POLL: Is this in the best interests of our young people, or is it not?

Should we promote & enable challenging opinions for our young people?

• Yes

Votes: 47 92.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Mango

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
I voted No. The OP question hit as arguing for argument sake. I think a firm foundation should first be established by parents for young people and save the debate clubs for high school students.

Edit: I'm thinking of "young people" as 8th grade and younger.

Last edited:
The dumbest thing about this discussion is that the OP thinks progressives don't want young people to be exposed to a variety of viewpoints.

Basically, young people at institutions of higher learning have made it known that they don't want to be associated with opportunistic charlatans like Ann Coulter.

They aren't afraid to hear what she says. They just don't want their institutions to lend credibility to it.

Get it? Will you ever get it?

Last edited:
The dumbest thing about this discussion is that the OP thinks progressives don't want young people to be exposed to a variety of viewpoints.

Basically, young people at institutions of higher learning have made it known that they don't want to be associated with opportunistic charlatans like Ann Coulter.

They aren't afraid to hear what she says. They just don't want to their institutions to lend credibility to it.

So you disagree with my OP.

Thanks.

And of COURSE you Regressives "don't want young people to be exposed to a variety of viewpoints" if you don't like those viewpoints. You're liars and cowards.

I appreciate the input.

They aren't afraid to hear what she says. They just don't want to their institutions to lend credibility to it.

Thanks.

And of COURSE you Regressives "don't want young people to be exposed to a variety of viewpoints" if you don't like those viewpoints. You're liars and cowards.

I appreciate the input.

I voted yes, fool. I shut down your argument. You don't like it.

Thanks.

I appreciate the input.

Oh yes. I am defeated and humiliated.

I feel just terrible now.

You vote "Yes" and don't want Coulter to speak. You people are so dishonest that I don't even think you realize it.

Thanks.

I appreciate the input.

Oh yes. I am defeated and humiliated.

I feel just terrible now.

You vote "Yes" and don't want Coulter to speak. You people are so dishonest that I don't even think you realize it.

I don't care if Coulter speaks at that university or not. Couldn't care less.

Thanks.

I appreciate the input.

I think of our difference as more of how we define "young people". I associated the term primarily with grammar school youngsters and beginning high school students. I then associate young adults as more mature high school juniors and seniors and college age people.

Just to put some rational perspective on one more Mac attack on liberals, let's keep in mind:

The conservative push for school vouchers, school choice, religious schools, homeschooling are all examples of how CONSERVATIVES are, as much or more than liberals,

desirous of shielding their children from differing opinions.

When I first read the question I imagined Mac suggesting mom and dad driving the family back home from church and Sunday school all the while explaining to the little ones the concept of evolution. Thus I didn't see it in itself as liberal versus conservative sort of thing.

They aren't afraid to hear what she says. They just don't want their institutions to lend credibility to it.

She wouldn't have credibility if no one chose to show up. Trying to block her makes the student body lose credibility, IMO.

She wouldn't have credibility if no one chose to show up. Trying to block her makes the student body lose credibility, IMO.

Incorrect.

Thanks.

I appreciate the input.

I think of our difference as more of how we define "young people". I associated the term primarily with grammar school youngsters and beginning high school students. I then associate young adults as more mature high school juniors and seniors and college age people.
No, I mean college-age kids, people who have reached a point of development at which they can make reasonably mature analyses and judgements.

Yeah, I wouldn't see much positive value in this for younger kids, although obviously everyone is different.

Let's get to the heart of the issue of our young people and speakers.

Here's my position: It's a moral and cultural obligation of ours, as citizens of the United States, to promote and enable our young people to be exposed to contrary, stimulating, challenging, and yes, even controversial opinions at every opportunity. It is in their best interests, and the best interests of our country, to do so.

And further, there is no better place or time in their lives to be challenged like this than their college years. If we do not, we are doing our young people and our country a terrible disservice.

Do you agree or disagree? And please note: This is NOT a First Amendment issue, so let's not go there.
Too vague.

If you were female then I could see the cryptic writing.

If you are male then you are becoming effeminate.

Forum List

Back