Please tell me your story's about your father, grand father.. in the military

My Dad talked when he was drunk. I remember sitting on the living room floor and hearing what sounded like gunfire either from the movie or from a car backfiring and watching him jump up and panic because he didn't have his gun. He still has PTSD. He fights in his sleep. He was affected by Agent Orange and has been showing signs of dementia--which doesn't run in my family.

I vaguely remember a period of time where WW2 Vets talked down to Vietnam Vets because it wasn't a real war and they didn't have all of these problems when they came back. I was so young that I don't know if that was real sentiment being expressed by a few WW2 Vets, a lot of WW2 Vets, some type of media propaganda or something else. In fact, that could have been around the time they actually came up with the term PTSD and it could have been a backlash against that.

My Dad talked when he was drunk. I remember sitting on the living room floor and hearing what sounded like gunfire either from the movie or from a car backfiring and watching him jump up and panic because he didn't have his gun. He still has PTSD. He fights in his sleep. He was affected by Agent Orange and has been showing signs of dementia--which doesn't run in my family.

I vaguely remember a period of time where WW2 Vets talked down to Vietnam Vets because it wasn't a real war and they didn't have all of these problems when they came back. I was so young that I don't know if that was real sentiment being expressed by a few WW2 Vets, a lot of WW2 Vets, some type of media propaganda or something else. In fact, that could have been around the time they actually came up with the term PTSD and it could have been a backlash against that.

The sound of gunfire never startled me even when a little kid. You can handle it or not. My genes run to the sound of gunfire and most likely a recessive gene inherited from The Erie Tribe of native Americans.

The sound of gunfire never startled me even when a little kid. You can handle it or not. My genes run to the sound of gunfire and most likely a recessive gene inherited from The Erie Tribe of native Americans.

It's PTSD, hon.

...my father fought at the Chosin Korea
..after the USMC was one of the few units to defeat the Chinese in the Chinese First Offensive,[ while the rest of the UN troops were pounded/defeated ] the Chinese targeted the USMC 1st Division for annihilation by many Chinese divisions
....after 2 days of fighting, with little sleep, not much food, temps 30 below [ not wind chill ], hilly-icy terrain, ''surrounded'', greatly outnumbered, they made a tough overland march to help Fox Company which was in a bad situation
...my father got hit, and his hometown buddy found him---then his buddy got hit....then this buddy was resting--sleeping near the end of the day when one of the last vehicles was going by....another hometown buddy thought he should check out what/who it was, just for the hell of it---luckily he did, for the buddy that found my dad, might have been left behind
...this was hometown buddies looking out for each other/etc

It's PTSD, hon.

OK, but PTSD is a fake disorder suffered by cowards. No wonder Patton slapped the cowardly soldier.

It's PTSD, hon.

OK, but PTSD is a fake disorder suffered by cowards. No wonder Patton slapped the cowardly soldier.

lolwut?

WWll vets had the total support of the American public and felt good about doing their duty for their country. There was a front line and a military objective. The soldiers were enthusiastically welcomed home with parades and such. Growing up, just about every dad in my neighborhood was a WWll war veteran, and they were well adjusted men, who continued their careers, married, had kids, bought homes and cars. and generally lived a normal life.

The Vietnam vets experience was a whole different animal. The country was divided about the Vietnam war. There was no common sense military objective, and no front line to battle the enemy. The American soldier fought gallantly, but politically, historically, and militarily, war was stinker from the get go. We were using WWll military tactics to fight a guerrilla war.

When the Vietnam vet returned home their were no parades, no pat on the back; just an indifferent public who would rather forget the Vietnam misadventure and humiliating defeat at the hands of asian rice farmers. I'm sure that affected many vets deeply, with a sense of failure, that led to depression.

I know the day I separated from the service after my two year conscription was completed. I ditched my military gear, put on civilian clothes, and went home. I never mentioned to my friends where I had been, and none asked me. I just got on with my life, marriage, career, raising kids, buying a home.

It wasn't until about 30 years later, as I was filling out a form for a bank loan or something, and checked the box where it enquired if you were a veteran. The lady said, "Thank you for your service". I was startled, and it left me speechless. It was the first time anyone had ever said that to me. ... :cool:

Last edited:
No, it's not a fake disorder. I've known a vet or two that suffered from it.

But sadly, many vets today are using it as an excuse to scam the system and receive extra benefits they don't deserve. ... :cool:

I will go first my grandfather landed on Normandy, it was Ohio beach, it was the third wave , he got hit in the fore arm and made his way up..

He was a tank mechanic during the rest of the war

When he died I was there so was the US military and gave him a 12 gun salute at his funeral.

I loved my grandfather alot.. we used to play ball together he took me to a bunch of Chicago cubs games ..one heck of a man.
My family never talk about what they dide they all went into intellegence. I would imagine they spent most of their time staring at aireal photos.

