Poll: 91% Approve of Obama's Proposals In SOTU Speech

Poll: High Marks for Obama's State of the Union Speech

pie_chart_244x.JPG

An overwhelming majority of Americans approved of the overall message in President Obama's State of the Union speech on Tuesday night, according to a CBS News poll of speech watchers.

According to the poll, which was conducted online by Knowledge Networks immediately after the president's address, 91 percent of those who watched the speech approved of the proposals Mr. Obama put forth during his remarks. Only nine percent disapproved.

Last year, 83 percent of viewers approved of Mr. Obama's State of the Union remarks.

I give him low marks for originality.
Barack Obama‘s SOTU Compares to Theodore Roosevelt’s, Also Scored 8th Grade Reading Level on Flesch-Kincaid Test | Video | TheBlaze.com

pie_chart_244x.JPG

An overwhelming majority of Americans approved of the overall message in President Obama's State of the Union speech on Tuesday night, according to a CBS News poll of speech watchers.

According to the poll, which was conducted online by Knowledge Networks immediately after the president's address, 91 percent of those who watched the speech approved of the proposals Mr. Obama put forth during his remarks. Only nine percent disapproved.

Last year, 83 percent of viewers approved of Mr. Obama's State of the Union remarks.

Do you know what my favorite part of the SOTU speech was? It's when President Obama said that he and many members of congress should pay as high a tax rate as most Americans do, and Republicans sat in their chairs, unmoved at the prospect.

ill bet you if Obama was a Republican and he said that the Democrats would have stayed in their chairs......so whats new?.....

A reader adds:

Today at work the response has been surprisingly positive. I live in Central PA, otherwise known as Pennsyltucky. What’s surprising is the reaction from those who have been steadfastly opposed to Obama and everything he stands for. Both an evangelical Christian, who is primarily concerned with the social agenda, and a secular conservative, who is primarily concerned about his guns and his taxes being given to the lazy, enjoyed the speech and even said, “I could possibly see myself voting for him”.

somehow i think this is bullshit Synth.....the Righties were i work sure as hell were not saying that.....and a black girl who is absolutely for Obama said.....talk is talk.....lets see it happen....

pie_chart_244x.JPG

Where did that poll come from? Link?

I can't believe that that high of a percentage approved of this:

Bailouts are awesome: "On the day I took office, our auto industry was on the verge of collapse. Some even said we should let it die. With a million jobs at stake, I refused to let that happen. ... Today, General Motors is back on top as the world's number one automaker. Chrysler has grown faster in the U.S. than any major car company. ... We bet on American workers. We bet on American ingenuity. And tonight, the American auto industry is back." --Barack Obama

Bailouts are terrible: "It's time to apply the same rules from top to bottom: No bailouts, no handouts, and no copouts. An America built to last insists on responsibility from everybody." --Barack Obama, later in the same SOTU

Policy based on envy: "We can either settle for a country where a shrinking number of people do really well, while a growing number of Americans barely get by. Or we can restore an economy where everyone gets a fair shot, everyone does their fair share, and everyone plays by the same set of rules." --Barack Obama

Conciliatory blame throwing: "The state of our union is getting stronger. And we've come too far to turn back now. As long as I'm president, I will work with anyone in this chamber to build on this momentum. But I intend to fight obstruction with action, and I will oppose any effort to return to the very same policies that brought on this economic crisis in the first place." --Barack Obama

Deciding how much money you can make: "[W]e need to change our tax code so that people like me, and an awful lot of members of Congress, pay our fair share of taxes. Tax reform should follow the Buffett rule: If you make more than $1 million a year, you should not pay less than 30 percent in taxes. ... On the other hand, if you make under $250,000 a year, like 98 percent of American families, your taxes shouldn't go up." --Barack Obama

The pay for members of Congress (not including the speaker or majority leaders) is $174,000. That income places Congress in the 28% (just $400 below the $174,400 amount that would place them in the 33% level, oddly enough). That, of course, doesn't take into account various deductions, business related expenses, and any dependent deductions. Keep in mind that they write the tax laws. My guess is that those tax laws favor them quite nicely when April 15th comes around.

