Popeyes Rice and Beans

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Anyone have a recipe that is similar to theirs? We have no Popeye's anywhere near us. There is one about 4 hours away...and I don't plan to drive that far just to get some. So..if i can make it myself...that would be great.

Red rice and beans is not difficult - but requires patience and not taking short cuts.
Use real beans...not kidney beans out of a can.
Use jasmine rice, boil the water BEFORE adding rice....otherwise you have sticky/clumpy rice.
Real beans and rice takes hours to cook...any other way...is just a salt-laden imitation of the real thing.

Deeper rooting gene helps rice prosper during drought...
:cool:
Gene that Helps Rice Plants Prosper During Droughts Discovered
August 02, 2013 > Scientists have identified a gene that helps rice plants produce grain even during drought conditions.
The gene is the blueprint for a protein that makes the plant’s root tips more responsive to the pull of gravity. Rice plants with the gene send their roots deeper into the soil than those without it. They can access water farther underground. The gene is called DRO1, short for “deeper rooting.”

The Japanese researchers found that, under moderate drought conditions, plants without DRO1 produced 60 percent less rice than normal. But plants with the gene were virtually unaffected. “This group of authors has identified a gene that seems to be of pretty significant importance,” said Julia Bailey-Serres, a rice researcher at the University of California-Riverside, who was not involved in the study.

BF04E203-549B-45A5-B962-86C42510F8B1_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy8_cw0.jpg

A Thai farmer plows his rice field in Ayutthaya province, central Thailand, June 21, 2013.

Under severe drought conditions that cut rice production to near zero in plants without the gene, the DRO1 plants still managed to produce some grain. “There was only 30 percent grain yield in this new rice variety under that condition, but still, comparing zero to 30 is quite a significant insurance policy for the farmer,” said Bailey-Serres.

She added that it would take only a few years to introduce this gene to shallow-rooting rice varieities around the world. Rice is a staple crop for roughly half the world’s population, and climate change is expected to pose challenges to crop production. The Japanese researchers say other crops, such as maize, have genes similar to DRO1, which may prove useful in adapting them to drought conditions as well.

Gene that Helps Rice Plants Prosper During Droughts Discovered

This is my Mother's recipe for Red Beans and Sausage that you put over rice...... This is from a real Cajun woman that was an amazing cook for 74 years.......... Traditional Red Beans and Rice has Sausage in it.

1 Onion,chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 stalk of Celery, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
Ham Hocks (adds great flavor to the beans )
Tony Chachere's Famous Creole Seasoning
1 small bag of small red kidney beans
1 pkg. of Hillshire smoked sausage....fresh Andouille Sausage is best but it's not easy to find outside of Louisiana

Saute onion, bell peppers, garlic, celery and ham hocks in Olive oil.......
Add about 6 cups water, beans, and sausage. Add a tablespoon of Tony's to taste. May add a touch of Italian seasoning if desired. I add a bunch of Cayenne pepper too because I'm a Coonass and love it hot.

I like the Mahatma Brown Rice, it comes out really fluffy without the after taste and is healthier than bleached rice. I use a rice cooker because I make a shitload....great for Rice and Eggs the next morning.

Put the Red beans and Sausage on top of the rice, open up the Beer of your choice and jump in........Yummy!

Last edited:
Good news in the fight against world hunger...
cool.gif

Rice Breeders Report Huge Productivity Gains
April 06, 2018 - The science behind the grain that feeds half the world may have taken a big leap forward. Scientists are reporting the biggest improvements in rice productivity in decades.
If the results hold up in further tests, it could greatly increase supplies of a critical food staple at a time when the global population is growing rapidlyResearchers found a version of a gene that increased the number of branches in the flowering part of the plant. The team used conventional breeding to introduce this gene version into five rice varieties. The new strains produced from 28 to 85 percent more rice than their parents. That’s a huge increase, says University of Arkansas rice breeder Xueyan Sha. “If we can achieve, say, 6 percent, we can probably consider it a great achievement,” Sha said.

E0E35FE0-53DA-4C10-9222-A453A9CBAF0A_w650_r0_s.jpg

A farmer plows a paddy field to plant rice seedlings in Naypyitaw, Myanmar, March 2, 2018. Myanmar celebrates Peasants' Day annually on March 2 to show the country's appreciation to its laborers.​

Sha was not part of the new study, published in the journal Scientific Reports. He cautions that it’s a small-scale, controlled experiment, and it’s not clear how the results will hold up in farmers’ fields. Rice yields have not improved much since the big gains of the “Green Revolution” of the 1960s, aimed at boosting grain production. Experts say big increases in food production will be necessary to feed the additional 2 billion or so people expected on the planet by 2050.

Not all rice varieties tested by the scientists produced the same hefty gains. That’s another reason for caution, notes rice geneticist Shannon Pinson with the U.S. Department of Agriculture. “There’s something exciting here,” Pinson said. “I don’t think it’s as exciting as Green Revolution caliber.” New varieties will be available to farmers in two to four years.

Rice Breeders Report Huge Productivity Gains

Forum List

Back