WWll vets had the total support of the American public and felt good about doing their duty for their country. There was a front line and a military objective. The soldiers were enthusiastically welcomed home with parades and such. Growing up, just about every dad in my neighborhood was a WWll war veteran, and they were well adjusted men, who continued their careers, married, had kids, bought homes and cars. and generally lived a normal life.

The Vietnam vets experience was a whole different animal. The country was divided about the Vietnam war. There was no common sense military objective, and no front line to battle the enemy. The American soldier fought gallantly, but politically, historically, and militarily, war was stinker from the get go. We were using WWll military tactics to fight a guerrilla war.

When the Vietnam vet returned home their were no parades, no pat on the back; just an indifferent public who would rather forget the Vietnam misadventure and humiliating defeat at the hands of asian rice farmers. I'm sure that affected many vets deeply, with a sense of failure, that led to depression.

I know the day I separated from the service after my two year conscription was completed. I ditched my military gear, put on civilian clothes, and went home. I never mentioned to my friends where I had been, and none asked me. I just got on with my life, marriage, career, raising kids, buying a home.

It wasn't until about 30 years later, as I was filling out a form for a bank loan or something, and checked the box where it enquired if you were a veteran. The lady said, "Thank you for your service". I was startled, and it left me speechless. It was the first time anyone had ever said that to me. ... :cool:

Let's delve deeper if you dare, kill the enemy before the enemy kills you.

I'm curious, I know there is the guy on Youtube that does all those stolen valor videos for people that say they are Navy Seals. Is there anyone on here that knows how to check and see if someone was really an Army Ranger? I'd be interested to know if my step-dad is full of shit or not.

Ranger School Graduation Gallery-Downloads

Just photos. Ask for his class number.

I don't talk to him anymore. He does have a unique name, so if there were ever a database I could easily find his name. Bruce Strohmaier.

I'm curious, I know there is the guy on Youtube that does all those stolen valor videos for people that say they are Navy Seals. Is there anyone on here that knows how to check and see if someone was really an Army Ranger? I'd be interested to know if my step-dad is full of shit or not.

Yes, there is, if you're serious.

Military Personnel Records, SF-180

Ranger School Graduation Gallery-Downloads

Just photos. Ask for his class number.

I don't talk to him anymore. He does have a unique name, so if there were ever a database I could easily find his name. Bruce Strohmaier.

Sorry, the class graduation pictures are the best I can do.

As I said on post #16, my father was a career Army officer and a veteran of WWll and the Korean war. He was a Lt. Colonel with 26 years of service, when the Army offered him the rank of "full bird" Colonel, but he would have to got to Vietnam, and stay in the service until full retirement of 30 years

It was the mid 1960's and the Vietnam war was heating up. Gen. Eisenhower is reported to have said, "Never fight a land war in Asia", (although that quote has been attributed to other military leaders). And I once heard my father repeat that quote. He had fought the N Koreans and the Chinese to a stalemate, and finally a political settlement during the Korean War, and knew first hand the wisdom of Eisenhower's sage words.

So my father decided to retire, and forgo the promotion and a one year tour in Vietnam.

He once told me after he retired, that we were going to lose the Vietnam war. And I remembered those prophetic words when I received my draft notice a couple of years later.

A second prophetic thing my father said, was that America's wars in the future would be fought in the Middle East. ... :cool:

I work and would never be a privileged officer and thank your dad for his service. Enlisted Men more times than not have more power than Officers including the Time Out.

My Ol' Man was a Staff Sgt. in the 3rd Army moving in to rescue the troops surrounded by the Nazis. Their Lt. was killed so they were sent a 90-day wonder with no combat experience. The Lt. ordered the men to take cover in a building. My Ol' Man told him the men were safer taking cover in the rubble in the streets, that most buildings were bobby trapped. The Lt. ordered them into a building which then exploded. Most everyone was killed. My Dad lost his left leg and had shrapnel both hands. The fire in the explosion had cauterized his leg so he didn't bleed to death. It was two days before the front reached them with medics.

My Ol' Man, like millions of others and joined the Army in April 1941. He was a DI and taught motor-pool at Camp Blanding near Starke FL when I was born on D-Day. He was transferred out to a training camp for soldiers joining Patton's 3rd Army. He was transferred to France in August or Sept. Months went by before letters caught up to him or letters got to my Mom who had moved back home to Chicago with me.

My Ol' Man was a Staff Sgt. in the 3rd Army moving in to rescue the troops surrounded by the Nazis. Their Lt. was killed so they were sent a 90-day wonder with no combat experience. The Lt. ordered the men to take cover in a building. My Ol' Man told him the men were safer taking cover in the rubble in the streets, that most buildings were bobby trapped. The Lt. ordered them into a building which then exploded. Most everyone was killed. My Dad lost his left leg and had shrapnel both hands. The fire in the explosion had cauterized his leg so he didn't bleed to death. It was two days before the front reached them with medics.

