Pope Benedict XVI Should Resign

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Madeline, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    If the Catholic Church hopes to survive as a religion it must face up to and repent the abuse of children. Towards this end, for his part in covering up the sexual abuse of children by priests, the current Pope must resign. His past actions deprive him of any moral authority.

Specifically, it is credibly alleged by the NY Times that Pope Benedict (then Cardinal Ratzinger) argued against defrocking a priest who had molested as many as 200 deaf boys. Although the Pope has accepted the resignation of an Irish Bishop for his failure to report sexual abuse cases to the police, he has not addressed his own falure to report sexual abuse to the police while he was Archbishop of Munich, Germany.

If a religion is to have any use to men at all, it must at least serve as a moral and ethical guide...and unless the Catholic Church acts vigorously to rid itself of institutional pedophilia-sheltering, it cannot claim to do that. Only by sacrificing a position of power can Ratzinger hope to preserve the dignity of the Papacy.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  2. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    nice blue font and very readable size.....are you catholic....

3. JenyEliza

JenyEliza Princess of Rhetoric

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Are you Catholic?

If so, then you have a right to your opinion. However, I don't agree.....the molestation scandal goes back past Pope John, Pope Paul and Pope John Paul II. It goes back hundreds of years. WHY is Benedict being held solely responsible by you?

To quote our libby friends: "He inherited this mess". :rolleyes:

If you are not Catholic, then you need to keep it to yourself. Whether or not Benedict resigns has no bearing on you or your life and is, in actuality, none of your business.

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    I argue for criminals who commit horrendus crimes everyday. Does that mean I should no longer call myself a disciple of Christ?

What is Christianity if it's not a message of mercy to the sinner? Why should anyone be ashamed of defending a sinner when Christ gave His life protecting the sinner?

5. eagleseven

eagleseven Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    Because:

1. We cannot hold dead men responsible for their sins.

2. He has absolute power over the Catholic Church. The buck stops with him.

6. eagleseven

eagleseven Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    The last Pope to resign, did so 600 years ago, in order to prevent the Catholic Church from ripping into three factions, and avoid continent-wide civil war.

7. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    The Catholic Church will survive. It always has. It always will. I am not overly thrilled with Pope Ben but a man or a group of men are not the Church.

And as for the views of non-Catholics - while you are welcome to say whatever crap you feel inclined to - it is, in fact, none of your damned business. Respectfully, worry about your own religions and we'll deal with any issues within our Church. Thanks.

8. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,049
    you call liberals sinners and scum more or less, do you defend them, as a Christian, as you claim? do you give mercy? or do you ridicule and bash them and throw stones, continually?

just wondering....:eusa_whistle:

9. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Folks, I don't happen to think my religious affiliation has any bearing on the resignation of Pope Benedict. It may (or may not) be "my" church but the children who were abused (and who likely are still being abused) are certainly my concern. I don't see the upside to Benedict remaining in office, but his resignation would go a long way towards ending practices and beliefs about the needs of the church vs. those of its victims., etc.

Am I -- or any thinking person -- to accept Benedict's moral authority on issues like birth control, etc. if he cannot face up to his own complicity in such heinous acts? It is selfish and wrong for him to remain in office....and if he does, it may help end the primacy of the church in the lives of many faithful.

10. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Unless you're a Catholic, frankly... it ain't your business.