years ago.

No you don't, idiot. That's a shameless, stupid lie that you didn't start parroting until some paid denier liar fed it to you about 15 years ago.
Incorrect Poindexter

I was around during the 1970's and saw the media frenzy about the coming Ice Age first hand.

You on the other hand, are a liberal lemming that doesn't have a clue about what went on during that time period. ... :cool:

I was around during the 1970's and saw the media frenzy about the coming Ice Age first hand.
Nah, you're a shameless liar. You are regurgitating false talking points fed to you by paid liars. But you're not getting paid. Just embarrassing yourself.

Record cold snaps are almost always caused by variations in the jet stream. The stream is fueled by the temperature difference between the northern and southern latitudes. The arctic is warming faster than the tropics. This means less temperature difference (less fuel) and a weaker stream. The weaker stream is more prone to wandering, letting cold arctic air masses come much further south than usual. Poof! Record cold temperatures. The same phenomenon is responsible for record heat waves in Alaska and Canada when the stream wanders north.

That makes sense ... I seem to remember reading a paper about this (do you remember the author's name?) ... these waves in the jet stream would have a higher amplitude and slower progression ... but this is a two-edged sword; inclement weather will be more inclement and last longer, but fair weather will be fairer and again last longer ... these are averages, which produce the larger wandering due to less power (less fuel), but today the Arctic is getting colder than the tropics, returning the power and driving the existing wander further south ... if by chance this has not happened on these dates before, then we set record lows for that date ... the better metric is comparing these lows to the records two weeks fore and aft, closer to a monthly record low ...

I do think you're wrong about the Polar Front being driven further south than usual ... usual means all the way to the Gulf Coast and stopped by the Gulf's sub-tropical waters off-shore ... not that the front doesn't push further, infamously the morning of the Challenger tragedy; although infrequent, still usual ... unusual being snowfall in Havana ...

The corollary to this Arctic Amplification is that it's not just the jet streams that will be weaker, all the large-scale flow patterns will be weaker ... less of a temperature difference weakens the forces driving warm tropical air towards the poles and cold polar air towards the equator ... thus lower average power in the atmosphere ... the probabilities of more powerful weather events become less likely ...

What I like best about your explanation is that not only is it theoretically sound, we have empirical data to back it up ... a case where statistics sends us to the right place to look, and we seemed to have found it ... good science ...

I sure hope this isn't a preview of what's to come for the winter.

Looks like even parts of Florida are going to get cold.

Everyone needs to bundle up. It's getting cold out there.

Up to 170 cities are predicted to get record lows for this time of year.

My area won't get it but mountain roads are already closed here. The last almost 3 miles of Mt. Baker road closed at the beginning of last month. Same with several other mountain roads.

Looks like winter has come early this year.

It's a preview.
We started embarking on an Ice Age last year.
Wrap those pipes.

I hope not. I have never liked cold.

I have a vacation house by Mt. Rainier. We have had to build the water system so that it will drain all the water out when the water is turned off. We then put anti freeze in the toilet and turn all the faucets on so the pipes or the toilet doesn't freeze.

It's a pain to do but if we don't do it, pipes freeze, the toilet bursts. Not fun. No amount of wrapping pipes will work there.

I learnt my lesson years ago when I was going away for a while and figured I should drain the pipes and turn the pump off (water is served by a spring with an electric pump) instead of just leaving a tap running. Came to find out that water has to be flushed out of the pipes, or it will sit inside them, freeze and blow up down in the basement, which is what they did. That's when I converted everything to Pex Pipe so that won't happen any more.

I've heard of people pouring antifreeze down the drain but that makes no sense. Besides pouring deadly poison into the water table, I don't believe there's such a thing as an exploded toilet. I've seen a frozen toilet (on the surface) but those pipes go straight underground anyway and they're not under any pressure, and the toilet surface is open so it's not confined to a space like a pipe is. I have a friend here who does that and I've convinced her to stop doing it. She does flush her pipes out though (with compressed air). I just leave a tap running a trickle.

There are types of anti freeze that aren't made for cars. It's made for pipes. Instead of being that green color and thick, it's pink and thin. It's made especially for pipes without all the toxic chemicals as car anti freeze.

I learned the hard way years ago. We turned the water off but didn't have the system to drain the water out of the pipes and we didn't put anti freeze in the toilet. The pipes and toilet froze with the toilet breaking.

It was then we installed the system to drain the pipes. We haven't had that problem since.

This is a place where if it starts snowing, leave. Fast. Because within an hour or so you can no longer leave. I've been snowbound there more than once through the years. One year while snowbound a snow plow came, or tried to come plow the streets. It got stuck in the snow. So another larger one was sent to get it unstuck in the snow. That second plow got stuck. It wasn't until a third gigantic plow thing with tires many times my size came to pull the plows out. He also pulled our cars out too so we could finally leave after being snowbound for 4 days.

Last edited:
these waves in the jet stream would have a higher amplitude and slower progression ... but this is a two-edged sword; inclement weather will be more inclement and last longer, but fair weather will be fairer and again last longer .
Not the best way of looking at it. For one, the weather is only "inclement" due to the temperature gradient between the regions. And the weakened jet stream would be more prone to being disturbed more often, allowing cold air to dip over more southerly regions, as we are seeing now.

Is it "inclement" weather to get 80 degree heat waves in Alaska? Alaskans probably would not say so.

Nah, you're a shameless liar. You are regurgitating false talking points fed to you by paid liars. But you're not getting paid. Just embarrassing yourself.
My parents subscribed to Time magazine and I clearly remember seeing the covers depicting the coming Ice Age and the perilous times ahead for humanity. ... :cool:
Nah, another lie.

And now one magazine has become "the media". And a tiny percentage of scientists -- only one, in fact, when it comes to the article you never knew about until 15 years about and are shamelessly lying about remembering -- becomes "all the scientists".

Shameless lies. Are you going to post the fake TIME covers, now? I bet you are thinking about it.

I remember well the 1970's media panic because the experts were predicting the coming Ice Age that was going to doom humanity

I remember it too!
Like it was yesterday.....
Nah, you're lying, too.
Time_magazine_ice_age_cover_fb.jpg

Fart Fun Indy owes a whole bunch of us an apology!!!

I remember it too!
Nah, you're lying, too.

I'm sorry that you are a shameless liar. I mean that honestly...you people are a global embarrassment to this country.

I remember it too!
Nah, you're lying, too.

I'm sorry that you are a shameless liar. I mean that honestly...you people are a global embarrassment to this country.

Apologize Fartmeister.

And now one magazine has become "the media". And a tiny percentage of scientists -- only one, in fact, when it comes to the article you never knew about until 15 years about and are shamelessly lying about remembering -- becomes "all the scientists". Shameless lies. Are you going to post the fake TIME covers, now? I bet you are thinking about it.
You are a pathetic Obamabot who buys into the "settled science" nonsense force fed to you by your liberal loon masters. ... :cuckoo: .. :lol: :lol:

You really , really are uneducated, particularly to claim how educated you supposedly are. Sorry, just the facts. No need for a rebuttal. I already know exactly what it would be. ;)

Forum List

Back