Politics and money, bribery or extortion?

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Just today I came across another thread by a guy who thinks he is smarter and better educated than I am crying about money and politics and all worried about how all the money is corrupting politicians. Funny thing, the richest guy in the fracking world did not care at all about politics until the politicians noticed they weren't getting any money from him and started flexing their muscles to get his attention.

"If you want to get involved in business," Sen. Orrin Hatch warned technology companies at a conference in 2000, "you should get involved in politics."
But it grated on Hatch and other senators that Gates didn't want to want to play the Washington game. Former Microsoft employee Michael Kinsley, a liberal, wrote of Gates: "He didn't want anything special from the government, except the freedom to build and sell software. If the government would leave him alone, he would leave the government alone."
"The industry had an attitude that government should do what it needs to do but leave us alone," one Hill technology staffer complained to Business Week at the time. "Their hands-off approach to Washington will come back to haunt them."
Wal-Mart underwent this same shakedown last decade. Then the hedge funds caught the eye of Washington. Next on the menu is Apple. This is how Washington increases its power and its wealth.

Carney: How Hatch forced Microsoft to play K Street's game | WashingtonExaminer.com

If I went into a store and offered said I wouldn't trash the store if they gave me money I would be guilty of extortion. If a politician does the same thing it is called a donation.

The reason why this thread will die is because repubs love the money they get and hate the dem money. While the Dems love the money they get and hate the Repub.

Bottom line tho is after Citizens United our democracy is for sale to the highest bidder. Suuure, people donate and do not want any favors. Who expects anything for money anyway?

The reason why this thread will die is because repubs love the money they get and hate the dem money. While the Dems love the money they get and hate the Repub.

Bottom line tho is after Citizens United our democracy is for sale to the highest bidder. Suuure, people donate and do not want any favors. Who expects anything for money anyway?

Tell me something, genius, why did Congress pass McCain Feingold in the first place? Was it meant to keep them from being able to get money, or was it meant to keep people from using money against them?

Tell me something genius. Which part of my post do you disagree with? Let's start there

Forum List

Back