US Congress Salaries and Benefits – Salaries and Benefits of US Congress Members

Tax Brackets (Federal Income Tax Rates) 2000 through 2011 and 2012

So they pay 28% before any deductions. Thats still alot more than the average American has to pay in taxes. Average "median income" is around $30k and dropping. Average household income is something like $63k accoring to some sources. Either way, its far less than $174k.

Anyway, I found what Obama actually said in the State of the Union:

But in return, we need to change our tax code so that people like me, and an awful lot of Members of Congress, pay our fair share of taxes. Tax reform should follow the Buffett rule: If you make more than $1 million a year, you should not pay less than 30 percent in taxes. And my Republican friend Tom Coburn is right: Washington should stop subsidizing millionaires. In fact, if you're earning a million dollars a year, you shouldn't get special tax subsidies or deductions. On the other hand, if you make under $250,000 a year, like 98 percent of American families, your taxes shouldn't go up. You're the ones struggling with rising costs and stagnant wages. You're the ones who need relief.

Now, you can call this class warfare all you want. But asking a billionaire to pay at least as much as his secretary in taxes? Most Americans would call that common sense.
This is full of false statements.

"Fair share" of taxes is a very subjective statement, it can refer to income tax, or any other tax. He is not specific in what type of tax he is referring to. Very typical of liberals to do to gain sympathy for their arguement.

If someone is "earning" 1 million dollars, then it would be subject to the same tax brackets as all other income earners. Likely paying 35% tax per dollar. The problem is most millionaires and billionaires don't earn millions of dollars in a paycheck cut from an employer. They are usually returns on investments or from real estate. Raising taxes on investment is simply going to curb investment in the private sector.

And of course the zinger of "a billionaire to pay at least as much as his secretary in taxes" is a complete lie as well. Unless you want to believe that 17.7 % of $46 million is less than 30% of $60k.

Aren't deductions calculated (subtracted from reported income) before arriving at taxable income?

With enough deductions (including contributions to 401Ks and IRAs, medical expenses, mortgage interest deductions, etc) a person can lower their tax rates quite substantially. And again, let's not forget that Congress writes the tax laws. Don't you think they could (and probably would) write those laws in such a way as to minimize their own tax liability?

Of course, anyone can use detuctions. Why would anyone be exempt from them? They are perfectly legal, so any one can use them. If a Congressman wanted to pass a tax law that helped him specifically, he'd still have to get the majority of all other congressmen to vote in favor. Sounds rather difficult for a congressman to pass a law that he would alone would benefit from. And chances are if most members of congress would benefit from a tax break, so would most other taxpayers. Unless you can cite a specific tax law passed by Congress that only they benefit from, its nothing but an assertion.

pie_chart_244x.JPG

Where did that poll come from? Link?

I can't believe that that high of a percentage approved of this:

Bailouts are awesome: "On the day I took office, our auto industry was on the verge of collapse. Some even said we should let it die. With a million jobs at stake, I refused to let that happen. ... Today, General Motors is back on top as the world's number one automaker. Chrysler has grown faster in the U.S. than any major car company. ... We bet on American workers. We bet on American ingenuity. And tonight, the American auto industry is back." --Barack Obama

Bailouts are terrible: "It's time to apply the same rules from top to bottom: No bailouts, no handouts, and no copouts. An America built to last insists on responsibility from everybody." --Barack Obama, later in the same SOTU

Policy based on envy: "We can either settle for a country where a shrinking number of people do really well, while a growing number of Americans barely get by. Or we can restore an economy where everyone gets a fair shot, everyone does their fair share, and everyone plays by the same set of rules." --Barack Obama

Conciliatory blame throwing: "The state of our union is getting stronger. And we've come too far to turn back now. As long as I'm president, I will work with anyone in this chamber to build on this momentum. But I intend to fight obstruction with action, and I will oppose any effort to return to the very same policies that brought on this economic crisis in the first place." --Barack Obama

Deciding how much money you can make: "[W]e need to change our tax code so that people like me, and an awful lot of members of Congress, pay our fair share of taxes. Tax reform should follow the Buffett rule: If you make more than $1 million a year, you should not pay less than 30 percent in taxes. ... On the other hand, if you make under $250,000 a year, like 98 percent of American families, your taxes shouldn't go up." --Barack Obama

It should read Poll smokers polled, From the leg tingle media.

