Pork Barrel Spending

Sep 15, 2008
I think Obama made a good point when he said that pork barrel spending is not as serious of an issue as McCain makes it out to be. $18 billion out of a $2.66 trillion dollar budget (less then 1% of the budget). I understand the principle that McCain wants to bring up, but in the overall scheme of the world right now, it is just not that important. It just seems like McCain keeps bringing up a non-issue in a time when our economy should be his main focus.

Agree/Disagree? Thoughts?

I think Obama made a good point when he said that pork barrel spending is not as serious of an issue as McCain makes it out to be. $18 billion out of a $2.66 trillion dollar budget (less then 1% of the budget). I understand the principle that McCain wants to bring up, but in the overall scheme of the world right now, it is just not that important. It just seems like McCain keeps bringing up a non-issue in a time when our economy should be his main focus.

18 billion dollars worth of pork is plenty incentive for crooks to run for office.

18 billion dollars worth of pork is plenty incentive for crooks to run for office.

Very good point, never looked at it like that. Still don't really see it as a serious campaign issue, but I see what your saying. In the long run it should definitely be cut out.

$18 billion in pork vs $700 billion wasted on Iraq.

You do the math.

Yup, Obama is all for change, change back to doing everything the old fashioned way, quietly with out telling the taxpayers and voters who is creating and spending billions of dollars and pork barrel projects.

18 billion..... just send that pittance to me since it is so minor.

Yup, Obama is all for change, change back to doing everything the old fashioned way, quietly with out telling the taxpayers and voters who is creating and spending billions of dollars and pork barrel projects.

18 billion..... just send that pittance to me since it is so minor.

We are sending it to you.

Every month.

Once again you RETARD. I receive payment from a CONTRACT I fulfilled. It is payment for services rendered and it is all in WRITING. But hey any lie will do right?

Every month for the rest of your life.

Government check after government check.

It's amazing to me.

Not a 'non-issue', but its a small issue. I would still like to see legislation riders and earmarks die a quick death as a concept, mostly because of the favoritism they foment, but we have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Small, but big enough that if McCain had listened to himself at the first debate and 'vetoed' the bail-out because of the riders and earmarks via his vote in the senate, I might've switched teams.

-Joe

Every month for the rest of your life.

Government check after government check.

It's amazing to me.

It is called retirement dumb ass. It is called compensation for disabilities suffered while serving you dumb fuck.

I am unable to work and so I am compensated PER the CONTRACT I served under. Just like any private citizen would be if a private employer had given them a similar CONTRACT.

In fact it seems you are now claiming anyone that receives retirement or disability pay from any legally binding contract is actually cheating their employer by collecting what they were promised in writing.

Of course I am subject to a change if Congress rewrites the law after the fact and changes the Contract AFTER the fact. Yes that is right, Congress could renege on promises they made even in writing, any time they want.

Until they do my faithful service to my Country as a Marine ensures I will continue to receive retired pay and disability pay right up to the moment I die. As PER a Contract of service between me and the Marine Corps.

We are sending it to you.

Every month.

Please don't attack the benefits that the good Sarge receives as part of his commitment to put his fucking ass on the line while dumbshits like you sit behind the computer and don't lift a fucking finger to help this country. I don't agree with the Sarge on much, but to attack his service and the benefits he receives as part of his service is disgusting. Do you have any clue as to how many military families are on food stamps because they have absolute shit for salaries? Do you know how many stories I've heard of soldiers intentionally running into enemey fire and getting their limbs blown off just so the government would actually give their families a reasonable income? The way this country treats its military service is incouragable and for you to sit there and complain about him receiving ANYTHING is absolutely disgusting. Let's see you put your little liberal neck out there on the line in front the Mullah's and Al Queda in Iraq or Afghanistan THEN you can fucking come back onto this board and tell him he doesn't deserve every single motherloving penny he receives.

Goddamn you liberals piss me off sometimes.

Until they do my faithful service to my Country as a Marine ensures I will continue to receive retired pay and disability pay right up to the moment I die. As PER a Contract of service between me and the Marine Corps.

I'm sure you heard this before, but I used to work in retail sales and I worked with, for weeks, a gentleman about to be shipped off to Iraq. He let me in on a very funny little joke you guys, the marines have.

What does ARMY stand for?

Ain't Ready to be a Marine Yet.

Please don't attack the benefits that the good Sarge receives as part of his commitment to put his fucking ass on the line while dumbshits like you sit behind the computer and don't lift a fucking finger to help this country. I don't agree with the Sarge on much, but to attack his service and the benefits he receives as part of his service is disgusting. Do you have any clue as to how many military families are on food stamps because they have absolute shit for salaries? Do you know how many stories I've heard of soldiers intentionally running into enemey fire and getting their limbs blown off just so the government would actually give their families a reasonable income? The way this country treats its military service is incouragable and for you to sit there and complain about him receiving ANYTHING is absolutely disgusting. Let's see you put your little liberal neck out there on the line in front the Mullah's and Al Queda in Iraq or Afghanistan THEN you can fucking come back onto this board and tell him he doesn't deserve every single motherloving penny he receives.

Goddamn you liberals piss me off sometimes.

The military is just another government job. Only a very small percentage of military ever go into combat. I know military retirees here who are on disability who aren't disabled at all, but I have to send them my money every month for the rest of their lives.

