Politics and money, bribery or extortion?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Quantum Windbag, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Just today I came across another thread by a guy who thinks he is smarter and better educated than I am crying about money and politics and all worried about how all the money is corrupting politicians. Funny thing, the richest guy in the fracking world did not care at all about politics until the politicians noticed they weren't getting any money from him and started flexing their muscles to get his attention.

Carney: How Hatch forced Microsoft to play K Street's game | WashingtonExaminer.com

If I went into a store and offered said I wouldn't trash the store if they gave me money I would be guilty of extortion. If a politician does the same thing it is called a donation.

2. ClosedCaption

ClosedCaption Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,277
    The reason why this thread will die is because repubs love the money they get and hate the dem money. While the Dems love the money they get and hate the Repub.

Bottom line tho is after Citizens United our democracy is for sale to the highest bidder. Suuure, people donate and do not want any favors. Who expects anything for money anyway?

3. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Tell me something, genius, why did Congress pass McCain Feingold in the first place? Was it meant to keep them from being able to get money, or was it meant to keep people from using money against them?

4. ClosedCaption

ClosedCaption Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,277
    Tell me something genius. Which part of my post do you disagree with? Let's start there

5. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    No. let's start with you answering my question, then we can go one tome responding to your question.