CA Libs - No Smoking In Your Own Apartment

red states rule

May 30, 2006
Now do gooder libs want to tell you what you can and can't do in your own apartment or condo.

Is there any aspect of life libs do not want control over?

And they say Pres Bush is taking away your rights

Calif. cities mull smoking ban for apartments

By Wendy Koch, USA TODAY
Lawmakers in two California cities are discussing unprecedented legislation this month that would widen a growing voluntary movement by landlords and resident associations to ban smoking inside apartments and condos.
Next Tuesday, the City Council of Belmont is scheduled to cast a final vote on an ordinance that would ban smoking in apartments and condos. The measure, which won initial approval last week, could trigger fines and evictions if neighbors complain and smokers don't heed repeated warnings.

YOUR VIEW: What do you think of the Calif. proposals? If you smoke, where do you light up?
TENANTS TANGLE: Neighbors take sides on tobacco

In Calabasas on Wednesday, the City Council discussed a proposal that would expand its anti-smoking law to bar lighting up inside existing apartments and most new condos. The council agreed to request changes to the measure that would exempt all condos and set aside a certain percentage of apartments for smokers, says city spokesman Michael Hafken. It is slated to consider the revised proposal next month.

The legislative push, which has triggered death threats against council members in both cities, is a controversial part of a mostly voluntary effort to prod landlords and condo associations to adopt smoke-free policies.

Health officials in about 30 states promote the health and economic benefits, including reduced fire risk and lower cleanup costs for multiunit housing, says Jim Bergman, director of the Smoke-Free Environments Law Project, a Michigan group funded partly by the state.

Tens of thousands of apartments and condos have gone smoke-free in the past five years, management companies and health activists say. Last month, Guardian Management began phasing in a smoke-free policy at 8,000 of its rental units, mostly in Oregon and Washington.

"We've proven the voluntary approach can work very well," Bergman says. He doesn't think legislative bans will work because of a "my home is my castle" philosophy.

"The time has come. The evils of smoking have been known for decades," says Barry Groveman, a Calabasas councilman who co-wrote the proposal.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...s_N.htm?csp=34

I totally agree to a point, dude.

I would say that if the apartment owner wanted smoke free units then so be it.

just like smoke free bars.

I do, however, absolutely hate how smokers have become the latest demographic up for crucification. Of course, Im a smoker so....

Pay for kids' health care? lets tax the smoker.
pay for government programs to reduce smoking (that simply does not work)? tax the smoker.
Its almost as if smokers are supposed to be some eternal fount of sin tax opportunity.

This, like emmidnant domain and guns, is an issue in which I part from my lefty comrads (heheheheh).. I probably could not live in CA because of the draconian treatment of smokers.

I get to the "dont tread on me" point real quick with pink lunger bastards who would rather limit options than simply choose a different fucking bar.

I totally agree to a point, dude.

I would say that if the apartment owner wanted smoke free units then so be it.

just like smoke free bars.

I do, however, absolutely hate how smokers have become the latest demographic up for crucification. Of course, Im a smoker so....

Pay for kids' health care? lets tax the smoker.
pay for government programs to reduce smoking (that simply does not work)? tax the smoker.
Its almost as if smokers are supposed to be some eternal fount of sin tax opportunity.

This, like emmidnant domain and guns, is an issue in which I part from my lefty comrads (heheheheh).. I probably could not live in CA because of the draconian treatment of smokers.

I get to the "dont tread on me" point real quick with pink lunger bastards who would rather limit options than simply choose a different fucking bar.

Ahhh memories, I remember pointing out the FEW things that seperated me from my lefty buddies years ago... Years from now you'll be talking about the few issues in which you part from your right...

One of the big problems I have with our party (I still consider myself a Dem.)is how it has embraced this group from the left that actually asks to have rights taken away...

Take away my right to smoke..(for my own good)
Take away my right to bear arms... (For my own good)
Fine me if I dont wear a setbelt..(for my own good)
fine me if I dont wear a helmet..(for my own good)
Take away my home and property...(for my own good)

The latest in NJ is home upkeep...

Some Democratic controlled municipalities have passed the law aready and more will fallow in NJ...

http://courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070926/NEWS01/709260363/-1/Haddonfield

The borough commission on Tuesday night unanimously approved a controversial ordinance that will regulate property maintenance here.

The final vote on the measure came after residents of this normally staid community clashed for about two hours at an often-emotional meeting.

Under the ordinance, the borough can require property owners to meet building standards detailed in the 10-page measure. If owners don't make the repairs, the borough can have the work done and can place a lien on the property to cover its expense.

Now do gooder libs want to tell you what you can and can't do in your own apartment or condo.

Is there any aspect of life libs do not want control over?

And they say Pres Bush is taking away your rights

Calif. cities mull smoking ban for apartments

By Wendy Koch, USA TODAY
Lawmakers in two California cities are discussing unprecedented legislation this month that would widen a growing voluntary movement by landlords and resident associations to ban smoking inside apartments and condos.
Next Tuesday, the City Council of Belmont is scheduled to cast a final vote on an ordinance that would ban smoking in apartments and condos. The measure, which won initial approval last week, could trigger fines and evictions if neighbors complain and smokers don't heed repeated warnings.

YOUR VIEW: What do you think of the Calif. proposals? If you smoke, where do you light up?
TENANTS TANGLE: Neighbors take sides on tobacco

In Calabasas on Wednesday, the City Council discussed a proposal that would expand its anti-smoking law to bar lighting up inside existing apartments and most new condos. The council agreed to request changes to the measure that would exempt all condos and set aside a certain percentage of apartments for smokers, says city spokesman Michael Hafken. It is slated to consider the revised proposal next month.

