Police: Man charged in ATM killings

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By MARYCLAIRE DALE, Associated Press Writer

PHILADELPHIA - A convicted bank robber charged with killing two armored car guards spotted the vehicle on the road and followed it to the ATM machine, a homicide detective said Saturday.

Mustafi Ali, 36, of Philadelphia, then executed the two retired Philadelphia police officers as they serviced the cash machine, police said.

"He follows the truck, he sees an opportunity and he takes it," said the detective, who worked on the case but requested anonymity because he is not a supervisor and is not authorized to comment publicly.

Ali was scheduled to be arraigned later Saturday. He was arrested on an unrelated charge Friday afternoon and was later charged with two counts of murder, robbery, a firearms charge and other charges after giving a statement.

Ali previously served seven years in federal prison for bank robbery, the detective said. It was not clear if he had an attorney.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071006/ap_on_re_us/armored_car_shooting

This guy's just not real bright.

He did all that? No need for a trial then. He's guilty, the media said so.

wtf happened to the presumption of innocence?

Not much of a reason to presume innocence when you get caught on a video camera.

Not much of a reason to presume innocence when you get caught on a video camera.

I can think of a couple of ways in which the mens rea in the case can be defeated. No proof of mens rea, no conviction.

But regardless, he's still entitled to the presumption of innocence unless and until he's convicted.

I can think of a couple of ways in which the mens rea in the case can be defeated. No proof of mens rea, no conviction.

But regardless, he's still entitled to the presumption of innocence unless and until he's convicted.

What? plead insanity?

He did what he did. He intended to do it. He walked up to two men and shot them in cold blood.

The guy is evil. He will get his day in court and his presumption of innocence before the court. But the man is guilty.

What? plead insanity?

He did what he did. He intended to do it. He walked up to two men and shot them in cold blood.

The guy is evil. He will get his day in court and his presumption of innocence before the court. But the man is guilty.

Yes the court will proceed as if he's innocent.

"He follows the truck, he sees an opportunity and he takes it," said the detective, who worked on the case but requested anonymity because he is not a supervisor and is not authorized to comment publicly.

If it was actually said by the investigator (I'm leery of things like this, they could be made up for a bit of colour in the story) then I hope it doesn't prejudice the trial. It's interesting that the media can publish those remarks about a person who is facing serious charges and has not yet fronted court. I'm just not used to that sort of statement being published. And it's not about free speech, it's about keep the trial process fair.

As for a defence, who knows what's going on in his mind. Who knows what else is lurking in the shadows?

Forum List

Back