Police State: Santa Monica Extends Smoking Ban To Apartments, Condos...

It is always amusing when a municipality taxes a product, then restricts it use resulting in lower tax revenue.

Obviously once the revenue is sufficiently reduced, the'll have to find something else to tax, like soft drinks and fruit juice.

There is no way someone could protect themselves against a neighbor lying about cigarette smoking unless surveillance cameras were put into every apartment and condo. Even in bathrooms where an exhaust fan would eliminate the smoke.

After smokers are wiped out they will go after alcohol again.

It will be okay if everyone just smoked pot.

It is always amusing when a municipality taxes a product, then restricts it use resulting in lower tax revenue.

Obviously once the revenue is sufficiently reduced, the'll have to find something else to tax, like soft drinks and fruit juice.

There is no way someone could protect themselves against a neighbor lying about cigarette smoking unless surveillance cameras were put into every apartment and condo. Even in bathrooms where an exhaust fan would eliminate the smoke.

After smokers are wiped out they will go after alcohol again.

And a whole lot more. Big Brother's appetite for total control can never be satisfied.

There's something about living on the west coast that just seems to make people really stupid. I can't figure out what it is. Is it the water? The air? Is there something in the soil? Folks do some pretty weird shit out that way...

California is indeed a very strange place, I lived there for 3 years. I was at a party once and when I asked if it was ok to smoke in there they looked at me like I was a Taliban, but than 15 minutes later a guy came out with a plate of cocaine for party favors.:eusa_shifty:

“It also requires existing residents to designate their units as smoking or non smoking and from then on it will be prohibited to smoke in a non smoking unit,” said Adam Radinksy, head of the Consumer Protection Unit in Santa Monica.

Its "police state" to prohibit smoking in a designated non-smoking area?

The city council voted 4-2 on Tuesday to expand a smoking prohibition in the coastal city.

Where does the Santa Monica city council derive its power?

This has been going on for a while, when I lived in California my landlord specifically listed no smoking as part of my leese agreement.

Well now you and your Landlord have no choice. It will be interesting to see how they'll enforce this. More surveillance cameras?

Not sure how they'll enforce this, whats next? no alcohol allowed in the apartments, can't have women over for one night stands? my god what is this country becoming?

The lawful consumption of alcohol does not affect anyone's health but the consumer.

To me this sounds like a really stupid policy, BTW, but this is a decision for Santa Monica to make. Its not really your business or mine, less you live there.

Bring on the Whaaaaaambulance by smokers who can't accept that their habit harms other people.

Claiming this is unconstitutional is further absurd. If this is unconstitutional, then so are noise ordances. You rights don't permit you to harm others, jack legs.

Well now you and your Landlord have no choice. It will be interesting to see how they'll enforce this. More surveillance cameras?

Not sure how they'll enforce this, whats next? no alcohol allowed in the apartments, can't have women over for one night stands? my god what is this country becoming?

The lawful consumption of alcohol does not affect anyone's health but the consumer.

To me this sounds like a really stupid policy, BTW, but this is a decision for Santa Monica to make. Its not really your business or mine, less you live there.

These things trickle down usually, like the no smoking in bars thing. That was only in a few places originally now it has spread throughout the whole country.

Smoking Banned Inside Santa Monica Residences

The city council voted 4-2 on Tuesday to expand a smoking prohibition in the coastal city.

Smoking is already banned at beaches, parks, restaurants and near buildings in Santa Monica, but Tuesday night the city council sought to expand that prohibition and voted 4-2 to ban smoking for all new tenants of apartments and condos inside their residences – with one exception.

“It also requires existing residents to designate their units as smoking or non smoking and from then on it will be prohibited to smoke in a non smoking unit,” said Adam Radinksy, head of the Consumer Protection Unit in Santa Monica.

The coastal city’s smoking bans date back almost two decades and Radinsky – along with other supporters of the ban – say the measures are in the interest of public health.

“People have come to testify to city council about asthma problems, people who had no prior health problems who developed health problems because their neighbors smoke,” he said.

