Police State: Santa Monica Extends Smoking Ban To Apartments, Condos...

Even Russia knew that the people should not be totally controlled.

Yes, smoking will go to the way of the spittoon. But it will be quickly followed by (and already is) a whole new war, on food. What the government claims is unhealthy will get the cigarette treatment.

Why do smokers think they have a god given right to spew smoke everywhere?

No one said that but stopping people from smoking in their own homes is ridiculous and very Communist Russia like. Fuck even Saddam Hussein let his people smoke.:eusa_hand:
The ban does not extend to all homes. Read the article.

Government already controls what you do in your own home when what you do affects your neighbors' enjoyment of their homes. Ever heard of a noise ordinance?

See my previous post.

You obviously know nothing about Ron Paul. Big Brother Totalitarianism is not a Federal Government issue exclusively. In this case, a State chose the Big Brother Totalitarian route. And that's wrong. You should check out Peace . Gold . Liberty | Revolution | Daily Paul and Ron Paul 2012 Official Campaign WebsiteRon Paul 2012 Presidential Campaign Committee to learn more about the man. Enjoy.

Stop insinuating my comments deal with the validity or practicality of that particular law.

It's not about the law and how stupid it may or may not be, it's the principle of using the system the way it was intended.

If this law causes as much of a problem in Santa Monica as it does in this thread the people responsible will be voted out and the law repealed.

Problem?

No, you're just distracting and attempting to derail the thread. A State going the Big Brother Totalitarianism route is no better than the Federal Government doing it. The thread isn't about the States' Rights issue. Obviously, they have the right to pass such absurd Laws. But that's not what this discussion is about.

Its becoming quite clear that conservatives think they know what's best for a locality better than the voters of that locality do.

Kinda stuck up if you ask me.

Last edited:
Why do smokers think they have a god given right to spew smoke everywhere?

No one said that but stopping people from smoking in their own homes is ridiculous and very Communist Russia like. Fuck even Saddam Hussein let his people smoke.:eusa_hand:

Government already controls what you do in your own home when what you do affects your neighbors' enjoyment of their homes. Ever heard of a noise ordinance?

How in the world is me sitting smoking a Newport in my own home equate with me making alot of noise?:confused:

You obviously know nothing about Ron Paul. Big Brother Totalitarianism is not a Federal Government issue exclusively. In this case, a State chose the Big Brother Totalitarian route. And that's wrong. You should check out Peace . Gold . Liberty | Revolution | Daily Paul and Ron Paul 2012 Official Campaign WebsiteRon Paul 2012 Presidential Campaign Committee to learn more about the man. Enjoy.

Stop insinuating my comments deal with the validity or practicality of that particular law.

It's not about the law and how stupid it may or may not be, it's the principle of using the system the way it was intended.

If this law causes as much of a problem in Santa Monica as it does in this thread the people responsible will be voted out and the law repealed.

Problem?

No, you're just distracting and attempting to derail the thread. A State going the Big Brother Totalitarianism route is no better than the Federal Government doing it. The thread isn't about the States' Rights issue. Obviously, they have the right to pass such absurd Laws. But that's not what this discussion is about.

Yeah, I'm derailing a thread about locally enacted laws with the mention of states rights.

Sorry, like the other thread about sound ordinances, it's not 'the sky is falling' scenario you like to pretend it is.

The beauty of it all is that you can leave a city...or a state altogether if you get tired of the nanny statism, the downfall of what we are dealing with now is we cannot escape things like the ACA.
People in California are growing tired of the way the state is being run, which is why they are flooding into Texas and New Mexico. Businesses are leaving in droves and the entitlement class are moving into the state. This is what happens when the lefts policies are put into place in full motion, sad thing is...the rest of us will pay for it. Eventually we wont be able to and the system will collapse. How goes California so goes the rest of the country.

How in the world is me sitting smoking a Newport in my own home equate with me making alot of noise?:confused:

The smoke leaves your home and others can smell it. If you are in an apartment complex it can easily get into your neighbor's house. You'll see the ban only applies to homes that are close together like apartments, condos and the like.

The smoke leaves your home and others can smell it. If you are in an apartment complex it can easily get into your neighbor's house. You'll see the ban only applies to homes that are close together like apartments, condos and the like.

How do you Nanny/Police Stater assholes plan on enforcing this absurdity. What will the penalties be for refusing to comply? Enlighten us.

How do you Nanny/Police Stater assholes plan on enforcing this absurdity. What will the penalties be for refusing to comply? Enlighten us.

These are good questions actually, how would this be enforced? my apartment in California had no smoking the lease and I complied for the most part but how would you verify this? and also what would the punishment be?

Ever notice people these days are just a bunch of pussies?

Ask Santa Monica. My presumption is they would use the police.

They're pussies for not wanting to breathe carcinogenic fumes in their own homes?

OK.

Make sense.

Just off the top of my head, if there was a situation where someone that had the right to, felt the need to report it, than they could. I'm sure there'd be plenty of instances where it would occur unnoticed, but I don't think they'll treat it like a serious crime, you know, like how you're treating it.

Paul, it has nothing to do with enforcing anything, it's about cramming as much nanny statist laws on the books as possible and overloading the system with mission creep. Ronald Reagan once said "People vote with their feet", I think we are seeing that now in California.

They're pussies for not wanting to breathe carcinogenic fumes in their own homes?

OK.

Make sense.

They're pussies for thinking that they are owed anything other than the own living conditions they have put themselves into. Just because you dont like that your neighbor smokes does not mean the state should pass a law that bans your neighbor from smoking on their own property. If you dont like that your neighbors smoke, move.

Ask Santa Monica. My presumption is they would use the police.

How would the Police be informed of these violations? And how would the Police enforce it?

Jesus, stop the god damn whining.

Smoking kills, banning it makes sense unless you are an idiot.

Just off the top of my head, if there was a situation where someone that had the right to, felt the need to report it, than they could. I'm sure there'd be plenty of instances where it would occur unnoticed, but I don't think they'll treat it like a serious crime, you know, like how you're treating it.

This is a good law to get people started with video taping their neighbors for the upcoming nazi police state. The only possible way anything could be done is if the people where caught on video committing the crime. Remember Obamas "If you see something, report it" mantra, this is just an extension of that. You know who else had a "If you see something, report it" mantra? Saddam Hussein, before he went and killed hundreds of thousands of his own people.

Forum List

Back