Political Liberty and The Right of Popular Rebellion Against Tyranny

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Political Liberty and The Right of Popular Rebellion Against Tyranny: It is a liberal concept. So is democracy as well as republicanism. Conservatives in the USA come out of the liberal tradition.

We are all liberals. We're liberals of different stripes.

Sane, rational, and reasonable people know tyranny does not exist in the USA today. Why? We have representative government with open and free elections. The ultimate power resides in the vote, not money or political power.

Political Liberty and The Right of Popular Rebellion Against Tyranny: It is a liberal concept. So is democracy as well as republicanism. Conservatives in the USA come out of the liberal tradition.

Sane, rational, and reasonable people know tyranny does not exist in the USA today. Why? We have representative government with open and free elections. The ultimate power resides in the vote, not money or political power.

:lol:

Yer kidding, right?

Exactly right. And preserving this tradition becomes more and more difficult as progressivism permeates
Liberals, today, tend to promote using taxpayer money to improve society; progressives are more likely to promote using the power of government to make large institutions (corporations, for example) play by the same rules as the rest of society.

"To put it in more concrete terms - a liberal solution to some of our current problems with high energy costs would be to increase funding for programs like the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).

"A more 'progressive' solution would be to increase LIHEAP but also crack down on price gouging and pass laws better-regulating the oil industry's profiteering and market manipulation tactics.

"A liberal policy towards prescription drugs is one that would throw a lot of taxpayer cash at the pharmaceutical industry to get them to provide medicine to the poor;

"A progressive prescription drug policy would be one that centered around price regulations and bulk purchasing in order to force down the actual cost of medicine in America (much of which was originally developed with taxpayer R&D money)."

What s the Difference Between a Liberal and a Progressive David Sirota

Conservatives in the USA come out of the liberal tradition.
Exactly right. And preserving this tradition becomes more and more difficult as progressivism permeates.
Dante agrees, but where I believe you jump the ship is when you lump all Democrats, liberals, leftists, and others into the progressive camp. It's also amusing to think you do not understand how many conservatives have had a progressive agenda throughout our history

Yer kidding, right?

seriously, get with the program or sit back and learn something.

No serious person would deny these facts

Exactly right. And preserving this tradition becomes more and more difficult as progressivism permeates
Liberals, today, tend to promote using taxpayer money to improve society; progressives are more likely to promote using the power of government to make large institutions (corporations, for example) play by the same rules as the rest of society.

"To put it in more concrete terms - a liberal solution to some of our current problems with high energy costs would be to increase funding for programs like the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).

"A more 'progressive' solution would be to increase LIHEAP but also crack down on price gouging and pass laws better-regulating the oil industry's profiteering and market manipulation tactics.

"A liberal policy towards prescription drugs is one that would throw a lot of taxpayer cash at the pharmaceutical industry to get them to provide medicine to the poor;

"A progressive prescription drug policy would be one that centered around price regulations and bulk purchasing in order to force down the actual cost of medicine in America (much of which was originally developed with taxpayer R&D money)."

What s the Difference Between a Liberal and a Progressive David Sirota

Sounds more like the progressive agenda espoused by Sirota than it does a fair and balanced look at liberalism versus progressivism

Exactly right. And preserving this tradition becomes more and more difficult as progressivism permeates.
Dante agrees, but where I believe you jump the ship is when you lump all Democrats, liberals, leftists, and others into the progressive camp. It's also amusing to think you do not understand how many conservatives have had a progressive agenda throughout our history
Where did I lump these all together? Reread my post. I said that we conservatives face more and more difficulty in preserving our liberal founding as the country shifts ever more to the left.

And who were some of these conservative progressives?

Where did I lump these all together? Reread my post. I said that we conservatives face more and more difficulty in preserving our liberal founding as the country shifts ever more to the left.

And who were some of these conservative progressives?

The country has shifted to the left? Since when? Are we to the left of Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush?

as to conservative who became progressives -- conservatives will say they ran away from conservatism.

Sounds more like the progressive agenda espoused by Sirota than it does a fair and balanced look at liberalism versus progressivism
Is this the particular Sirota you mean?
"In May 2006, Random House's Crown Publishers released Sirota's book Hostile Takeover.[26]

"The first chapter of the book was published in the New York Times in July 2006.[27] Sirota read sections of his book in public.[9]

"In the book, Sirota argued that corporate interests are driving U.S. economic policy. The book became a New York Timesbestseller on July 9, 2006, entering at #23 on the nonfiction list. The paperback edition came out a year later."
David Sirota - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Is this the particular Sirota you mean?
"In May 2006, Random House's Crown Publishers released Sirota's book Hostile Takeover.[26]

"The first chapter of the book was published in the New York Times in July 2006.[27] Sirota read sections of his book in public.[9]

"In the book, Sirota argued that corporate interests are driving U.S. economic policy. The book became a New York Timesbestseller on July 9, 2006, entering at #23 on the nonfiction list. The paperback edition came out a year later."
David Sirota - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
that is who you quoted/linked to

You're a fucking moron. Is it liberty to have your property confiscated? Is it liberty to be spied on?

Furthermore, you're no liberal. You're a progressive authoritarian.

You're a fucking moron. Is it liberty to have your property confiscated? Is it liberty to be spied on?

negative or positive liberty? do you even know what you are talking about? answer seems to be an unequivocal 'no'

negative or positive liberty? do you even know what you are talking about? answer seems to be an unequivocal 'no'

I know exactly what I'm talking about. There is no positive liberty in having ones property confiscated. They are being restrained - no, violated.

All the same, you're not a liberal. You're a progressive authoritarian.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

Yer kidding, right?

I doubt it. Just another lost progressive authoritarian trying to fit into a liberals coat.

I know exactly what I'm talking about. There is no positive liberty in having ones property confiscated. They are being restrained - no, violated.

TakeAStepBack
from the crack pipe

The tendency to refer to oneself in the third person is often viewed by psychologists as a symptom of narcissism. In order to learn how to effectively refer to yourself in the third person, it is often desirable to understand the narcissist mentality, and develop an ability to "role-play" as an actual narcissist. Needless to say, the comedic potential of having this ability cannot be overestimated, but there is also danger, in that you may inadvertently develop strong narcissistic tendencies in yourself without realizing it.

TakeAStepBack
from the crack pipe

Well, thats a very thoughtful retort, Dainte. Just what is expected from a progressive authoritarian prancing around as a liberal.

Forum List

Back