The legislative push, which has triggered death threats against council members in both cities, is a controversial part of a mostly voluntary effort to prod landlords and condo associations to adopt smoke-free policies.

Health officials in about 30 states promote the health and economic benefits, including reduced fire risk and lower cleanup costs for multiunit housing, says Jim Bergman, director of the Smoke-Free Environments Law Project, a Michigan group funded partly by the state.

Tens of thousands of apartments and condos have gone smoke-free in the past five years, management companies and health activists say. Last month, Guardian Management began phasing in a smoke-free policy at 8,000 of its rental units, mostly in Oregon and Washington.

"We've proven the voluntary approach can work very well," Bergman says. He doesn't think legislative bans will work because of a "my home is my castle" philosophy.

"The time has come. The evils of smoking have been known for decades," says Barry Groveman, a Calabasas councilman who co-wrote the proposal.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...s_N.htm?csp=34
Why are you blaming it on the Libs?? California is a Republican State.This is one libe who will be leaving California for good, by the 20th.

Why are you blaming it on the Libs?? California is a Republican State.This is one libe who will be leaving California for good, by the 20th.

I see you are red again, I have to spread some love before I can make you green you stupid old twat:rofl:

come on, donnie.. it's not the right that is taking the lead in this charge.

My town just enacted a smoking ban in bars this year. And, wouldnt you know it, the bars without patios either struggle or closed. Almost every pool hall closed. If you dont like smoke then go somewhere that is smoke free. It really is as simple as that. If a smoke friendly bar isnt thriving in a location dominated by non smokers then he'll move. If there is a market for smokers then why pretend there isnt? It's still my choice to smoke or not. Its still the apartment or bar woners choice to wager their investment on the smoking market. no one makes a non smoker go into a smoky bar.

and it sure the fuck isnt republicans using smokers as some sort of golden egg laying goose. This kind of shit would have lead to duals in colonial America. Truthfully, when it comes to shit like this, I almost want to have mine right after Burr and Hammilton.

Unless you own it, it isn't yours and is subject to certain conditions, live with it or fuck off.:eusa_angel:

Liberalism = Communism. When are people going to wake up?

At this point, obesity is a bigger health problem than smoking. When are the liberals going to put a limit on how much, when and what you can eat?

It's coming... mark my words. The liberals won't stop trying to control your life from birth to death until they do just that.

Liberals are this counties problem. We should declare war liberalism.

You are living in Oz. CA is a Republican state? Next you will say Hillary is a moderate, and Chris Matthews is an objective reporter

I'll concede that apartment building owners have the right to say whether or not their building will allow or not smoking. I'll also grant the right of condo/community associations to declare 'smoke free', though NOT retroactively.

I think restaurant/bar owners should be allowed the same rights. What seems unconstitutional to me are the 'laws' that take away the rights of property owners to choose what they wish. In Illinois, after 1/1/08, no restaurant/bar can have a smoking section, by law. That is wrong. Truth is, many would choose to not allow smoking, they already do. On the other hand, if they wish to make their establishment smoking, seems the government should NOT be involved.

I'll concede that apartment building owners have the right to say whether or not their building will allow or not smoking. I'll also grant the right of condo/community associations to declare 'smoke free', though NOT retroactively.

I think restaurant/bar owners should be allowed the same rights. What seems unconstitutional to me are the 'laws' that take away the rights of property owners to choose what they wish. In Illinois, after 1/1/08, no restaurant/bar can have a smoking section, by law. That is wrong. Truth is, many would choose to not allow smoking, they already do. On the other hand, if they wish to make their establishment smoking, seems the government should NOT be involved.

What ever happened to choice?

Why can't bar and restaurants choose to serve the smoking crowd, and other can serve the non smokers?

Why does the government have to take away rights of one group to appease another?

You are living in Oz. CA is a Republican state? Next you will say Hillary is a moderate, and Chris Matthews is an objective reporter
.............................................."

and do you really think Your COWARDLY neg reps bother me? Hell no, they are medals to me when YOU post them.

What ever happened to choice?

Why can't bar and restaurants choose to serve the smoking crowd, and other can serve the non smokers?

Why does the government have to take away rights of one group to appease another?

Many restaurants/bars choose to be non-smoking. It's well within their rights. On the other hand, many choose to accomodate those that smoke, but after New Year's will not be able to. What ever happened to the right of property ownership?

Many restaurants/bars choose to be non-smoking. It's well within their rights. On the other hand, many choose to accomodate those that smoke, but after New Year's will not be able to. What ever happened to the right of property ownership?

The nuts on the SC shot that in the ass about two years ago, and state and local government have been out of control ever since. We can hope that will be reversed soon

OMG, you actually said something intelligent.

As for me, I smoke cigars and refuse to give that habit up until I want to.
Its ironic that there are so many stupid laws restricting freedom in a country that boasts about its freedom.

honest non-partisanship.

amazing what ground can be covered when one is not busy trying to generalize liberals.

now go lick on a frozen turd.

honest non-partisanship.

amazing what ground can be covered when one is not busy trying to generalize liberals.

now go lick on a frozen turd.

you lost a lot of credibility with that inane post.
Maybe its best if you are placed on ignore.

hehehehehe...

Your call, stud.

Im sure ill miss your automatic pretension.

Looks to me like they're trying to hit Republicans where it hurts most...in their pockets. Everyone knows they've supported the tobacco industry the most.

Forum List

Back