Political correctness: how the right invented a phantom enemy

I'm virulently against PC because it is intellectually dishonest, cowardly, authoritarian, and (worst of all) terribly counter-productive on an inter-generational scale.

Not to mention flying directly against the spirit (please note I wrote "spirit") of the First Amendment, which is my personal fave.

I know, you can't tell that great joke about the blonde and the blow job in the office anymore. That's just horrible, mean old PC Police reporting you to HR.

All of those are pretty goddamn important negatives in my book, and I provide specifics & examples all the time. And many of the specifics & examples I post are provided by honest liberals who feel PC has gone too far.

Washed Up Comedian = Honest Liberal. Not a guy who has failed to realize his shtick ain't funny no more.

And by the way, there ARE people who claim/pretend the behavior doesn't exist, such as the OP.

No, we just don't think it's a problem. YOu actually should be sensitive to other people's feelings. If you really can't make a point without insulting someone's gender or race, you probably didn't have a point. You were probably just being an asshole. Which is why HR had that little talk with you.
And right on cue, again, one of the more noxious PC zealots just has to jump in with both feet to illustrate my point for me. In this case, he deploys a PC zealot tactic I call "isolation". The idea is to try to isolate the smallest parts of a much larger argument in an effort to minimize them and, by extension, discredit the larger argument as a whole.

Two great examples in his post:

Washed Up Comedian = Honest Liberal. Not a guy who has failed to realize his shtick ain't funny no more. - Included in my ever-growing list (provided upon request) of honest liberals who feel that PC has gone too far are a couple of comedians (Maher & Seinfeld). The list also includes President Barack Obama and several nationally-known liberals in and out of media. But, using "isolation", he simply ignores them and just goes after comedians.

You were probably just being an asshole. Which is why HR had that little talk with you. - Here, again using "isolation" - and making it personal - he ignores the much broader picture of PC and tries to bring it down to something I theoretically said at work (?). Yeah, that's a little nuts, but that's how these people think. Imagine how much denial and avoidance of facts they have to exercise to be able to narrow such a large issue down to some contrived individual conversation at work.

Thanks as always, Joe. I can always count on you.

dblack, this is precisely the kind of behavior that has made PC zealots so dishonest, so nasty, and so counter-productive.

Last edited:
image.jpeg

Surely PC is another word for good manners ?

No. PC is another word for ignoring the Truth to protect the feelings of some group that no longer wants to accept their place or failings in life.
No. PC is something boors abhor because their rudeness is checked by society. PC is bane to the rude, the crude, the socially inept.

Tell that to the girls of Rotherham.

Rotherham child sexual exploitation scandal - Wikipedia

Political correctness: how the right invented a phantom enemy | Moira Weigel

Throughout an erratic campaign, Trump consistently blasted political correctness, blaming it for an extraordinary range of ills and using the phrase to deflect any and every criticism. During the first debate of the Republican primaries, Fox News host Megyn Kelly asked Trump how he would answer the charge that he was “part of the war on women”.

“You’ve called women you don’t like ‘fat pigs,’ ‘dogs,’ ‘slobs,’ and ‘disgusting animals’,” Kelly pointed out. “You once told a contestant on Celebrity Apprentice it would be a pretty picture to see her on her knees …”

“I think the big problem this country has is being politically correct,” Trump answered, to audience applause. “I’ve been challenged by so many people, I don’t frankly have time for total political correctness. And to be honest with you, this country doesn’t have time either.”

That's the GOP's biggest excuse for their racism.

YOur race card use is noted.

Your point is invalid.

"Phantom enemy?"

Political analysis fAiL..........Trump mainly won because Americans rejected political correctness en-masse. But if progressives want to cling to this notion, go..........go..........go!! More winning for our side. These morons keep getting smoked in election after election for years now and stick with the same fAiL assertions. Its all good............:deal::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

No. PC is another word for ignoring the Truth to protect the feelings of some group that no longer wants to accept their place or failings in life.
No. PC is something boors abhor because their rudeness is checked by society. PC is bane to the rude, the crude, the socially inept.

Tell that to the girls of Rotherham.

Rotherham child sexual exploitation scandal - Wikipedia
What's your pint? In order to avoid sexual exploitation we have to,behave like bullies?

"Phantom enemy?"

Political analysis fAiL..........Trump mainly won because Americans rejected political correctness en-masse. But if progressives want to cling to this notion, go..........go..........go!! More winning for our side. These morons keep getting smoked in election after election for years now and stick with the same fAiL assertions. Its all good............:deal::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:
But more Americans voted for Clinton than Trump.

A lot more did. So it could be argued that Americans rejected boorish,racist, misogyny.

The population of Idaho is 1.5 million people. The population of NYC is 9 million people. Without an electoral college, one state would be worth over five times less than just one city. What President would give a damn about their concerns? If anything, the left would target them (like they do the wealthy today) to provide funds for those populated areas.

So what we have now is the people in the populated areas subsidizing these sparsely populated states. for instance, while a taxpayer in NY will only see .79 of his tax dollar returned do his state, the guy from Idaho is going to get 1.28. That's really kind of fucked up.

ftsbs-large.jpg

Of course, guess who is going to whine about being taxed too much.