The military is just another government job. Only a very small percentage of military ever go into combat. I know military retirees here who are on disability who aren't disabled at all, but I have to send them my money every month for the rest of their lives.

The entire United States military is at war right now in two different countries. Over 30,000 of our troops have been injured, over 7,000 of them seriously. Are you suggesting that our current united states military is "just another job?" You play it down as if it's nothing and it's so simple. If so, I invite you to sign up to be a Marine on THIS website.

Marine Corps Officer Home | U.S. Marine Corps Officer Candidate's Guide

The entire United States military is at war right now in two different countries. Over 30,000 of our troops have been injured, over 7,000 of them seriously. Are you suggesting that our current united states military is "just another job?" You play it down as if it's nothing and it's so simple. If so, I invite you to sign up to be a Marine on THIS website.

Marine Corps Officer Home | U.S. Marine Corps Officer Candidate's Guide

I have a better idea. Why don't we bring the troops home and put them on the Mexican border where they can do some good defending this country?

I have a better idea. Why don't we bring the troops home and put them on the Mexican border where they can do some good defending this country?

Why are you changing the subject? Your assertion was that being a Marine was just another government job. It sounds really simple according to you. So if it's so simple, why don't you do it?

Why are you changing the subject? Your assertion was that being a Marine was just another government job. It sounds really simple according to you. So if it's so simple, why don't you do it?

I did not say being a Marine was just another government job, I said being in the military is a government job.

A government check is a government check.

A Letter from an American Soldier in the Revolution
Bascon Ridge Ospitreal
Honoured parents
I have taken this opertunyty to let you know what misfortue I met with on the seventh Ult A party of the Enemy Came to Elisebeth town [and] ma[r]ched to the Conecticut Farms We lay at Newark Mountain A Bout twelve oclock at Night we was Alarmed and Marched to the farms and about Sun Rise We Etacted them the Jersey Berguade and there was a Bout five thousand of them we kept up a hot fire about fore hours and in the atact was wounded Col Ogden of the forth Regt and a number of Soldiers kild and wounded and I got a Wound in the head very Bad But I am in hopes With the Assistance of god that I Shall git wel again.…

Sonomore at preseant
But Remain your Loving Son
Henery Johnson But I desir to Be Remembered to all Enquirering friends

Chris, when you say that the men and women who have fought and served this country do not deserve what they have rightfully earned you not only disrespect them, you also disrespect yourself. You want to know why?, the reason is simple these men and women serve a cause greater than themselves and over the last 200 plus years they have done so in places all over the world. Men and women like me asked nothing in return, save that which was rightfully promised us. The same people I told you the other day that give coastal communties early warning when the Naval Aviator flys into a hurricane risking his or her life to save others. The Marine who at the tomb of the unknown soilder who for 365 days a year walks a post in rain, and snow and cold, to watch over the memories of fallen comrades. We don't as for much other than what which was promised us. I have stood on the shoulders of giants Chris of all those who came before me, some who don't even have names anymore, but all with a common cause to give you and I the rights we so enjoy in this beloved country. So when you say a that we take with giving you disrespect all those who came before me, myself, those like me, those serving now, your fellow citizens, but most of all yourself. I will leave you with a story, to help you appreciate that unsung hero's are the one's you never really hear about.

"It is my duty as a Pararescueman to save life and to aid the injured. I will be prepared at all times to perform my assigned duties quickly and efficiently, placing these duties before personal desires and comforts. These things I do, "That Others May Live."

Author Sebastian Junger focused on the Andrea Gail but also wrote about a helicopter from the 106th known as Jolly 110, which was co-piloted by Buschor. The crew was returning home at night after being unable to get a sailor off his boat when the Jolly 110 encountered 100 mph winds that made it impossible to refuel with the C-130. Realizing that the helicopter wouldn’t make it back, pilot Dave Ruvola decided to ditch, and Buschor issued the mayday call.

PJs Arden “Rick” Smith and John Spillane, along with Buschor, leaped into a sea where some waves reached 100 feet. Ruvola, along with engineer Jim Mioli, remained on board to set the aircraft down. Both escaped from the sinking helicopter.

Buschor wound up on his own. Somehow, in the pitch darkness and earsplitting winds, Ruvola, Mioli and Spillane found one another. They were in bad shape; Spillane had several broken bones, and Mioli had no survival suit.

“The wind is howling. You’re getting hammered by waves every few minutes. You’re swallowing gallons of water, which makes you vomit and then get the dry heaves,” said Buschor.

Four hours after they went into the ocean, a search plane spotted Buschor’s emergency strobe light. Soon after, a 205-foot Coast Guard cutter, the Tamaroa, found Buschor being tossed like a toy by the waves.

Coast Guard volunteers pulled him aboard. Ruvola, Mioli and Spillane came out about an hour later.

For weeks, scores of aircraft and ships scoured the ocean but never found Rick Smith. Many speculate that he leaped from about 70 feet, landing between waves because he couldn’t see the turbulent ocean.

The death was the first for the unit during a mission.

Chris, these are some of the people along with the US Navy SAR crewmen that would pull my ass out of the drink. So again, you need not like what the Military does or the people in it, but please don't disrespect them and me. Thank You.

Forum List

Back