David Gergen says Obama could lose because of his blackness

Silence

wanna lick?
Aug 26, 2008
FL
CNN political analyist opening said tonight that Obama might be leading in the polls but he doesn't really believe the polls and thinks that Obama could ultimately lose this election because he's black.

the reality is he's probably more right than wrong on this issue.

what a sad sad commentary on our country as a whole that a man, who, according to the polls, is who the people want, could end up losing because of long standing racism in this country.

CNN political analyist opening said tonight that Obama might be leading in the polls but he doesn't really believe the polls and thinks that Obama could ultimately lose this election because he's black.

what a sad sad commentary on our country as a whole that a man, who, according to the polls, is who the people want, could end up losing because of long standing racism in this country.

oh please --not AGAIN--the race card is crap--pure crap. It's a real possiblity that Obama could lose because people prefer McCain. Imagine that. Do you realize how many white men have lost the election and race didn't have a damn thing to do with it ?

Now I floated this same ideal a few days ago and I was pounced as being an idiot. Now its plausible?

He has a point.

Now I floated this same ideal a few days ago and I was pounced as being an idiot. Now its plausible?

I didn't see you say this Crimson but I've been saying this for weeks. People like dillo who want to dismiss this as "playing the race card" are in complete denial about the reality of the situation.

In THEORY I think there are people would think Obama would make the better President but when they go behind the curtain will they actually pull the lever for him to be president?

I want to believe they will. I know I will and I'm as white as they come.

and dillo, I'm not playing the race card, I'm opening up a discussion based on what a WHITE CNN commentator said... how exactly does a white guy play the black race card?

I didn't see you say this Crimson but I've been saying this for weeks. People like dillo who want to dismiss this as "playing the race card" are in complete denial about the reality of the situation.

In THEORY I think there are people would think Obama would make the better President but when they go behind the curtain will they actually pull the lever for him to be president?

I want to believe they will. I know I will and I'm as white as they come.

and dillo, I'm not playing the race card, I'm opening up a discussion based on what a WHITE CNN commentator said... how exactly does a white guy play the black race card?

By laying guilt trips on the audience.

I think it was the bradley effect people disagreed with. And I,for one, have never called you an idiot. :eusa_whistle:

Something interesting,though. On CNN, the panel of 25, the ones who were responding really positively to obama (the undecideds).. a lot of them said they'd made up their minds to vote for mccain. i thought that was interesting.

By laying guilt trips on the audience.

do you actually think it's a strategic effort? really? or is he simply saying what everyone else thinks but won't speak about?

Why can't we discuss the fact that Obama actually winning isn't a forgone conclusion just based on the polling numbers?

There will be people who won't vote for Obama because they disagree with him on policy. but there will ALSO be people who won't vote for him based on nothing more than the color of his skin.

Flip side to that is there will be people who will vote for him based on nothing more than the color of his skin even if they know nothing about his policies and plans.

I think it was the bradley effect people disagreed with. And I,for one, have never called you an idiot. :eusa_whistle:

Something interesting,though. On CNN, the panel of 25, the ones who were responding really positively to obama (the undecideds).. a lot of them said they'd made up their minds to vote for mccain. i thought that was interesting.

Care to elaborate on what you think the significance of that is ?

The thing is Obama is far from radical. He's really not from the liberal wing of the Democratic party in a way that Barbara Mikulski or Ted Kennedy are.

Obama is a lot closer to Bill Clinton, than he is to Barbara Boxer.

You know what? If Obama had white skin, spoke with a southern accent, and came from North Carolina, he would be up by 15 points in the polls.

I'm convinced of that.

I know you haven't. I think it was one of the countless newbies. I can't keep track of them.

I think itwas because McCain came a bit more genuine. Obama won this thing hands down on style, but McCain made his case. IMO

The thing is Obama is far from radical. He's really not from the liberal wing of the Democratic party in a way that Barbara Mikulski or Ted Kennedy are.

You know what? If Obama had white skin, spoke with a southern accent, and came from North Carolina, he would be up by 15 points in the polls.

I'm convinced of that.

that's very scientific !

I'm convinced of that.

I actually agree with this... if Obama were white this election would be all but over without a question.

The thing that works in Obama's favor is new voters and young voters.

I still think Obama will ultimately win this election.

Many people say he needs to be ahead by 5+ to win because there is something about the voting booth that just makes you vote for the white guy. I know some older Dems that are worried by this.

Many people say he needs to be ahead by 5+ to win because there is something about the voting booth that just makes you vote for the white guy. I know some older Dems that are worried by this.

We'll see how much that booth makes women vote for the female too !

I'm a woman and Palin isn't the one running.... remember she only gets the job if the old guy kicks the bucket. and while I know the people in her lil town are hoping for a heart attack it's not likely. Thank God

I'm a woman and Palin isn't the one running.... remember she only gets the job if the old guy kicks the bucket. and while I know the people in her lil town are hoping for a heart attack it's not likely. Thank God

right--and every woman thinks exactly like you :rolleyes:

(and yes--she IS running.)

If women vote for Mccain because of Palin then they are wasting their vote in the name of womens rights. I know many women of all ages here in FL that are voting for Obama. Well see, I know you angry women out there are going to try to fuck things up but there are many great, level headed women that will vote for one candidate or the other because of their policies and not their sex.

right--and every woman thinks exactly like you :rolleyes:

(and yes--she IS running.)

I don't vote for the VP dillo... I vote for the PResident.

and no not every woman thinks like me....but every woman I know says she'd never vote for a ticke that had a woman like Palin on it. She is everything we're against.

She's turning women in politics into a caricature. It's disgusting.

I don't vote for the VP dillo... I vote for the PResident.

and no not every woman thinks like me....but every woman I know says she'd never vote for a ticke that had a woman like Palin on it. She is everything we're against.

She's turning women in politics into a caricature. It's disgusting.

no worries for you then--enjoy. You and every woman you know says a lot.

Forum List

Back