Please tell me your story's about your father, grand father.. in the military

Grandfather went to France, a captain in the Quartermaster Corps. Father was Army Air Corps, tested dropping napalm barrels on islands around Panama for a while when they were developing that stuff, and then went to an airborne unit assigned to the Pacific theater, did several jumps in the Philippines and went on from there to Japan. Had an uncle at North Africa, Sicily, and Anzio, one at Iwo, one a B-17 gunner with 25 missions over Germany. Youngest uncle served in Korea as Air Force mechanic. All were dead by the late 1980's.

Dad's best friend was a staff Sergeant in Patton's staff, his driver when they went into Sicily and sometimes in Europe, ethnic German fellow. He said a lot of the stories were just PR rubbish, and Patton wasn't crazy; he would have been dead in North Africa if he had been nuts. A large part of his success was in picking competent staff officers and listening to them. Omar Bradley was key to some of his early successes. He did well on his own later. Great Division commander, not that great as an Army commander, which is why he made sure his staff was good. A willingness to listen to people smarter than him was what made him a great leader; many in his position wouldn't have, and many lost their lives over the ego trips. Patton's sponsoring of Eisenhower jumping over the others in the 'good old boy' system to a top command was also an act of great leadership and competence.
Dad's best friend was a staff Sergeant in Patton's staff, his driver when they went into Sicily and sometimes in Europe, ethnic German fellow. He said a lot of the stories were just PR rubbish,

This is how I know your telling the truth..

Grandfather went to France, a captain in the Quartermaster Corps. Father was Army Air Corps, tested dropping napalm barrels on islands around Panama for a while when they were developing that stuff, and then went to an airborne unit assigned to the Pacific theater, did several jumps in the Philippines and went on from there to Japan. Had an uncle at North Africa, Sicily, and Anzio, one at Iwo, one a B-17 gunner with 25 missions over Germany. Youngest uncle served in Korea as Air Force mechanic. All were dead by the late 1980's.

Dad's best friend was a staff Sergeant in Patton's staff, his driver when they went into Sicily and sometimes in Europe, ethnic German fellow. He said a lot of the stories were just PR rubbish, and Patton wasn't crazy; he would have been dead in North Africa if he had been nuts. A large part of his success was in picking competent staff officers and listening to them. Omar Bradley was key to some of his early successes. He did well on his own later. Great Division commander, not that great as an Army commander, which is why he made sure his staff was good. A willingness to listen to people smarter than him was what made him a great leader; many in his position wouldn't have, and many lost their lives over the ego trips. Patton's sponsoring of Eisenhower jumping over the others in the 'good old boy' system to a top command was also an act of great leadership and competence.
Dad's best friend was a staff Sergeant in Patton's staff, his driver when they went into Sicily and sometimes in Europe, ethnic German fellow. He said a lot of the stories were just PR rubbish,

^^ I apologize you are the real deal, my friend

OK, but PTSD is a fake disorder suffered by cowards. No wonder Patton slapped the cowardly soldier.
No, it's not a fake disorder. I've known a vet or two that suffered from it.

But sadly, many vets today are using it as an excuse to scam the system and receive extra benefits they don't deserve. ... :cool:

I got the 'shakes' about half the time, an hour or so after what-ever it was was over and my body was trying to get rid of the adrenaline rushes. Didn't feel like anything but a chemical re-balancing, certainly not a disability, if I kept busy it was fairly mild and went away, but I guess if somebody had a really sheltered life the shock might be severe enough to have long term effects.

Well, he wasn't the only General who was concerned about playing the press; it can be helpful at times, and they nearly all did it.

OK, but PTSD is a fake disorder suffered by cowards. No wonder Patton slapped the cowardly soldier.

But sadly, many vets today are using it as an excuse to scam the system and receive extra benefits they don't deserve. ... :cool:

I got the 'shakes' about half the time, an hour or so after what-ever it was was over and my body was trying to get rid of the adrenaline rushes. Didn't feel like anything but a chemical re-balancing, certainly not a disability, if I kept busy it was fairly mild and went away, but I guess if somebody had a really sheltered life the shock might be severe enough to have long term effects.

It is impossible for me to delve deeper without releasing classified info. I will tell you the square root of two is in the speed of light, 1.414.

It is impossible for me to delve deeper without releasing classified info. I will tell you the square root of two is in the speed of light, 1.414.

It's easy for me to delve; those without any fear responses are usually sociopaths or lunatics, and we didn't want any of those around us, for obvious reasons.

Dad told me about liberating Dachau , how they gave away every ration they had on 'em.....

dachau-concentration-camp-germany-in-april-1945prisoners-celebrate-picture-id113994934

~S~

My Dad turned 17 late in 1943. He joined the Navy and spent the next 19 months in the Pacific, mostly on CV-19, USS Hancock.

The last week of his life he told me why he never ate seafood. When the war ended, the Hancock was docked near the shore, the crew used to count how many human bodies floated past that day. They would often see fish taking bites.

He's gone a while now and I always try to remember to thank a veteran and have a special affinity for WWII vets

Fair winds and following seas, Pop

Dad told me about liberating Dachau , how they gave away every ration they had on 'em.....

dachau-concentration-camp-germany-in-april-1945prisoners-celebrate-picture-id113994934

~S~

My father in law was there as well. We found a notebook that he made references to where he was at while in.

Wish I had it but his Son took it. What I read was horrifying.

From what i gather , everyone knew people were disappearing during the war , but the true nature of concentration camps was only revealed when the allies liberated them.

Dad said some troops just 'lost it' walking into it all....

~S~

My Dad turned 17 late in 1943. He joined the Navy and spent the next 19 months in the Pacific, mostly on CV-19, USS Hancock.

The last week of his life he told me why he never ate seafood. When the war ended, the Hancock was docked near the shore, the crew used to count how many human bodies floated past that day. They would often see fish taking bites.

He's gone a while now and I always try to remember to thank a veteran and have a special affinity for WWII vets

Do you eat seafood?

Do you eat seafood?

I do. I also practiced several Japanese martial arts and sumi-e

Do you eat seafood?

We're opposites. I'm a veggie and I did Karate once and decided I wouldn't be good at it.

Do you eat seafood?

We're opposites. I'm a veggie and I did Karate once and decided I wouldn't be good at it.
I did Kendo when Reagan was President, first term. I later, much later, went to aikido on and off, mostly off now, for the past 18 years

Do you eat seafood?

I did Kendo when Reagan was President, first term. I later, much later, went to aikido on and off, mostly off now, for the past 18 years

All I can say is, if I see you down a dark alley, I'm hoping I can run faster than you, or I'm covered in green goo.

Do you eat seafood?

All I can say is, if I see you down a dark alley, I'm hoping I can run faster than you, or I'm covered in green goo.

LOL Neither

Aikido is pure self defense, no kicks or strikes, uses the attack against the attacker

My father did 20 years in the Navy. Retired in 1957 as a QMC.

Spent a good part of WWII chasing German subs around the North Atlantic before heading to the South Pacific.

Do you eat seafood?

LOL Neither

Aikido is pure self defense, no kicks or strikes, uses the attack against the attacker

That's good, as long as you don't use some trickery to force me to attack you so you can "defend yourself".

Forum List

Back