If you guys have some evidence that CBS only polled Democrats, please share it. Otherwise, you just sound like a bunch of whiners. Well, you sound like whiners either way, but at least back up your whining with some proof.

I don't doubt that he had a majority approval. People easily fall for empty platitudes because they make people feel good, despite the lack of substance.

The polling sample was quite lopsided with Democrats and not representative of the American electorate.

Q8. Generally speaking, do you usually consider yourself a

Republican 25%

Democrat 44%

Independent/Other 31%

CBS News State of the Union Poll - CBS News

thanks, I've been looking for someone to post the demographics involved.

the poll is lopsided, leaning towards Democrats.

Meaningless poll.

pie_chart_244x.JPG

Do you know what my favorite part of the SOTU speech was? It's when President Obama said that he and many members of congress should pay as high a tax rate as most Americans do, and Republicans sat in their chairs, unmoved at the prospect.

As most Americans... does that include the majority that pay no federal income taxes??

Sweet.. I want that rate.. finally something I agree with

This is like Saddam Hussein risen from the grave saying he was voted in as president with a 98% rating. Kim Jong Il bereaved by 100% of the people.

obama's speech had fewer people watching that at any time in his presidency. The totals were lower than last year, which was lower than any previous speech,

obama's friend and advisor, David Axelrod, owns a company whose sole business is to astroturf. Put in favorable stories and articles and create fake opinions. This is a stellar example.

pie_chart_244x.JPG

Did they mention most people didn't bother to watch...? :lol:

Always beware when anyone starts stating "facts" in terms of percentages... :eusa_whistle:

Talk about yellow journalism and psuedoscience. 500 people polled with 44% of them affiliating themselves as democrats.

Hilarious.

If you guys have some evidence that CBS only polled Democrats, please share it. Otherwise, you just sound like a bunch of whiners. Well, you sound like whiners either way, but at least back up your whining with some proof.

I watched it...well, i watched some of it until i couldn't take it any longer. But i didn't vote in that poll, and i'm sure MANY people (especially republicans) didn't vote in that poll either. I think most of the people that answered that poll WERE democrats. So of course the numbers for Obama would be high!!

If Fox had the same poll, i'll bet the majority were NOT in favor of his speech....because the left would not have gone to that website to answer the poll. Same for all the left leaning MSM's, those would be mostly the left answering them. So these polls are all a bunch of crap.....

So this should have read "91% OF DEMOCRATS approve of......."
Wouldn't you agree??

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

91% approved of the proposals...why didn't they just make it 100%

yet he still has a majority who disapprove of him....funny how that works..

leave it to CBS

Most people like him, funny how you will write anything that comes into your head.

lol, most people like him..A ,majority DISAPPROVE of him in the polls THAT COUNT.. and don't think he should be re-elected...so you want to call that most people like him..have at it...

Ok - which polls count and which ones don't?

Yeah, Obama kicked some ass last night. I want to see this no-insider-trading bill. There were some unhappy faces in the crowd after that line. lls

More than just that line.

I thought the old turtle was gonna pop a vein.

Well, actually, Canter and Boner looked like their faces would crack.

Anyone see Gifford's resignation this morning? Boehner couldn't even manage a smile for her, especially since that whore bursts into tears at the drop of a hat. Worst House Speaker in my memory. He even has to call lushbo Limbaugh to be told what to do. What a sorry bunch the pubs are.

Sorry, but I have to correct this. He was very moved, and did cry as she was bringing the letter of resignation up to him.

At the SOTU, he looked as if he had been drinking. But he always looks like he's been drinking. Because I think he drinks a lot.

110407_boehner_newnumber_reuters_328.jpg

Forum List

Back