Police State: Santa Monica Extends Smoking Ban To Apartments, Condos...

Cigarette taxes support the State Children's Health Insurance Program (S-CHIP). If you get rid of all those evil smokers, millions of poor children would go uninsured. Why does California hate poor children???

California is FUBAR.. don'tyaknow?

Big Brother absurdities like this, turn Citizen against Citizen as well. The best way to enforce this is to encourage neighbors to turn each other in for violations. The only other way would be to increase surveillance on Citizens in their private dwellings. So i guess more video surveillance is on the way. Very dark times are ahead for our Nation.

Smoking Banned Inside Santa Monica Residences

The city council voted 4-2 on Tuesday to expand a smoking prohibition in the coastal city.

Smoking is already banned at beaches, parks, restaurants and near buildings in Santa Monica, but Tuesday night the city council sought to expand that prohibition and voted 4-2 to ban smoking for all new tenants of apartments and condos inside their residences – with one exception.

“It also requires existing residents to designate their units as smoking or non smoking and from then on it will be prohibited to smoke in a non smoking unit,” said Adam Radinksy, head of the Consumer Protection Unit in Santa Monica.

The coastal city’s smoking bans date back almost two decades and Radinsky – along with other supporters of the ban – say the measures are in the interest of public health.

“People have come to testify to city council about asthma problems, people who had no prior health problems who developed health problems because their neighbors smoke,” he said.

Wayne Jackson, a smoker, says Southland residents breathe in pollution all day – pointing to a bus passing by as a “health issue.”

“I think it's a little too much control,” he said.

Jennifer Jones – who exercises in her apartment – describes smelling her neighbor's cigarette through the walls and vents.

“It’s not like a light smoke; it's really heavy,” Jones said.

Still, she has concerns with the new ordinance.

“I really don't think they should be telling people what to do if they are paying for the place they're living in,” Jones said.

Other cities have taken similar measures. Pasadena will make all apartments, condos and townhouses smoke-free by 2013 – a move Santa Monica is also looking into...

Read More:
Smoking Banned Inside Santa Monica Residences | NBC Southern California
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

1070 is okay but this ordinance is not? Arizona argues the Feds are not doing their job so the state must enforce federal immigration law. Since the Feds won't outlaw tobacco which is a known killer, why shouldn't local government restrict its use?

Last edited:
I say put it in the hands of the apartment owner. If I owned a complex there I would make it smoke free. No smokers. They tend to trash and smell up the place. But that should be left up to the owner.

Ahhh, the old "no blacks, no Irish, no dogs' thing. Smokers are no different to anyone else... they are individuals, they don't 'trash' anything. Smoke does leave a smell... so do potheads. I'd rather rent to a smoker than a pothead.

The city council voted 4-2 on Tuesday to expand a smoking prohibition in the coastal city.

Smoking is already banned at beaches, parks, restaurants and near buildings in Santa Monica, but Tuesday night the city council sought to expand that prohibition and voted 4-2 to ban smoking for all new tenants of apartments and condos inside their residences – with one exception.

“It also requires existing residents to designate their units as smoking or non smoking and from then on it will be prohibited to smoke in a non smoking unit,” said Adam Radinksy, head of the Consumer Protection Unit in Santa Monica.

The coastal city’s smoking bans date back almost two decades and Radinsky – along with other supporters of the ban – say the measures are in the interest of public health.

“People have come to testify to city council about asthma problems, people who had no prior health problems who developed health problems because their neighbors smoke,” he said.

Wayne Jackson, a smoker, says Southland residents breathe in pollution all day – pointing to a bus passing by as a “health issue.”

Jennifer Jones – who exercises in her apartment – describes smelling her neighbor's cigarette through the walls and vents.

“I really don't think they should be telling people what to do if they are paying for the place they're living in,” Jones said.

Other cities have taken similar measures. Pasadena will make all apartments, condos and townhouses smoke-free by 2013 – a move Santa Monica is also looking into...

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

1070 is okay but this ordinance is not? Arizona argues the Feds are not doing their job so the state must enforce federal immigration law. Since the Feds won't outlaw tobacco which is a known killer, why shouldn't local government restrict its use?

I think if you're caught smoking in your home, you should immediately be detained under the NDAA. You're clearly a Terrorist.

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

This has been going on for a while, when I lived in California my landlord specifically listed no smoking as part of my leese agreement.

I see a significant difference when your landlord, the property owner, and you enter into a contractural agreement that specifies use of that property and when government issues a prohibition of a legal activity in a private establishment. Now, if the government were to make illegal the sales, trading, possession, or use of tobacco products within it's jurisdiction, they might have a leg to stand on.

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

This has been going on for a while, when I lived in California my landlord specifically listed no smoking as part of my leese agreement.

Well now you and your Landlord have no choice. It will be interesting to see how they'll enforce this. More surveillance cameras?

Probably swat team raids if a neighbor files a complaint.

Well now you and your Landlord have no choice. It will be interesting to see how they'll enforce this. More surveillance cameras?

Probably swat team raids if a neighbor files a complaint.

Wow, sounds horrific. But i guess that's where we're at as a nation currently. Big Brother loves to turn Citizen against Citizen. What a depressing nation we're becoming.

There's something about living on the west coast that just seems to make people really stupid. I can't figure out what it is. Is it the water? The air? Is there something in the soil? Folks do some pretty weird shit out that way...

So it seems; clean air, clean water and not doing the same thing over and over again may seem stupid to you; not supporting clean air, clean water policy and unwilling to risk change seems insane to me.

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

So you see a valid comparison between Arizona’s law, which basically gives law enforcement the duty to assist the federal government in enforcing laws already on the books about immigration policy and targets non-US citizens already breaking the immigration laws, and infringing the rights of US citizens to engage in legal, private behavior within the confines of their personal residences? I’d like to see you expound upon this concept; it would be interesting to see what you consider to be similarities between the two.

It is always amusing when a municipality taxes a product, then restricts it use resulting in lower tax revenue.

Obviously once the revenue is sufficiently reduced, the'll have to find something else to tax, like soft drinks and fruit juice.

There is no way someone could protect themselves against a neighbor lying about cigarette smoking unless surveillance cameras were put into every apartment and condo. Even in bathrooms where an exhaust fan would eliminate the smoke.

I've no doubt the SCOTUS will emphatically shoot this down, if it even has to go that far. This is completely unconstitutional.

how come u think they would shoot this down because its unconstitutional yet we have a tax mandate?

:eusa_shifty:True. Instead of shooting this down they will suggest that the ones that do smoke in their units to pay a tax every time they lite up. Why not?

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

:eusa_eh:Yep! Even in the bathrooms.

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

Good. Smoking is disgusting.

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

:eusa_hand:And so is gov't taking away our freedoms.

Does the ban affect medical marijuana???

Liberals love marijuana but hate tobacco......insane hypocrites.

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

Even more disgusting, is Goose Stepping assholes like you.

They banned smoking on the property at my job, I have to go across the street to a vacant parking lot to smoke, what a crock of shit.

It is always amusing when a municipality taxes a product, then restricts it use resulting in lower tax revenue.

Obviously once the revenue is sufficiently reduced, the'll have to find something else to tax, like soft drinks and fruit juice.

There is no way someone could protect themselves against a neighbor lying about cigarette smoking unless surveillance cameras were put into every apartment and condo. Even in bathrooms where an exhaust fan would eliminate the smoke.

After smokers are wiped out they will go after alcohol again.

Forum List

Back