Political Predictions for 2014

Not really Temp

They are just health insurance policies written by private insurers. Once people settle into a plan, Republicans look like the bad guys for trying to take it away

If that is all the GOP has for 2014 they are in trouble

You may be right, but it's likely that the following will also happen in 2014 as a result of the ACA:

• The predictable dumping of millions of employees into the ACA system will create considerable ill will towards the plan as many of these employees will see sharp increases in net premiums because they may not qualify for subsidies and they're no longer having their employer pay most of their premiums
  • Medicaid patients -- now millions more of them -- will have significant difficulty finding doctors and other providers because Medicaid reimbursements are so low and providers are already reacting by trimming their Medicaid censuses
  • Patients who are stuck with these incredibly high deductibles will receive large bills for payment due and many will either stiff the providers or have to scrape up the money to pay them
  • Providers will see a sharp increase in delinquencies because so many patients will not be able to afford their deductibles
  • Many providers will choose not to accept any of these plans so that they can avoid the above, and change their practices to private pay and supplemental pay only, all at a time when demand for their services is exploding

I wouldn't even go so far as to call those predictions - they're just observations based on how this law is set up and on what is already happening.

By November, people will have had almost a year in their policies. They will have paid premiums, filed claims and been reimbursed. Some will be happy with their plan, others will switch to a more expensive or cheaper plan. That is the way insurance has always worked

But people will be covered. Republicans will not be running on making peoples coverage better....they will be running on cancelling that coverage and replacing it with nothing

Good luck with that in 2014

"Replacing it with nothing" has essentially been the GOP's approach from the beginning, so they're just as responsible for this law as are the Democrats. Why they've been unable and/or afraid to offer a clear alternative and push it at every opportunity is a mystery.

Indeed, by November of 2014 the events on my list will have taken place, and I'd guess it'll be pretty clear in one direction or the other. I'm pretty sure that list is accurate, I suppose the variable will be how effective the PR departments of each party will be. "Having coverage" and "being covered" are two different things in insurance.

Last edited:
I expect the Republican civil war to be the main theater for 2014. That and maybe a few Senate races. I don't expect the House to flip, but the GOP will be losing some governor's offices.

The Senate will probably remain in Democrat control.

Lumpy you won't get predictions and here is why:

10.5 months to election

The real horror shows about ACA cannot be reported until after 1/1/14 when it takes effect.

The election will be about the hopes and fears surrounding the employer exchanges. CVS, Walmart and the rest cannot really market concierge care for the masses until that lead balloon is launched and goes China syndrome plus the Rs have to put in an amendment to a must pass bill making such plans compliant.

ObamaCare will track just like RomneyCare. A bumpy start, very expensive, lots of fixes needed, but deeply entrenched and wildly popular five years down the road.

In the meantime, the GOP will experience the five stages of grief:

Denial — "I feel fine."; "This can't be happening, not to me."

Anger — "It's not fair!"; "Who is to blame?"

Bargaining — "I'll do anything for a few more years in power."

Depression — "I'm so sad, why bother with anything?"

Acceptance — "It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it."

Your wistful cluelessness would be endearing if it weren't so deranged.

People are not going to be happy paying FAR FAR MORE for FAR FAR WORSE healthcare coverage...especially when they aren't covered for the doctors who have treated them for years.

Here's another prediction:

5) Obama will bail out insurance companies for going along with his Encouragement to ignore the law and continue to provide coverage under cancelled substandard policies and to people who haven't even paid for coverage.

Hopenchange!

Prediction for 2014

1. Obamacare will take hold and people will settle into policies
2. Republicans will try to take away those polices
3. Republicans will lose

This is what we call "delusions of grandeur"

Not really Temp

They are just health insurance policies written by private insurers. Once people settle into a plan, Republicans look like the bad guys for trying to take it away

If that is all the GOP has for 2014 they are in trouble

So what of 6 million people losing their insurance because of this will get them into trouble? What of the lie Obama told about "you can keep your plan and your doctor"? Seems like to me you guys handed the next four elections to us on a silver platter. Yes, four. 2014, 2016, 2018 and 2020. Nobody likes a liar, especially a liar who takes away your freedom to choose your own healthcare insurance. Your party will own this failure for the better part of the next decade. Believe me, you never let Bush live down his mistakes in the wars.