The only reason you are finding problems with this is because it has worked against your side in a few recent elections. If it benefited you, you would be sticking up for the college like it meant life or death. It's just like the immigration debate. Most minorities vote Democrat. But the Democrat politicians will never tell you why they want to flood this country with immigrants, instead, they tell you how it shows our compassion and caring.

except who is actually flooding the country with immigrants? "Democrats", or rich Republicans who don't want to pay Willy White Trash a fair wage.

Is that so? Then why not take advice from a real New Yorker? Here are some pretty amazing stats about the city by Bill O'

Bill O'Reilly: Video Center - Talking Points Memos

So that stupid people's votes can count because they didn't have the good sense to move to where the jobs are? No, that isn't a good reason.

It is a good reason, and calling people stupid makes it a good reason. Do you honestly see yourself right now? Calling people stupid for voting for one Donald Trump? How do you expect people to react when you talk to them like that or treat them that way?

In fact, there's NO GOOD REASON to have an electoral college, a racist institution meant to keep the voters down

I absolutely cannot believe you said that out loud. The only reason you don't like the electoral college is because it's a "racist institution." Holy shit man.

So we have a president now who only represents the Rust Belt and Rural trash that voted for him,

Go on, keep saying stuff like this. Please. You're just helping your opponent's cause.

So that stupid people's votes can count because they didn't have the good sense to move to where the jobs are? No, that isn't a good reason.

In fact, there's NO GOOD REASON to have an electoral college, a racist institution meant to keep the voters down.

And, yes, I do have contempt for people who were screwed over by the last time the GOP let the rich rape the working class, who then voted to let them do it again.

Who raped the working class more than DumBama? He's the most anti-business President of our lifetime.

He's closed down oil rigs, electric companies, coal mines, auto dealerships, cigarette shops....... He made businesses over 50 employees more expensive to operate and expand. He encouraged automation (our largest job killer) and even hiring immigrants over Americans since they don't count as Americans thus not going over their 50 employee limit. His first line of business was to increase cigarette taxes--a product mostly used by the working class and the poor.

The electoral college has worked perfectly for ALL Americans until liberals came along. Come to think of it, everything worked better until liberals came along.

So we have a president now who only represents the Rust Belt and Rural trash that voted for him, because they were stupid enough to believe that he'd bring their jobs back that don't exist anymore?

Really, guy? Really?

So you all applaud when Trump give tax breaks to MILLIONAIRES in order to not screw carrier workers as bad as they were going to screw them.

Something wrong with saving jobs? The government taking less of their money away is a bad thing?

Then tell us: how much money would the government be losing if they went through with their plans (under Hillary) and closed the division altogether? Then you wouldn't be getting less taxes from that company, you'd be getting no taxes from that company.

Your kind of thinking is what steered people away from liberal policies. We would rather have some jobs than none, and the liberals would rather have no jobs than to lure a company back home with less taxation.

Not really. Hillary won people with a college degree. It was the dumb white trash who never finished college that supported Trump because he lied to them about their dad's factory job coming back.

College degrees do not infer high intelligence on someone.

All it entitles most of the liberal college graduates to do is act like assholes to everyone else.

Fits Hillary I guess.

You can't equate the America of the 40s with the America of the 80s.

If the Flag was seen as racist, in the 80s, there would have been a huge outcry. It was presented as, and accepted as, a harmless symbol of regional pride.

Because that is what it had become accepted as by the wider national population, generations ago.

Well, no. You see, between 1865 and the 1960's, not a lot of people displayed the "Confederate Flag" (Please note, the flag we are talking about was never actually used by anyone, it's more of a stylized version of some battle flags.) Then in the 1960's, when them there uppity black folks started demanding htings like the right to vote and not being lynched for looking at a white woman the wrong way, some of you inbred, redneck assholes decided to start flying the confederate flag.

Just like the Nazi flag wasn't popular with racists until long after WWII.

So, yeah, I can guess you can argue that the Confederate flag on the General Lee wasn't clearly offensive... if you're stupid.

Today, we know- yeah, that's realy fucking offensive, which is why you'll never see a rerun of the Dukes of Hazard again..

Interesting. Burning the American flag is free speech, but waving the Confederate flag isn't, and racist to boot.

Yeah, you keep going with that.

Studies have shown that people like Joe are literally sadists who get off on causing pain in others.

I enjoy inflicting pain on stupid people like you, but your pain is coming when Trumpenfuhrer fucks up the economy for stupid rednecks like you.

Look at Joe spazzing out. Oh my, he can hardly contain himself. If you're that traumatized, perhaps this board isn't where you should be.

THank you for admitting what we can all see. You are a sadist.

Your rationalization for your vile behavior is of no interest to decent people.

Your racism is noted. YOu are a racist asshole.

Guy, you are the ones who celebrate monsters who wanted to own other people as property.

Really? Says the liberal who acts like his party owns the African American demographic.

Forum List

Back