Police State: New Jersey Bans Smiling In Driver's License Photos...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Wow, the Goose Steppers here are gonna love this one. Oh Big Brother, what will he think of next?

Getting a driver’s license in the Garden State? Don’t turn that frown upside down.

It turns out motorists in New Jersey are not allowed to smile in their driver’s license photos because doing so could interfere with new facial recognition software.

The policy actually took effect in January but has gone largely unnoticed — that is, until Velvet McNeill of Sicklerville, N.J. brought it to light.

McNeill, 38, told the Philadelphia Daily News she went to have her driver‘s license photo taken last week when a manager at the Motor Vehicle Commission office informed her she wasn’t allowed to smile. McNeill was so incensed that she left, saying the staff couldn’t adequately explain the ban on grins.

“Why should we all look like androids, looking mopey? I know there are some people who don‘t have good driver’s licenses, but I actually keep all mine,” McNeil said.

According to the Daily News, the new software bars applicants from making any kind of exaggerated facial expression that could throw off the computer. The goal is to stop fraud by flagging photos of people who are already in the system under another name.

“That could be someone trying to steal someone else’s identity to get insurance benefits, or someone trying to get out of a DUI by getting a license under another name,” Mike Horan, spokesman for the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, told the newspaper. “This helps us weed out fraud.”

While slight smiles are fine, “Hey-I-won-the-lottery-type smiles” are not, Horan said. “To get an accurate photo, you don’t want an excessively expressive face in the photo.”

But that’s not the end of the story: According to the Daily News, Pennsylvania and Delaware each use the software too.

“Smile/no-smile is not a problem,” Pennsylvania Department of Transportation spokeswoman Jan McKnight said. “You can smile in Pennsylvania.”

New Jersey Bans Smiling in Driver’s License Photos | TheBlaze.com

The advance of technology is making this kind of stuff inevitable. Ever see Minority Report? That is our future (without the pre-cogs, of course)

Isn't that the Christie's state?

It is, and it isn't. Regardless, Big Government oppression is not limited to just one Party. Our Two-Party System is really a One-Party System. They're on the same team on issues like this.

Oh my God! Whats next, forced labor camps?

Funny ..ha ha.....

The nexr thing will be TSA at the bus and train stations. Many that call for liberty now will embrace the idea.

Watch, it will happen....

Funny ..ha ha.....

The nexr thing will be TSA at the bus and train stations. Many that call for liberty now will embrace the idea.

Most Goose Steppers will cheer anything Big Brother does, as long as it's their Team in power at the time. But there are the loyal hardcore Goose Steppers too. Those people just blindly worship Big Brother no matter what. They're even scarier than the garden variety Goose Steppers.

Wow, the Goose Steppers here are gonna love this one. Oh Big Brother, what will he think of next?

Getting a driver’s license in the Garden State? Don’t turn that frown upside down.

It turns out motorists in New Jersey are not allowed to smile in their driver’s license photos because doing so could interfere with new facial recognition software.

The policy actually took effect in January but has gone largely unnoticed — that is, until Velvet McNeill of Sicklerville, N.J. brought it to light.

McNeill, 38, told the Philadelphia Daily News she went to have her driver‘s license photo taken last week when a manager at the Motor Vehicle Commission office informed her she wasn’t allowed to smile. McNeill was so incensed that she left, saying the staff couldn’t adequately explain the ban on grins.

“Why should we all look like androids, looking mopey? I know there are some people who don‘t have good driver’s licenses, but I actually keep all mine,” McNeil said.

According to the Daily News, the new software bars applicants from making any kind of exaggerated facial expression that could throw off the computer. The goal is to stop fraud by flagging photos of people who are already in the system under another name.

“That could be someone trying to steal someone else’s identity to get insurance benefits, or someone trying to get out of a DUI by getting a license under another name,” Mike Horan, spokesman for the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, told the newspaper. “This helps us weed out fraud.”

While slight smiles are fine, “Hey-I-won-the-lottery-type smiles” are not, Horan said. “To get an accurate photo, you don’t want an excessively expressive face in the photo.”

But that’s not the end of the story: According to the Daily News, Pennsylvania and Delaware each use the software too.

“Smile/no-smile is not a problem,” Pennsylvania Department of Transportation spokeswoman Jan McKnight said. “You can smile in Pennsylvania.”

Meh, here in Florida they have been telling us for decades not to smile. I personally don't care. I don't see this as an erosion of our liberties since we have limited rights on the government's roadways anyway. We agree to that when we get our licenses.

The partiot act was passed under full Republican control.

And strengthened under Democrat control. The NDAA was passed under Democrat control. Still think there's a Two-Party System? In reality, it's a One-Party System. They both fully agree on taking Freedom & Liberty away from the Citizens.

Funny ..ha ha.....

Most Goose Steppers will cheer anything Big Brother does, as long as it's their Team in power at the time. But there are the loyal hardcore Goose Steppers too. Those people just blindly worship Big Brother no matter what. They're even scarier than the garden variety Goose Steppers.

Yeah well why did most of the Tea Party caucus vote to extend the patriot act whild Obama was president?

And strengthened under Democrat control. The NDAA was passed under Democrat control. Still think there's a Two-Party System? In reality, it's a One-Party System. They both fully agree on taking Freedom & Liberty away from the Citizens.

The Repubs insisted on the passage of the NDAA against the President's veto threat. Lindsay Grahm (R) was the lead drum banger too if I recall correctly. I listened to the senate debate on CSpan as it was occurring.

Meh, here in Florida they have been telling us for decades not to smile. I personally don't care. I don't see this as an erosion of our liberties since we have limited rights on the government's roadways anyway. We agree to that when we get our licenses.

Unfortunately, your mind has been conditioned to accept such degradations. Most Americans have been conditioned that way since childhood. But you don't have to accept such degradations. They all work for us, the People. It's not the other way around.

The Repubs insisted on the passage of the NDAA against the President's veto threat. Lindsay Grahm (R) was the lead drum banger too if I recall correctly. I listened to the senate debate on CSpan as it was occurring.

BULLSHITE!! Both Parties fully supported it. And your guy signed it into Law.

Sounds like a good reason; but they need to fix the software.

Eh. My state passed some annoying ass law making it hard to renew my license so I haven't gone and done so. 1. I don't feel like driving that far 2. I don't feel like wasting my money 3. I don't feel like standing in line and having to be told I have the wrong documents...I have had my damn license for 5 damn years I shouldn't have to bring in my ss card,bc and 2 proofs of residence...

Funny ..ha ha.....

Yeah well why did most of the Tea Party caucus vote to extend the patriot act whild Obama was president?

Which Tea Party groups? There are a lot of frauds out there. Regardless though, Obama did strengthen the Patriot Act and sign the NDAA into Law. It is what it is.

Eh. My state passed some annoying ass law making it hard to renew my license so I haven't gone and done so. 1. I don't feel like driving that far 2. I don't feel like wasting my money 3. I don't feel like standing in line and having to be told I have the wrong documents...I have had my damn license for 5 damn years I shouldn't have to bring in my ss card,bc and 2 proofs of residence...

Why should you not have to prove you are who you say, and live where you say you do?

Gotta keep down dead people voting you know.

Forum List

Back