Burning question:

Why should people "settle in" to a government mandated healthcare plan, when they were perfectly settled in with a plan of their own choosing? It also seems like to me you always want the Republicans to be the bad guys here, when in all actuality, your party is.

1) Obama will continue to issue executive orders that flout the rule of law and provide cover for Democrats
2) Senate Democrats will introduce 127 bills to repeal Obamacare, Reid will can all of them
3) Democrats will up their demands for a budget showdown, demanding 199 weeks of unemployment, food stamps on demand, and free contraceptives. The GOP will solemnly declare "this is the best deal we could get."
4) The economy will shatter as the increased costs of Obamacare bite into family budgets, and the Fed quits feeding 85B/mo in funny money
5) Andora will be the latest country to get into a diplomatic snit with the U.S. over U.S. policy
6) Francois Hollande and Angela Merkel will lecture Obama about the importance of fiscal restraint and the rule of law. Also the dangers of class warfare.
7) Vladimir Putin will show his manly chest and ride into battle against the rebel Ukrainians. Obama will be pictured on a moped.
8) Israel and Saudi Arabia will conclude a secret peace treaty calling for mutual defense against Iran.
9) Joe Biden will rescue the Dems in negotiations on the budget
10) The media and the left will still focus on how bad Bush was, and how he is still responsible for 5 years of a bad economy

Lumpy you won't get predictions and here is why:

10.5 months to election

The real horror shows about ACA cannot be reported until after 1/1/14 when it takes effect.

The election will be about the hopes and fears surrounding the employer exchanges. CVS, Walmart and the rest cannot really market concierge care for the masses until that lead balloon is launched and goes China syndrome plus the Rs have to put in an amendment to a must pass bill making such plans compliant.

I did mean all of 2014, just sayin

Now, if your talking about the 2013 decision (decided by emperor Obama) illegal to the ACA law and taking effect 1/1/2015 for employers/businesses, I get your point.

Last edited:
The people that have obamacare are really uninsured surely you realize that by now. The subsidies help with premiums. They don't do anything for deductibles. The cheapest plan, for the working poor, have the highest copays and highest deductibles. The insured pay their own bills until the deductible is met.

Happy New Year.. it's possible

1) Even Democrats will turn on Obama due to fear of the coming election.

2) Americans will decide they want the adults running the country again.

3) The realities of Obamacare failure will hit both Republicans and Democrats.

4) The Youth will embrace the Opt Out movement, and George W. Bush will be the new Hipster Icon of Coolth.

I do miss his Bushisms.

You may be right, but it's likely that the following will also happen in 2014 as a result of the ACA:

• The predictable dumping of millions of employees into the ACA system will create considerable ill will towards the plan as many of these employees will see sharp increases in net premiums because they may not qualify for subsidies and they're no longer having their employer pay most of their premiums
  • Medicaid patients -- now millions more of them -- will have significant difficulty finding doctors and other providers because Medicaid reimbursements are so low and providers are already reacting by trimming their Medicaid censuses
  • Patients who are stuck with these incredibly high deductibles will receive large bills for payment due and many will either stiff the providers or have to scrape up the money to pay them
  • Providers will see a sharp increase in delinquencies because so many patients will not be able to afford their deductibles
  • Many providers will choose not to accept any of these plans so that they can avoid the above, and change their practices to private pay and supplemental pay only, all at a time when demand for their services is exploding

I wouldn't even go so far as to call those predictions - they're just observations based on how this law is set up and on what is already happening.

By November, people will have had almost a year in their policies. They will have paid premiums, filed claims and been reimbursed. Some will be happy with their plan, others will switch to a more expensive or cheaper plan. That is the way insurance has always worked

But people will be covered. Republicans will not be running on making peoples coverage better....they will be running on cancelling that coverage and replacing it with nothing

"Replacing it with nothing" has essentially been the GOP's approach from the beginning, so they're just as responsible for this law as are the Democrats. Why they've been unable and/or afraid to offer a clear alternative and push it at every opportunity is a mystery.

Indeed, by November of 2014 the events on my list will have taken place, and I'd guess it'll be pretty clear in one direction or the other. I'm pretty sure that list is accurate, I suppose the variable will be how effective the PR departments of each party will be. "Having coverage" and "being covered" are two different things in insurance.

Where do you hear this crap and why do you believe it?.. The Republicans have the House, Harry the Fart sits on just about all legislation coming out of the House. I'm not complaining, just slapping some reality into your parroted like post..