Recently I found the letters he had sent home to my Mom while he was overseas. One letter she mailed in October was returned in December stamped "NO RECORD". Not long after that, she got a postcard saying he had been critically injured and where to send future mail. I also found his uniform, he was an expert marksman, had two Bronze Stars and a Silver Star and a Purple Heart. I still do not know for what he was awarded the stars.

This was censored as to his location and they had been pulled back from the front lines for a rest. In February he was injured.
9%20Jan%201945%20Rest%20Camp-X2.jpg

This was from the front lines in Germany. I guess they were censored on what they could say because here again, he says he has nothing to write. I think it was two days later he was critically injured.

Edited-X2.jpg

Here is the envelope that floated around for months.
IMG%200001%20Censored-X3.jpg

Notice sent by the Defense Department.
IMG_0003%20Censored-X2.jpg

He never won any awards for Father of the Year but he did the best he could. He was a tough ol' bastard and I learned early to never cry because anything "hurt". I was heartbroken when he died some 20+ years ago.

My maternal and paternal grandfathers neither one served in the military... Reasons for I have no answer... My father was born in 26 and went to work for the rail road when he was 16 years of age... Worked for 4 years and enlisted in the Army in 46 and was sent to Post War Germany for 2 years... Returned to his job on the RR and in 52 was enlisted and sent to the Philippines for 2 years... Nothing exciting, just serving the Country...
My FIL was a little different... I don't know a whole lot of the details, but I will share a few things I do know... Very intelligent man... Graduated from a Technical High School when he was 16 years of age. When he seventeen he and an older brother joined (with mothers written permission) the Army Air Corp... Was stationed at Wheeler Army Airfield on the Island of Oahu... Which just happens to be the first Military installation the Japanese Imperial fleet attacked on their way to Pearl... He had been chosen prior to Dec. 7th to work in the Army Intelligence area... He said that they were aware that something was amiss, they just hadn't put the right puzzle pieces together... Interesting enough he was assigned to watch a German Family that lived on the North Shore of Oahu... This all happened weeks prior to the attack...
He an his brother and some friends were preparing to go on a Picnic at the beach at Haleiwa when the first bombers flew over... He was not injured but he did lose contact with his brother for 4 or 5 days...
He never shared with me to much more than what I have said... He was one of the first non-commissioned officers to receive permission from the Territorial Governor to stay in Hawaii when he received his discharge...
I have met a lot on people in my life, but few will ever live up to the quality of this gentlemen...

Last edited:
Grandfather went to France, a captain in the Quartermaster Corps. Father was Army Air Corps, tested dropping napalm barrels on islands around Panama for a while when they were developing that stuff, and then went to an airborne unit assigned to the Pacific theater, did several jumps in the Philippines and went on from there to Japan. Had an uncle at North Africa, Sicily, and Anzio, one at Iwo, one a B-17 gunner with 25 missions over Germany. Youngest uncle served in Korea as Air Force mechanic. All were dead by the late 1980's.

Dad's best friend was a staff Sergeant in Patton's staff, his driver when they went into Sicily and sometimes in Europe, ethnic German fellow. He said a lot of the stories were just PR rubbish, and Patton wasn't crazy; he would have been dead in North Africa if he had been nuts. A large part of his success was in picking competent staff officers and listening to them. Omar Bradley was key to some of his early successes. He did well on his own later. Great Division commander, not that great as an Army commander, which is why he made sure his staff was good. A willingness to listen to people smarter than him was what made him a great leader; many in his position wouldn't have, and many lost their lives over the ego trips. Patton's sponsoring of Eisenhower jumping over the others in the 'good old boy' system to a top command was also an act of great leadership and competence.

Last edited:
Grandfather went to France, a captain in the Quartermaster Corps. Father was Army Air Corps, tested dropping napalm barrels on islands around Panama for a while when they were developing that stuff, and then went to an airborne unit assigned to the Pacific theater, did several jumps in the Philippines and went on from there to Japan. Had an uncle at North Africa, Sicily, and Anzio, one at Iwo, one a B-17 gunner with 25 missions over Germany. Youngest uncle served in Korea as Air Force mechanic. All were dead by the late 1980's.

Dad's best friend was a staff Sergeant in Patton's staff, his driver when they went into Sicily and sometimes in Europe, ethnic German fellow. He said a lot of the stories were just PR rubbish, and Patton wasn't crazy; he would have been dead in North Africa if he had been nuts. A large part of his success was in picking competent staff officers and listening to them. Omar Bradley was key to some of his early successes.

That gave me chills, thank you for sharing ..

Forum List

Back