Wayne Jackson, a smoker, says Southland residents breathe in pollution all day – pointing to a bus passing by as a “health issue.”

“I think it's a little too much control,” he said.

Jennifer Jones – who exercises in her apartment – describes smelling her neighbor's cigarette through the walls and vents.

“It’s not like a light smoke; it's really heavy,” Jones said.

Still, she has concerns with the new ordinance.

“I really don't think they should be telling people what to do if they are paying for the place they're living in,” Jones said.

Other cities have taken similar measures. Pasadena will make all apartments, condos and townhouses smoke-free by 2013 – a move Santa Monica is also looking into...

Read More:
Smoking Banned Inside Santa Monica Residences | NBC Southern California
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

This has been going on for a while, when I lived in California my landlord specifically listed no smoking as part of my leese agreement.

People will report their neighbors to AttackWatch.

In Minnesota, there is a ban (at least in Rochester) on smoking in public. You can't even be seen walking down the street smoking a cigarette. I suppose soon people will be banned from smoking in their cars. I read about a housing development, where people bought the houses, but it's been declared a non-smoking neighborhood so people cannot smoke in their own homes. It's getting ridiculous. I sneeze when people are wearing perfume, so I guess I better go tell politicians to ban that.

I suppose the control freaks will ban pets, too, since people are allergic.

In Minnesota, there is a ban (at least in Rochester) on smoking in public. You can't even be seen walking down the street smoking a cigarette. I suppose soon people will be banned from smoking in their cars. I read about a housing development, where people bought the houses, but it's been declared a non-smoking neighborhood so people cannot smoke in their own homes. It's getting ridiculous. I sneeze when people are wearing perfume, so I guess I better go tell politicians to ban that.

When it gets to that point you might as well just making smoking illegal and call it a day.

These things trickle down usually, like the no smoking in bars thing. That was only in a few places originally now it has spread throughout the whole country.

And? One local populace can't copy off another local populace if they like the idea? What's your point?

In Minnesota, there is a ban (at least in Rochester) on smoking in public. You can't even be seen walking down the street smoking a cigarette.

Nor can you, in most places, walk down the street with a beer.

I suppose soon people will be banned from smoking in their cars. I read about a housing development, where people bought the houses, but it's been declared a non-smoking neighborhood so people cannot smoke in their own homes. It's getting ridiculous. I sneeze when people are wearing perfume, so I guess I better go tell politicians to ban that.

The animals one is allowed to keep is already regulated by government.
Ferret Ban in New York City
In BR where I used to live there is a maximum of three chickens allowed.

And? One local populace can't copy off another local populace if they like the idea? What's your point?

I want my damn ciggaretts!:eusa_shhh:

Holy fuck, we are turning into a combo of the old USSR and Soviet Russia. Next pre marital sex will be punished by a prison sentence.:mad:

Where people will resort to all kinds of gay sex and sodomy, which will once again be illegal.
Just wait til Obama's favored Muslims take over and invoke Sharia law. (Of course he, Pelosi and some others will remain above the law.)

Yes, God forbid a law abiding Owner and Taxpayer decide whether they want to allow smoking in their own Restaurant/Bar. Big Brother cannot possibly allow such subversive Terrorist behavior. What a country we're becoming.

the lawful consumption of alcohol does not affect anyone's health but the consumer.

To me this sounds like a really stupid policy, btw, but this is a decision for santa monica to make. Its not really your business or mine, less you live there.

these things trickle down usually, like the no smoking in bars thing. That was only in a few places originally now it has spread throughout the whole country.

and? One local populace can't copy off another local populace if they like the idea? What's your point?

government intrusion.

Yes, God forbid a law abiding Owner and Taxpayer decide whether they want to allow smoking in their own Restaurant/Bar. Big Brother cannot possibly allow such subversive Terrorist behavior. What a country we're becoming.

We are starting to remind me of the old USSR.

It's for your own good. I have actually met women who believe if they are exposed to cigarette smoke their children will be born without arms or legs.

Forum List

Back