Shivering Ducks.. Democrats can't even google for information...:lol:

Last edited:

Where do you hear this crap and why do you believe it?.. The Republicans have the House, Harry the Fart sits on just about all legislation coming out of the House. I'm not complaining, just slapping some reality into your parrot like post..

Of course Reid would have sat on any legislation, that's not the point. I've screamed about this many times here, but I'm happy to do it again:

The GOP has had plenty of chances to promote an alternative plan. I hear they have one, but I'd like to know why they have refused to promote it.

Even though most of the press is against the GOP, Republican politicians are still interviewed all the time on teevee. All they had to do was come up with a real plan, give it a catchy name, print it out on some cool red, white and blue booklet, and wave it in the freakin' air during every one of those interviews. Every goddamn one.

Why, precisely, have they chosen not to do that? Can you give me a real answer?

Regardless of why, they have not done it, EVER, people had no reason to vote for a non-plan, and now we're stuck with this ridiculous pig of a law.

So yeah, I think the GOP is responsible for it too.

Where do you hear this crap and why do you believe it?.. The Republicans have the House, Harry the Fart sits on just about all legislation coming out of the House. I'm not complaining, just slapping some reality into your parrot like post..

Of course Reid would have sat on any legislation, that's not the point. I've screamed about this many times here, but I'm happy to do it again:

The GOP has had plenty of chances to promote an alternative plan. I hear they have one, but I'd like to know why they have refused to promote it.

Even though most of the press is against the GOP, Republican politicians are still interviewed all the time on teevee. All they had to do was come up with a real plan, give it a catchy name, print it out on some cool red, white and blue booklet, and wave it in the freakin' air during every one of those interviews. Every goddamn one.

Why, precisely, have they chosen not to do that? Can you give me a real answer?

Regardless of why, they have not done it, EVER, people had no reason to vote for a non-plan, and now we're stuck with this ridiculous pig of a law.

So yeah, I think the GOP is responsible for it too.

I liked your post, you seem frustrated much like I am.. we could be be friends...:lol:

Obamacare is a giant rolling ball of crap, maybe they want it to roll on by and pick up what's left, who knows, not me.

Truth is, if you are under 35 (Obama's base being young people and freeloaders) you don't remember what this country used to be. You look around at the squalid mess that is today's politics, featuring a snarky, smart-assed 'president' that derides his colleagues AND his constituents like an immature grade-schooler, a congress that only cares about their next raise, political parties being run by Creme de la Cream babies that were brought up to believe there are no winners and no losers and self-esteem is more important than integrity and you think this is how it's supposed to be.
You don't remember a time when we weren't afraid all the time. You don't remember a time when a president, no matter what party, was a guy to be looked up to, not be embarrassed by. You don't remember when the working man had a fair shot and the dollar was worth something.
It's a shame we taught our children to be such crumbs, to think Mommy and Daddy owe them health insurance til they're 26, who have no interest in tryng to make things better because it's just too hard.
I wish they could have seen my America. Warts and all. It would make them ashamed (can we even have that emotion anymore?) that they've settled so cheaply and for so little.

To support my predictions: Health Care Exchange Is Vastly Improved, Users Say

Stephanie Lincoln, 60, of Lansdowne, Pa., also had quick success with the exchange — after a frustrating experience trying to submit an application online in October and November. With the help of a navigator, Caroline Picher, working at the local library, Ms. Lincoln signed up in just one hour on Friday for a policy that will cost $113 a month, with no deductible.

“I am one of the people whose plans were canceled,” Ms. Lincoln said. “It was just the easiest thing in the world.”

One of the people whose plan was canceled. And now she's happy!

Medical worker finally gets insurance on Obamacare website

It took two months, weekly visits to the jammed-up federal website and a half-dozen phone calls, but JoAnn Smith finally got health insurance Monday. It'll only cost her $3.19 a month to cover herself and her husband.

"I just instantly burst into tears," she says.

Remember how many times I have said the issue ad writes itself? Here we have a woman who got health insurance, really cheap, and who had to overcome a deliberate GOP obstacle to get it:

Smith, a 60-year-old medical transcriptionist in Clearwater, Fla., must use the federal website to buy health insurance because Florida opted not to run its own.

The people are not going to forget who tried to stop them from getting insurance.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back